Author Topic: Lord of the Rings: Two Towers  (Read 2254 times)

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
Lord of the Rings: Two Towers
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2002, 10:11:53 AM »
exactly how I feel shuckins...took the words right outta my mouth.

but maybe we are just to much of the book dweebs.

but they did say that 2 towers was gonna be the 1 movie that strays the most from the book......

hopefully they stay true in the Return of the King.....

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2002, 12:04:25 PM »
Book dweebs!

:p

Memorizing the books has probably done-in the movies for you.  I'll go back and read the books a while after seeing the third and final installment of the movies.  It's been since 1982 and I remember very little.  But as it is now, these movies are great entertainment.  

I'm still trying to figure out the power of the ring.  Yeah, so it'll control the other rings given to those in power of their race.  I take that to mean Sauron would then be able to control those races through the ring.  However, it sure wasn't able to prevent a huge army of folks going to war with him (as shown in the prelude of the 1st movie) and it sure couldn't protect his finger from a silly mortal blade.  Now, if lazer beams could shoot from your eyes and you can will people dead, now that'd be a ring that would be feared...but instead, he went around smashing people with a hammer and had a huge army fight for him.  However, this doesn't ruin the movie for me.  I enjoy seeing the adventures the characters go on.  

So can someone tell me Smeagol's background?  Who/What is/was he?

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2002, 01:39:13 PM »
Originally posted by Puke
I'm still trying to figure out the power of the ring.

Lets geek this to a whole new level.  :)

"The One Ring: aka "the Ruling Ring", the "One" ; the "Ring":

A seemingly normal gold band, the One Ring will adjust to fit the wearer's ring size or, if it desires so, it will expand to fall from the wearer's finger whenever the rings feels the wearer is unsuitbable (see below). The One's hidden inscription glows when the Ring is placed in a fire. In Black Speech it reads:

"Ash nazg durbabatuluk, ash nazg gimbul, Ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum ishi krimpatul."
The translation reads:
"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to brng them all and in darkness bind them."

The One is a artifact of unparalled proportions, it is a sentinent artifact that has one purpose to return to its master Sauron. However, powerful wearers (15th level plus) can try and master some of its abilities. Its primary purpose is to increase the sorcerous powers of its master, it take 60 days to master this first power. This is its primary power as far as anyone other than Sauron is concerned. This power either increases a Wizard or Sorcerer by 10 levels in ALL respects, if the wear is not a spellcaster he will become a Sorcerer of the 9th level in all respects (use the multiclass rules as if they had multiclasses). The other powers of the ring come with time and mastery of the One: The first secondary power is that the Ring Wearer is Invisible this is always in effect, however one who has mastered the primary power can will themselves visible with the ring still on. The other powers are:

Control or Resist anything created with the aide of the ring.
The Ring controls the wearers of all the Nine Rings without regard to distance. (Only Sauron currently has the mastery level to do this. It is the last power granted).
All spell are x3 normal range or any target the wear can see (scrying counts).
Ring-wearer's physical, mental and magical attacks never fail.
The One purpose is again to get into Saurons hands, treat it as a Int 18 Wis 18 Ego 20 to figure this against your player. The rings other purpose is to corrupt along the way back to its master. Every power learned shifts the wearer's alignment on shift towards Lawful Evil. Should any character be allowed to master all of the rings powers, with the exception of the Ringwraith control which is Saurons sphere. They will become Lawful Evil and very subseptible to the voice of Sauron through the ring. In the end after 10 years of the rings use a will save must be made every month there after or the wearer becomes a Gollum-like creature. Once the save is failed all the rings powers fade within a day and unless they are cured by a 20 level Priest of good alignment (the following spells are needed: Neutralize Posion, Cure Disease, Prayer, Heal, and finally Restoration). This will reverse the Gollum Curse but the character will lose 50,000 XP in the process. They also can "feel" when anything dealing with the One (Nazgul, Priest of the Darklord, etc...) are within 100' of them. Many of these survivors go on to become Paladins, or some other prestige class dealing with undead hunting or monster hunting."

