Author Topic: guess what happens next?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
guess what happens next game
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2002, 04:13:41 PM »
I'm gonna guess that Frenchy and his wingie jettisoned their ordnance and killshootered each other.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2002, 04:14:26 PM »
Holy crap I just read Frenchy's answer.
I'm not psychic, I've just been in the same exact situation.

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2002, 06:08:45 PM »
You noticed that all of you were wearing the same outfits and thus returned to base to change them.

// fats

Offline DouglasA

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2002, 06:42:53 PM »
Frenchy used your picture for wallpaper
I like it
Wife hates it
2 year old loves it
Dog dont care :-)

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2002, 06:46:54 PM »
Originally posted by DouglasA
Frenchy used your picture for wallpaper
I like it
Wife hates it
2 year old loves it
Dog dont care :-)

LOL ... let me send u the bmp version then. email me bigradial@hotmail.com
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2002, 08:23:32 PM »
Originally posted by funkedup
Holy crap I just read Frenchy's answer.
I'm not psychic, I've just been in the same exact situation.

Funked, are you channeling Rip?

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2002, 08:40:47 PM »
Funny enough, in RL we have a similiar issue that Frenchy met online.

If the first aircraft in a 4-ship of heavily loaded F-15E's takes off and has an engine malfunction right after takeoff, what does he and the rest of the formation do?

Assume the flight lead has some sort of survival instinct, he jettisons external fuel and possibly bombs as well.  This creates a mess near the end of the runway, burning fuel and bombs bouncing about.  

Now the rest of the formation has to decide what to do.  #2 aircraft is probably already rotating for takeoff, so he must decide to abort and hit the burning/exploding mess at taxi speed as he aborts through it, or continue the takeoff and fly at low altitude and low speed through the fireball.  If a bomb cooks off after bouncing around in the fireball, #2 is gonna catch it in the teeth or ass.  #3 sees all this, and if he continues the takeoff, he may run into #2 who may be aborting.  #4 sees this happening and hollers on the radio right when #1 makes his emergency radio call and #2 is telling #3 whether he is aborting or continuing, so all that comes out of the radio is:

"blahblahbadsfqafguascreeeech!!!!!!!ohshxt!"

If at any point anyone ejects, now there is another 14,000 lbs of burning fuel plus any remaining bombs/missiles/bullets/airframe cooking off, and even if the chutes don't drift back into the fireball (I lost a classmate that way), #2 may run right into the chutes or ejection seats as they fall to earth.

Messy scenario, good thing it doesn't happen often.  I read about B-29s in WWII dribbling off the runway and exploding or sinking into the bay as the rest of the B-29 mission launched over the fireball and wreckage on the way to Japan...  Nasty business, war.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Fuzzybunny

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2002, 01:50:38 AM »
Dude, Eagl, thats heavy! Sorry to hear about your friend:( So do you mean aircraft taking off one after another, or taking off in some sort of formation? Funny the stuff that the general public doesn't know about.

Offline Purzel

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2002, 02:26:25 AM »
Phew, eagl, that is heavy stuff!

I mean, in this game its all funnny if your prey kills itself. But in RL...

I think you can very well assume your desinsibilized (??) if such thing happens in RL and you start to laugh.

Then one should very quickly find some psychotherapist or somehting...

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2002, 04:01:19 AM »
Originally posted by eagl
Funny enough, in RL we have a similiar issue that Frenchy met online.

If the first aircraft in a 4-ship of heavily loaded F-15E's takes off and has an engine malfunction right after takeoff, what does he and the rest of the formation do?

Assume the flight lead has some sort of survival instinct, he jettisons external fuel and possibly bombs as well.  This creates a mess near the end of the runway, burning fuel and bombs bouncing about.  

Now the rest of the formation has to decide what to do.  #2 aircraft is probably already rotating for takeoff, so he must decide to abort and hit the burning/exploding mess at taxi speed as he aborts through it, or continue the takeoff and fly at low altitude and low speed through the fireball.  If a bomb cooks off after bouncing around in the fireball, #2 is gonna catch it in the teeth or ass.  #3 sees all this, and if he continues the takeoff, he may run into #2 who may be aborting.  #4 sees this happening and hollers on the radio right when #1 makes his emergency radio call and #2 is telling #3 whether he is aborting or continuing, so all that comes out of the radio is:

"blahblahbadsfqafguascreeeech!!!!!!!ohshxt!"

If at any point anyone ejects, now there is another 14,000 lbs of burning fuel plus any remaining bombs/missiles/bullets/airframe cooking off, and even if the chutes don't drift back into the fireball (I lost a classmate that way), #2 may run right into the chutes or ejection seats as they fall to earth.

Messy scenario, good thing it doesn't happen often.  I read about B-29s in WWII dribbling off the runway and exploding or sinking into the bay as the rest of the B-29 mission launched over the fireball and wreckage on the way to Japan...  Nasty business, war.

Maybe a dumb question, but why not giving 1 minute between each plane ?
Freeze

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2002, 04:25:14 AM »
Originally posted by fffreeze220
Maybe a dumb question, but why not giving 1 minute between each plane ?

At the rate those puppy burn fuel, and if you launch a raid ... you don't want to form up 15 miles away (just a guess).

Not military flying here, so I cannot compare but,

With the skytypers, we have no bombs but we take off all 5 at the same time on the runway, nb1 2 and 4 in a Vic formation, nb3 and 5 behind 3 and 4.
We apply take off power, rotate and by the end of the runway nb3 and 5 already slided in place to have a perfect V formation.

Other guys at Chino take off two by two at best, or one after the other, make a wide left turn and finally for up 10 minutes later.

The inconvenience of what we do, we have no bomb but still, if the guys ahead blows a tire or have to slow down or you are caught in the wake of the lead thank to the crosswind ... well very little time to avoid a collision when 15 feet appart.:)
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2002, 08:32:44 AM »
Freeze, Frency is correct.  We takeoff with less than one minute spacing to compress the launch cycle.  If you have 30 aircraft to launch, we can't wait 30 minutes to get everyone off of the ground so we will, as just one example, launch 5 4-ship aircraft with short spacing between each aircraft within a 4-ship formation, and maybe 2 minutes between each formation.  Launch planes with lots of gas first, that sort of thing.

If anyone crumps on the runway, it sure makes a mess of the plan.  In wartime, they'd just get a few bulldozers to push the wreckage off the runway but in peacetime it would sure wreck the training plan.

It doesn't happen very often at all, and with any luck 99% of the pilots in the air force won't find themselves in that situation.  But it's one of those "what if" scenarios that COULD happen, so it's better if we've thought about it a little beforehand.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2002, 08:42:28 AM by eagl »
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2002, 11:18:08 AM »
thx for the answer.
Freeze