Author Topic: "Suicide" Jabos, Buffs, and Blowing Stuff Up  (Read 382 times)

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
"Suicide" Jabos, Buffs, and Blowing Stuff Up
« on: December 12, 2002, 12:54:05 PM »
I'm bored, and too lazy to convert this to a form I can just post on the boards.

Read this and comment.
(basic summary is perked bombs, no more divebombing buffs, and various changes to compensate)
http://death.innomi.com/uploads/jabos.html

Flame if you wish, though I'd much rather you poke holes in it.  (i.e. it wont work because...)

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 01:25:47 PM »
well i wasnt put off by what you wrote. Its certainly worth thinking about but this is what most envisioned when we asked for perked bombs in HT's post i think.

still its clear in your web page and looks ok to me

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 05:26:08 PM »
Excellent presentation, Innominate.  

In general I don't like perk points, but I concede their value in keeping the playing field from distorting to the point of no fun anymore.  

Maybe the A-20 shouldn't be penalized since jabo is what it was designed for.  Same for the Ju-88 in the attack role.  

Probably better to perk all the bombs for jabos.  Otherwise later jabos could still swarm bases with lighter bombs that can take out stuff like fuel and ack and, cumulatively, larger targets too.

Might want to start, however, with lighter perk cost for planes heavily used in real life as jabo, e.g., P-47, Corsair.  Keep the highest cost for planes not often used as jabo in WWII, e.g., P-51, P-38 (even though the latter were sometimes used as level bombers, bombing on the lead plane's drop).  

Would have to be careful to equitably apply this principle to non-U.S. aircraft whose jabo employment is less widely understood, e.g. some FW models might be more attack than interceptor.  

Your idea could go a long way in restoring in Aces High a more realistic and enjoyable balance of the main ways most WWII aircraft were used.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 05:51:45 PM »
100% Agreement, Innominate.

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 07:34:00 AM »
Great ideas, Innoninate & well presented.

Very important point: If you land your Jabo mission you don't spend/lose the perks.  So, there will be Jabos, but they will be trying desperately to survive (i.e. fly realistically) in order not to lose their perk points.

The sooner this is implemented, the better!

MRPLUTO  VMF-323  ~Death Rattlers~  MAG-33

P.S.  I'd change the cost of rockets to 0.5 so that the cost is always a whole number.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2002, 07:36:55 AM by MRPLUTO »

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2002, 08:11:55 AM »
Partial agreement for me

add to the list

-ack having a realistic behaviour (no more insta kill on a 450mph moving plane)

-more bomb blast (no need to deadly accurate)

-timed fuzes (what about a configurable delay ?)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: "Suicide" Jabos, Buffs, and Blowing Stuff Up
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2002, 08:44:56 AM »
If a loadout multiplier column was added to modify the perk cost of loadout per plane then this could be used to generate a perk cost per plane per 1000llbs or ordinance

For a B17 or lanc this could be 0 hence 12 x 0 =0

For a P51 or Typhoon it could be  2 hence 2 x 2 = 4 (2 x 1000llb bombs)

Make all formations and 4 engined bombers use f6 only to drop bombs

Torps and rockets are free.

I would remove the attack/ fighter option buttons.........if you carry bombs you are in attack mode and using or gaining bomber perks..................

(actually I would love to see attack perks [if you have not chosen either formation or 4 engined bombers] earned/lost separately in their own totaliser)

Hangers are a misnomer IMO...... they are really an artificial representation of the fields ability to service, repair and  launch ac/ gv of various types......... yet we know that many smaller fields never had hangers and operated quite successfully.....to be accurate all barracks and relevant hangers should be down to disable a ride type.........

I would agree that some ground targets are over hard (except gun positions which can be straffed far too easily) but would say the net result is now about right as there are not many ground targets to kill...........

Generally however I tend to think they are OK with the exception of vehicle facilities...........it is presently far too easy to disable vehicles on a field.

Perk the osty.
Ludere Vincere

Offline AtmkRstr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2002, 02:37:11 PM »
I really like how you pointed out that Ground targets are needlessly hardened. I agree completely with that.  I don't like having to carry 1000 pounders in order to be effective when I'd rather carry the more realistic load of 500lb bombs.  

That's the best presentation of the whole "perk bombs" issue I've ever seen.  

-One big problem I have with it is that the bomb's perk price should increase exponentially with weight, not linearly.  
-I'm not so sure 500lb bombs should be perked since they were common in the war.  
-I'm not sure rockets should be perked since they were also common.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2002, 09:48:29 PM »
Good, well thought out post Innominate.
I agree that the suicide JABO is ruining the game.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2002, 10:05:52 PM »
I personally have not experienced the dive bombing Lancs....

With that being said...would those perk points be from a separate perk column?  Would you gain more perk points for successfully hitting a tgt? Would only the 1000lb eggs be perked?

Just a few ?'s

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2002, 11:04:58 PM »
Originally posted by guttboy

With that being said...would those perk points be from a separate perk column?  Would you gain more perk points for successfully hitting a tgt? Would only the 1000lb eggs be perked?

The perks would just be fighter perks, no need to add more categories.  Perks earned for bombing would not be changed.  

The 500lb, 1000lb, and rockets would all be perked.  The basic guidline is anything able to do enough damage to be worth suiciding with.  The 250lb bombs would be usefulll when trucked in, and added up would suffice for killing hangars, but suiciding with them is too slow to be worth doing.  It is also more than enough to kill soft targets when absolutly needed.  10 rockets are equal to something around 1400lbs of bombs, not to mention much more accurate, which is why I feel that they would have to be perked along with the bombs.