Other rings can be found here.

http://www.planetadnd.com/references/lotr/the_rings_of_power.php

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2002, 01:49:12 PM »
Originally posted by H. Godwineson
a bunch of good stuff
 [/B]

Yeah, I think you do have a good point. A lot of what you just posted was what distracted me from fully enjoying the movie. These were parts where I thought "wait, is that right?" Like the Ents comeing into the Battle at Helms Deep.

Also, in the Book I liked Farimir, in the movie I thought he might as well have been Borimir. Thanks for posting that.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2002, 01:57:59 PM »
OK, haven't seen it yet, but the whole point of Faramir's character in the book seems to be a confirmation of the nobel spirit of the Stewards of Gondor. Why the hell would they mess with that?

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2002, 02:01:01 PM »
I havent seen it either yet, but that is disturbing. I mean Faramir was very noble and honourable, he would never do such a thing.

I mean how are they going to tie up these new ends in the third movie?

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2002, 02:02:06 PM »
OTOH

I enjoyed FOTR much more the second time I saw it. The 1st time I was constantly comparing it to the book.

One more thing... Aragorn isn't big enough. He's supposed to be imposing!!

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2002, 02:04:57 PM »
Originally posted by takeda
Nifty!

Har!! Lat bih uh Shaddurklan uruk!?!?! Har har dat bih bubhosh. Mih bih uh Kobo frum da Mordurud Uzg, lat gruk? Buurzum Eiy ob Kamelot.

Klomp ebri skahin pugdush shara-glob! Uruk uzg duminashun!!!

Heheh i was a Shadowclan Kobold in DAoC, they are "cousins" of the UO Shadowclan orcs, so the language is almost the same. The most exhilarating online experience I have had so far. They saved that otherwise dull game for me.

[Edited for proper orc syntax]:D

har har!  ;)  Yeah, I heard SC was going to get in on DAoC, but I didn't enjoy that game enough to seek them out and make a kobold.  SC also has a group on EQ if I'm not mistaken.  

Agh...  Yub, meeb ash uruk, agh ash bubhosh ash!  Meeb wuz Warbozz fur ash cykul.  Meeb gruk Kobo, dem lyk howlur Goboz!  Meeb nub gruk dat uzg.  (is there a server called Mordred?  That'd make sense as that's Arthur's incestuous son!  hehe, dark age of camelot!)    Dem shara-globs git clomped eberi ash muun!  har!  

oops, time to go!  hehe, been about 18 months since I've done orc speech!
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2002, 02:17:55 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
One more thing... Aragorn isn't big enough. He's supposed to be imposing!!

If anyone wasn't big enough, I thought it was Boromir.  He's supposed to be like 12 feet tall, 3000 pounds and bullet proof.

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2002, 02:27:04 PM »
Originally posted by Puke
So can someone tell me Smeagol's background?  Who/What is/was he?

I belive that Smeagol was the little man in the 1st part of the movie, where Frodo would go visit him, in his little shack.

Gondolf made a trip to Smeagels house where Gondolf found about the ring, Smeagol wasnt willing to give it, but he knew he had too.  Then Smeagol went somewhere after giving the ring up, but im not sure.

So thats my best guess who Smeagol was.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2002, 03:25:03 PM »
I think Thrawn and Wldthing are using the same bait.

Smeagol (Gollum) is or was very "hobbit like" at the time he found the ring. (I think this is in the appendix of the books. The ring changed him over the ensuing 500 years.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2002, 03:30:46 PM »
heh, the fools!

You cant troll like that in this thread. The only people bothering to read this thread are Tolkien-grogs, and we know too much about the legend to fall for a cheap troll like that.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2002, 03:38:32 PM »
That wasn't even a mountain troll. More like a hill or cave troll if you ask me.

Charon

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2002, 03:39:52 PM »
I'm not trolling.  I thought someone had said earlier in this thread that they killed Faramir in the Two Towers.  And I explaind in the LOTR racism thread how Aragorn was part elf.  :confused:

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2002, 03:41:19 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
...Boromir.  He's supposed to be like 12 feet tall, 3000 pounds and bullet proof.
Here is your troll, Sir.