Author Topic: Can anyone hit anything in an OSTY?  (Read 737 times)

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Can anyone hit anything in an OSTY?
« on: December 13, 2002, 12:48:25 AM »
Hi Gents and Ladies,

I dont usually take up Ostwinds but HOW THE HELL do you hit something with them?  I can usually hit baddies when they are heading straight at me but finding the lead angle on them is hard.  

Any tips?:)

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2002, 12:55:22 AM »
Even though I've primarily switched to the M-16, this sight has helped me a bunch when I'm desperate and want an osty.  

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72274

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2002, 03:18:43 AM »
Shells traverse slow, and as some people point out, the Ostwind shells should work like 5 inch guns on CVs and CAs, but a lot weaker.

IMO, Ostwinds are mostly for threatening enemy vulchers not to come close to the base, so it can buy time for friendlies to get up and fight. M16s are much more effective, but the enemy knows they are much weaker in armor than Ostwinds, so there's always some nutcase who will choose to suicide himself with the M16 MGMC. Everybody knows Ostwinds are tougher to knock out, and a 1 ping can kill you. This makes even the dodos think twice, thus, buying some time for a frdly to get up.

Offline Shift

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 09:48:22 AM »
For targets that are moving around above you, you will have to use a large amout of lead in your shot.................most porbably much more than you would think.

I often fly around ostwinds just to see their tracers go below me and behind me...............i often soom in as much as i can and at around 2.0k start fireing at the planes with him completly out of my gunsight moving it in the direction he is and placing the gunsight in front of him.

Of course this is extremelly varied  and kweassea is right ostwinds aren't great for that but they can still be used very effectivelly.

The ostwind gunsight is what i use also and after a few missions it increased my accuracy considerably.

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2002, 05:33:15 PM »
possibly can be seen as gameing but:

1:zoom in on site as muh as possible and place mouse on center
2:push forward on POV and push page up until you are looking over site, save with F10

now when you shot you can see clearly and follow your tracers and see if they are falling behind or passing in front.

if you have ever been clay shooting you'll under stand, track the target with the site and continue to follow through the target along its flight path and continue to extend the site away from the target, all the time fireing.

for targets aiming diveing on you, aim above target and lower until you hit it, :)

Offline Flittt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2002, 08:51:07 PM »
I never use the sight. I raise the POV all the way up in most views, zoom in halfway and save (f10) and use "Kentucky Windage "
 I zoom when I'm shooting and back the view out when i'm not.
 Practice and you  can get pretty  good
 Got me a 2.5 k kill as he was going away and  turning the other day
 Try to find a zoom level that put your target and your shots on the edge of view at the same time as your tracking at a certen range
 Works for me

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2002, 01:09:23 AM »
I often wonder why we got the Ostwind in AH instead of the Wirbelwind, which was simply an earlier Ostwind with 4 20mm Flak 38 cannons instead of one 37mm Flak 43.

In reality, the Germans found that the Ostwind's single 37mm was a more effective AA platform than the 20mm's, largely because the 37 mm had much better range.  The numbers support their assertion, and the Ostwind WAS a more lethal weapon, in the real war.

But, in AH, most people can't hit a thing with it, and personally I think 4 20mm cannons with a total RPM of about 800-900 (3200 rounds in total) would be more effective in defending an object like an airstrip from vulchers.

Then again, perhaps HTC decided they might be a little too effective at short ranges, given their heavy armor, and went with the M16 option instead, which is somewhat equivalent but with a glass jaw.

Offline Jagv81st

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2002, 02:33:59 PM »
Hey TG
  I feel your pain man. My only chance of a kill is if its either 150 infront of me or if its a damn goon. I use the 16 about 95%  of the time. I can hit like a maddog with that.  Sorry buddy.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2002, 02:46:51 PM »
Landed 3 kills in an Osty last night.... usually get at least one kill, but don't often get to land them, either ditching or getting killed.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline NHMadmax

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mofsw.com
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2002, 10:33:49 PM »
try this gun site see if it helps

Offline NHMadmax

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mofsw.com
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2002, 10:38:42 PM »
also have one for M16

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2002, 01:18:20 PM »
yep i hit stuff in it all the time...the trick with the ostie is a plane taking the ostie out not the other way around