Author Topic: Frame Rate goes to heck  (Read 533 times)

Offline elSkilleto

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate goes to heck
« on: January 04, 2003, 11:30:56 AM »
I'm in the second week of my trial period and having severe problems with my frame rate during combat....

system

AthlonXP 1900
512 mb PC2700 RAM
GeForce 4 Ti4200

connection :  cable which usually tests out as way above average

flying in 800 x 600

climbing into clear sky   frame rate = avg 70

just now, on the tail of a LA-7  frame rate = 4
ie unplayable.

my ping shows 110 on the login screen

system ?
connection ?

I just checked on myvirtual memory settings.  Trying to diagnose my system.   Windows XP Corp Pro vers.

I didn't seem to have this problem the first few days, but now the game has suddenly become unplayable.

ideas ?

thanks in advance

SKT

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
Frame Rate goes to heck
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2003, 10:21:04 PM »
running any other programs? If other programs start up (like my antivirus daily download) you will get frame rate hits that will clear up after that program runs its course.

your cpu is strong enough; your vid card is good, ram is good. I would make sure to kill all programs like instant messenger, weatherbug, etc. leave only your antivirus and fire wall, as well as any stick config programs. I even kill my printer driver.

bockk

Offline elSkilleto

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate goes to heck
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2003, 10:36:46 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Bokko, but we can safely weed out me having anything else running during the game.  I'm an old hand at squeezing out performance for sims.

Turns out my freakin primary and secondary ide controllers were having conflicts after I updated my chipset drivers (not bios).  The new drivers installed scsi and raid controllers sharing resources with my ide chains.   My problem was in the disk access area, as I was thinking, otherwise, how could I go from so high to so low.

Spent all day formating, reinstalling, living in hell, only to come back to AH and find out that my free 2 weeks are up  lol.  

I played in the H2H arenas with no problems finally tonight after working on my pc all afternoon.

2 weeks flew by, half of one unplayable.  Do I cough up the big cash or linger sadly over my 7 years of AW experience and say enough is enough....................          only time will tell.

\_____S______/==========

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Frame Rate goes to heck
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2003, 10:39:35 PM »
Originally posted by elSkilleto

2 weeks flew by, half of one unplayable.  Do I cough up the big cash or linger sadly over my 7 years of AW experience and say enough is enough....................          only time will tell.

How can you play AW for 7 years and still consider $15 a month to be "big cash"? :eek:

Offline elSkilleto

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate goes to heck
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2003, 10:45:41 PM »
Cause then I was single  :)

now married with 2 kids

slight change.  

besides,  AW was fun..     AH will be, I'm sure, if I stick it out.

multifaceted issue, don't you think ?  :)

SKT

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
Frame Rate goes to heck
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2003, 09:52:26 AM »
speaking as a married w/kids old aw guy, spend the $15! Tell your wife it beats 'folk dancing' establishements. Look me up, I fly with alot of old aw guys.

glad you found your performance issue.

later, bockk

Offline San

• Copper Member
Frame Rate goes to heck
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2003, 12:47:54 PM »
 I see your got it fixed. Call HTC explain the situation they might give you a break.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2003, 01:49:37 PM by San »

Offline elSkilleto

• Zinc Member
Frame Rate goes to heck
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2003, 03:11:26 PM »
San,

thanks for the idea, but I think I'll spend some time in the H2H games to try to grasp some of the differant flight models, then go ahead and join up full time.  I'd hate to bother them over 5 or 6 lost days........

SKT

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Frame Rate goes to heck
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2003, 10:58:52 AM »
As another of the old AW sticks 94-99 (mostly FR) it's well worth the $15 a month...at least for a year or two:). Truthfully, it all gets old at times...I'm planning on signing back up in a couple weeks (business trip next week). I've bailed 2-3 times in last 18 months but always will come on back for a bit. All in all it's a great product (much better than AW or WB (IMHO) with an even better cast of characters. Give it 6 months...best $90 you'll spend this year.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Frame Rate goes to heck
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2003, 09:13:46 AM »
elSkilleto, let me tell you a story. I too came from AW after it died. I had a lot of problems getting AH running smoothly on my computer. I spent a great deal of time emailing HTC, all the while my 2 week free trial was rapidly running out. Support was fantastic. I finally solved the issues with my system, unfortunatley, I had been able to use hardly any of the 2 week free trial actually playing. What happened next blew me away. Htc reset my 2 week free trial and allowed me the opportunity to fly and get a true "trial period". The support here is far above any I have ever seen, and HTC has made a permanent customer of me.
Let HTC know you are having problems and ask if its possible to get the trial period reset. Each individuals issues are different, however HTC is fair. I am sure they will help you out a bit.
And finally..Welcome to Aces High sir. The community here is great and everyone is more than willing to help out.
Stick with it, I'll guarantee you'll get way more than your $15.00 worth.
Cheers,
RTR
The Damned