Author Topic: Looking for a WW2 Soldier  (Read 250 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Looking for a WW2 Soldier
« on: December 15, 2002, 09:27:12 AM »
I am looking for an american soldier that served in Iceland in WW2. His name was Otto Strait, and that's about all I know.
I presume he was with the infantry though.
Are there any sources/archives online? Does anyone have links to veteran associations etc?
All help appreciated.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2002, 09:54:30 AM »
Good luck on your search... especially since the minimum age for WW2 vets would be 76 or so.  Most are in their 80s.

AKDejaVu

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2002, 03:01:28 PM »
the US soldiers stationed in iceland during ww2 where USMC (6th marines I think).

hope that gets you closer

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2002, 04:54:06 AM »
Here is a picture of him, probably taken in Reykjavik in 1941.
Being occupied by the British and Americans turned out very different than general occupations elsewhere, - those were the best of times in Iceland! The war effected us of course, and percentegevise Icelanders had more casualties than the Americans.  (Fishermen being gunned down or torpedoed by German U-boats). But the armies built roads and airfields, bought goods and hired working labour, and brought various goods as well. Apart from that they behaved very well, and generally made friends with the inhabitants.
The Picture is on the front cover of a book about the occupation that's just been published.  The author is curious to know what happened about the soldier (and who the little one is as well) and I am trying to aid him in that quest.
Since "Otto Strait" is a fairly uncommon name, I think there may be hope, - John Smith would have been worse:D
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 07:46:56 AM »

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.