Author Topic: HOLY CRAP  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
HOLY CRAP
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2001, 03:56:00 PM »
Oops!

Should have read the other thread first.

OK...it seems you don't like the production numbers...or the comment about capping 262s.

Well, folks...what we have here is another case of dueling books. Is one person's reference better than another's? Maybe...but, when it comes to the nits, who cares?

The SimHQ writer may have used William Green's 'The Warplanes of the Third Reich' as his source. That book is now almost 30 years old...perhaps Mr Green didn't have the info on LW production and allocation that we now have.

Personally, I'm just happy that SimHQ got you the shots. Sorry about any misinformation that may have been included.

Andy

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
HOLY CRAP
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2001, 04:09:00 PM »

Only 200 or so variants of the Ta 152 were produced before production facilities were overrun by the Soviets in the spring of 1945. Oddly, the Ta 152 was never really used in its original purpose of high altitude interceptor, rather it was used to defend another thoroughbred of the Luftwaffe, the Me 262 which was vulnerable to enemy fighters during takeoffs and landings.

Andy, there were only around 50 Ta152's completed (actually assigned werk #'s), the large majority of which were Ta152H0's and almost half of the production aircraft were destroyed on the ground before they were ever flown by an active unit. Beyond the prototypes, only 3 production Ta152H1's were completed, specifically #150 167, #150 168 and #150 169.

Also, the "used to defend Me262's on takeoff" is a huge urban myth. I don't have time right now to dig thru my reference for an exact quote, but it is documented in

Focke Wulf Ta152,  The Story of the Luftwaffes Late War, High Altitude Fighter, by Dieter Hartman. ISBN#: 0-7643-0860-2

This book was researched using original German RLM & Focke Wulf factory documents.  It was originally published in German as Focke-Wulf Ta152, Der Weg zum Hohenjager by Aviatic Verlag.

It is very informative, and goes as far as documenting every known werk# ever assigned to the Ta152 aircraft, including prototypes.

Regarding the information in the article concerning the Yak's, it seems that the author is liberally mixing up the Yak-9U, Yak-9T, and the Yak-9UT, in regards to what is available or will currently be available in Aces High, . And the entire last several sentences concerning the Yak's seem to be lifted verbatim from several websites that I looked at today.

But don't get me wrong, the screenshots were incredible  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 02-20-2001).]

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
HOLY CRAP
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2001, 04:45:00 PM »
Verm

No problem, really!

I've gone thru all the web sites and books that I can find...and I'm confused!

Is this right?

The 9T replaced the 20mm with the 37mm.

The 9U was a late model that was 'all-metal' and had the 20mm.

The 9UT was the U with a 37mm.

Andy

-towd_

HOLY CRAP
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2001, 05:51:00 PM »
where the hell is wildwing when we need him .  i for one am pissed  

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
HOLY CRAP
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2001, 06:34:00 PM »
Close, if not right on Andy  

The Yak-9T is essentially the midwar Yak-9D, but it replaced the 20mm hub cannon with the NS-37 37mm cannon.

The Yak-9U (currently in AH) is the late war version of the Yak-9 series, with the best engine/power/weight combination that saw series production in WWII.

The Yak-9UT is essentially the big cannon version of the Yak-9U. It used a universal hub gun mount, capable of mounting either a B-20 20mm cannon, a 23mm NS-23 cannon, a 37mm NS-37 cannon, or the grand daddy of them all the 45mm NS-45 cannon. This universal hub mount was developed as a part of the Yak-9T, Yak-9K, and Yak-9TK programs (all very close to the Yak-9T program). Its also important to note that the x2 cowl mounted UBS 12.7mm Machineguns of the standard Yak-9U were also replaced with the B-20 20mm cannons. So essentially you had x2 20mm cannons in the cowling, plus one hub mounted cannon capable of ranging from 20mm to 45mm.

Its also important to note that a Yak-9UT would perform very similarly to the current Yak-9U (depending on which gun was installed), but have a WHOLE lot more firepower.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
HOLY CRAP
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2001, 12:52:00 AM »

Originally posted by fats:
Ju 88 could use RATO pods as well? Well some version of it or maybe it was some prototype only I forget.

// fats

Correct! The Ju 88A-2 was the first model with the wing modified to accept the Walter 1,100lbs thrust RATO pods.

The rockets, referred to as both R-Gerate( for Rauchgerate, Smoke Devices) or Startraketen(start rockets) were completely self-contained. The upper framework mounted to the wing by three hooks. These hooks fastened into attachment points on the underside of the wing. The front attachment points were accessible through openings in the underwing dive brakes, while the third point was located in front of the trailing edge flaps. The forward portion of each pod contained a recovery parachute which opened after the pod was jettisoned. Each re-useable rocket pod provided approximately 25-30 seconds of useable thrust. Special ground crews were responsible for the installation and recovery of the 'ATO' (assist take off) pods and these rocket packs became an optional feature on practically all subsequent Ju 88A variants.

So here's the wish list for the Ju 88A-4 then:

1. 1000kg bombs
2. MG FF 20mm gondola cannon
3. RATO pods
4. WB-81 machinegun pods
5. AB 250,500,1000 cluster munition dispensers
6. Bomb bay fuel tanks
7. 900l drop tanks

8. Ju 88C-6, S-1, Ju 188A-2, etc.  

[This message has been edited by juzz (edited 02-21-2001).]