Author Topic: Do we need to know what plane type we are fighting?  (Read 850 times)

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Do we need to know what plane type we are fighting?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2002, 06:25:57 AM »
Shift
Good idea!

Fariz
Great development

Pepe
Perfect combination of all three

If HTC would kindly give more icon options for h2h HOST, then we could at least test different icon setups by our self without any harm to the MA-fanatic-fans.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2002, 07:24:48 AM »
Good idea shift.

I’d rather see just the country and distance without the ID.  Maybe make the ID visible at 1.0 and less.

Actually lets replace the aircraft ID with handle and enable us the function of highlighting an enemy :D.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2002, 08:02:40 AM »
yep... if we had no icons then everyone that had any brains would be flying only the fastest planes.. if you flew early planes you would be doing a lot of fruitless chasing... In this game I can't tell the difference between the various spit or 109 models til i am close enough that they are gonna get shot up or I am committed to a fight with them.  

I would like even more ID in the ma... I want each spit and 109 and zeke and 51 and hog and f4f etc. variation to have it's own icon.

Allways cracks me up when I see these late war guys begging for even more advantage... sheesh... not enough for you yet?
lazs

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Re: Do we need to know what plane type we are fighting?
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2002, 08:23:45 AM »
Originally posted by Shift

I do, at least reasonably so - after merge is a bit late for me.

Offline Shift

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2002, 10:00:31 AM »
thx guys some great inputs..............I think fariz pretty much wrapped it up.............that idea would be great for the MA.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2002, 09:37:36 AM by Shift »

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2002, 03:14:28 PM »
I've always thought it was silly that you could tell the specific plane at 5k.  I don't care how good your eyes are, at 5k yards you'd be lucky to tell it was a Spit instead of a 109, or Yak, let alone tell which kind of Spit it is.

Fariz' idea is almost ideal.  My only problem with it is could you really tell the difference between a Tempest and a Typh at 3k in RL?  How about an La-5 and an La-7?  Same goes for the different Zeros.  I think that for very similar planes with completely different names like the above, it should do something like show Typhoon at 3k and at 1k either change to Tempest, or stay Typhoon.  It should default to the most commonly used of the planes.

The only other thing that might be better would be some kind of code to indicate A/C type at long ranges.  Something like F1 or F2 would indicate single-engined fighter and twin-engined fighters respectively.  BL, BM, BH could indicate light, medium and heavy bombers respectively (C-47 would be medium).  That might just be too complex and not really serve any purpose though.  I'm just brainstorming.

I would like the option of turning on A/C type on friendly icons.  It's not realistic, but it would save needless radio chatter.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2002, 03:23:23 PM »
Originally posted by Yippee38
....I would like the option of turning on A/C type on friendly icons.  It's not realistic, but it would save needless radio chatter.

You have it right now.  Just hit ALT-I.  

F.

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2002, 03:35:05 PM »
I don't want to turn OFF icons.  I want to be able to see that that plane in the distance in my ally Furious and he's flying an La-7.  Right now all I would know is that it is you, not what kind of plane you are flying.

Am I wrong?  I never really messed with ALT-I.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2002, 03:39:46 PM »
Yeah, you should try it.  It cycles through 4 modes

1st = friendly plane icons
2nd = friendly icons only
3rd = no icons
4th = back to normal

might be messed up on 2 and 3, but am at work and cannot check.

F.

Offline WineMan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2002, 04:51:56 PM »
At the very least, it would be nice if once the con disappeared into clouds, the Plane-type Icon would disappear as well.