Author Topic: 3 Countries...which is going to be the wiping boy?  (Read 351 times)

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
3 Countries...which is going to be the wiping boy?
« on: August 03, 1999, 10:49:00 AM »
Hi all,

Getting closer to beta time    In another thread HT or Pyro said there was going to be 3 countries.

My questions is how are we going to prevent a 2 on 1 scenerio all the time.  I mean if country 1 is attacking country 2 then countries 1 and 2 will be at war so what will country 3 do?  If it attacks country 1, country 1 will be fighting both 2 and 3.  If country 3 attacks country 2 instead then country 2 will be fighting 3 and 1.

Even with the fact that countries will see all opposing A/C as the same color one country is always going to be fighting the assests of the other two countries.  Or am I missing something here?  If so please explain it to me, just use small words and speak slowly  

Sharky Out

Offline shdo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 1999, 11:04:00 AM »
The thing that is nice and may help this problem is that you won't be able to tell what country an enemy is flying for. As HT said in an earlier thread (praphrasing) - your country will be a color (possibly definable) and the other two countries will both be the same color.

this means that while the "Knights" and the "Rooks" may be attacking the "Bishops" the "Knights" will not beable to tell the "Rooks" from the "Bishops".

it would not be impossible for the gangbang to happen but it should be more difficult.

shdo

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 1999, 11:38:00 AM »
Gangbangs still happen.

WWII

U.S./Great Britian/France/Canada/Russia/Etc. -VS-
Germany, Italy, Japan.

Recently, 40 COuntries -vs- Iraq.

and again, 20 or so -vs- Bosnia?

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 1999, 12:22:00 PM »
Not that it won't happen, but it most likely won't be like the 4 country setup in WB's, where the two largest country's each pick one of the weak guys and have 2 practically seperate simultaneous 2 sided wars.

In AW, this is typically what happens with the 3 sided war. Say you have 50 Az, 40 Bz, 15 Cz. Per the typical gangbang mentality, Az will be attack the Cz. Bz may or may not be attacking the Cz. After a while Bz will notice that all the Az are down in Cz land, and go "hmmmm... opportunity". Then they will attack Az, Az then gets pissed and switches focus to Bz.

What I'm trying to say is that typically the two largest countries square off against each other and the third country floats between the other two, usually attacking the largest.

Its not perfect, but it tends to work better than the WB's 4 country setup.

------------------
Vermillion **MOL**
"Shooting is NEVER too good for my enemys" --Evil Overlord

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 1999, 01:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys,

I was thinking that the other thing that might happen is that the country that's light on pilots might switch sides and we wind up with a two country war.  

Sharky Out

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 1999, 02:09:00 PM »
You will be able to tell your enemies apart from each other even though they appear same color. There will be a symbol next to the plane type denoting which country the enemy is.

//fats

oooo 111th Fighter Group

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 1999, 02:22:00 PM »
#1 I will never allow my squad to take part in any alliance and we will quickly attack the new ally.

#2 Who cares???  Did war suddenly become covered by Soccer rules?

------------------
Otto CO 111th Fighter Group        ziggy2@home.com          
111th Fighter Group     www.cris.com/~ziggy2/      

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 1999, 03:49:00 PM »
Fortunately for gold, we wont be able to tell them apart from the rest of the bad guys.

Yeager :^)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 1999, 04:18:00 PM »
Wiping boy?  That sounds like a worse job than whipping boy.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 1999, 05:04:00 PM »
Oh Nice Pyro!

Jus cus me not spel so god no ned to tack my telagence  

Sharky

Wormie

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 1999, 07:01:00 PM »
Didnt Eddie Murphy have one of those in Coming to America?

Wormie

Offline Flathat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 1999, 03:38:00 PM »
If there's one thing that considerable experience in DoA's main arena has taught, it's that the 3-country setup is a huge pain in the rear. And there are others who feel a heck of a lot more strongly about it than I do.

It wouldn't be feasible to have *only* historical arenas, alas, but my thought would be to have two countries in the Main: Axis and Allies. You could, if desired, give the Axis a heavy buff like B-17, B-24 or Lancaster, enabled at one or two fields to give them a more even shot at the strategic missions.

Another option would be to set up the arena as above with two "countries" (really alliances, more or less, although that's not exactly the word either), but plane selection restricted to fields geographically analogous to RW choices. In other words, you'd find British planes at fields in the northwest part of the arena (Home Islands), the south central (the Med),
and east...um, central? (CBI). Americans would be found in "England" and the southeast and east central areas (the Pacific, maybe CBI). Germans would be east of England and north of the "Med", as well as in the Med. Italy, Russia, Finland* and Japan would be located in the appropriate locations relative to one another and to the others. French and Polish pilots would fly from England until or unless their indigenous aircraft were modeled; then they get fields where they "should" be. Romanians can fly LW iron from the southeast corner of "Greater Germany", next to the Russians.

*(irony filter on) The Finnish get special treatment because they flew from their own territory throughout the war, and because the Internet is practically a suburb of Helsinki anyway   (irony filter off, tin hat on, running for the bunker, please don't hurt my family   BTW, is anything happening--for those in the know--with Laika and the Cosmonauts? I don't think they've been in the US since 1995, not in Cleveland anyway   ).

I'm not sure this explanation is quite clear, but do you get what I'm driving at? It would make the MA a quasi-HA, while still allowing a comprehensive plane selection in order to be as inclusive as possible.

------------------