Author Topic: Bennies in the jets  (Read 309 times)

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Bennies in the jets
« on: December 20, 2002, 02:32:36 PM »
When Navy fighter pilot "Maverick" and his sidekick "Goose" declare "I feel the need – the need for speed!" in the box-office hit "Top Gun," they're speaking about the capabilities of their fast and furious F-14 Tomcat.
In the air war over Afghanistan, "the need for speed" may have taken on quite a different meaning.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0809/p01s04-usmi.html

The recent friendly fire incident in Afghanistan involving Canadian troops has brought the military use of Dexedrine into controversial focus. Opinions? Real issue or tempest in a tea kettle? Regardless, its going to be all over the news tonight, at least on ABC (news & 20/20).

Charon
« Last Edit: December 20, 2002, 03:05:35 PM by Charon »

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Bennies in the jets
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2002, 03:00:38 PM »
seems somewhat hypocritical to drug test servicemen then give them the same drugs you test for, when it suits your purpose.

why is it ok for fighter pilots to take speed for long flights.  but your average working guy goes to prison for taking the same drugs for his long shift.

Offline rickod

• Copper Member
Bennies in the jets
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2002, 04:27:51 PM »
the article says it goes back as far as vietnam this is wrong the crews of the bombers in ww2 and also the midget sub crews that sank the turpitz were issued dexedrine as well

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
Bennies in the jets
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2002, 04:30:24 AM »
a lot of this type of stuff was thrown down soldiers throats in the korean war...just about all the 50s - 60s yankees were on amphetamines (did JoeD turn marylin monroe on to pills?)...hitler was reportedly an amphetamine addict...JFK was on just about everthing in the book...colleridge used performence enhancing drugs...old news, but i'm surprised it got out

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Bennies in the jets
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2002, 05:02:32 AM »
Yep military use of stimulants goes way back to at least WW2.
Before that you get into the period when most soldiers got roaring drunk before battle, to build up their courage.
Nothing new here.
Pretty ridiculous to be worried about altered consciousness in people whose job is to slaughter other people.
It's a job that's better suited for machines anyways.  UCAV's are already here (Predator+Hellfire) and will probably become our main weapon in our lifetimes.

Until then:
Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one 45 caliber automatic, two boxes of ammunition, four days concentrated emergency rations, one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills, one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible, one hundred dollars in rubles, one hundred in gold, nine packs of chewing gum, one issue of prophylactics, three lipsticks, three pairs of nylon stockings. Shoot! A fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2002, 05:06:47 AM by funkedup »

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Bennies in the jets
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2002, 01:51:44 PM »
LOL Funked

greatest movie quote ever!

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Bennies in the jets
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 01:59:12 PM »
I've got a serious question for anyone that has taken these type of drugs..I never have so I have no idea.

How much is your ability affected? the news reports say that they are quicker to attack, but what about flying skills? and the ability to recal details of the mission during de-brief? what about long term health?

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Bennies in the jets
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2002, 02:11:55 PM »
LOL I love it! I just happened upon this tread while listening to the Imperial March from Star Wars, I think its a perfect accompaniment to this story! A big to our stamina enhanced high tech nearly invincible killers! :D