Author Topic: Under Construction  (Read 1287 times)

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Under Construction
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2002, 11:42:47 PM »
My explaination on tiling seams drawn out, but it takes anywhere from 1-10 minutes to complete the whole process. The 10 minute mark is cloning over the Seam and getting something your happy with.

NUTTZ

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Under Construction
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2002, 12:44:35 AM »
And it takes how long to retype a filename and then ten seconds (not even) for it to render? :)

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Nuttz' that was mean
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2002, 07:10:52 AM »
Why should you care what someone is doing, how they do it, and what they use to do it?

Does it effect you?

Some people, like you, will like to do stuff the old way, manualy making textures. Others, like Voss, will like to use programs to do what they want.

Although God knows how this thing that Voss is doing is going to be used in AH, and if he's wasting his time, so be it, he's wasting his OWN time, not yours.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Under Construction
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2002, 08:39:36 AM »
Voss I'm curious why does it seems the panels on that mustang model are bulging out at the center? Is that a new graphic that shows it blowing out after a 30mm hit? :D

Offline DOODY

• Copper Member
      • http://www.most-wanted.org
I think I get it.
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2002, 10:09:47 AM »
I might try...

using the model to give depth to my plane skin. that way I wouldnt have to set lighting and shading effect. Then my 2d  skin might have depth , so when I wrap it on my AH model, it would look cooler..

Voss.. POVRAY ?!?! is this software or 3d concept ?!?!

whats the learning curb?

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Re: Nuttz' that was mean
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2002, 12:35:57 PM »
Me and Voss have a longtime Love/hate relationship. I know of many art programs out on the market, and While I prefer one, someone else prefers another. This I have no problem with. If you do a search you will see I am not trying or have tried to convert Voss over to Corel, but the opposite. My point being I can't see how rayPOV can be used with the TE. And IF it can.... show me how it can be adapted to make seamless lifelike tiles. All i saw sofar was somekind of typed code. What I would really like to see is a tile set made from RayPOV. Now If Voss can post some pics with tiles make from the program and WOWWED me, then I would probably put the program back on my computer and start learning it. AND even ask for his help.

I understand WHAT Voss is trying to do, by making a 3d model in rayPOV then skinning it and cutting and pasting the .BMP skin onto AH template. But from MPOV, THIS would take MUCH longer than a traditional art program. If He IS wasting his time it's no skin off my back. Just a difference of agreement between two artist.

BTW, I have tried RayPOV, and it can with the click of a button make the tile seamless on all edges, BUT it comes with a price. It changed the artwork to an unreconizable Picasso style collauge of colors.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by BenDover
Why should you care what someone is doing, how they do it, and what they use to do it?

Does it effect you?

Some people, like you, will like to do stuff the old way, manualy making textures. Others, like Voss, will like to use programs to do what they want.

Although God knows how this thing that Voss is doing is going to be used in AH, and if he's wasting his time, so be it, he's wasting his OWN time, not yours.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
Under Construction
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2002, 07:31:51 PM »
Wrong again Nuttz. The above image was produced in TrueSpace, not Pov-Ray (you haven't gotten the name right yet, as a sign of disrespect I note). Pov-Ray is not a modelling program as you know it. It is a scripted renderer. There is no point and click as you have to write all the routines by hand (or use supported include files).

Nuttz you have to learn to control the variables in the source I posted, or they will do what as you stated and distort your image. I create tiles without using an image. In fact, to a true Pov artist image-maps are an insult.

Grunherz, I note your disrespect too. No, Truespace allows for environmental mapping of textures to individual components of a model (in this case panels) and I purposely enhanced the edges with the reflectivity model, but the smoothing operation prior to the final rendering enhances the effect (yuck). In short, TrueSpace's renderer sucks compared to Pov-Ray.

Doody, I fly every day and still find time to use Pov-Ray. I have spent over ten years learning Pov-Ray, but because it has grown and continues to grow I have yet to master it all. You can check into it at http://www.povray.org and while you are there check out several of the scenes by other artists. Specifically, "Strike At Pearl" or any of the many images you can see at zazzle.com

Pov-Ray is freeware with the source freely available and contributing artists/programmers make frequent and helpful posts on the newsgroup (news.povray.org).

Offline Kevin14

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Nuttz' that was mean
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2002, 07:39:29 PM »
Originally posted by NUTTZ
...show me how it can be adapted to make seamless lifelike tiles...

If you haven't noticed, he is using the program to skin AIRPLANES, not TILES.

Originally posted by NUTTZ
...All i saw sofar was somekind of typed code...
NUTTZ

And the beautiful pictures of his work in the first two posts

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Under Construction
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2002, 07:50:03 PM »
No, Truespace allows for environmental mapping of textures to individual components of a model

Voss: Your making textures for your POV model so you can then make some different textures for AH? Im confused. Why not make them directly for AH instead.

HiTech

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Under Construction
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2002, 08:40:27 PM »
nice work Voss, u try to create new render engine for game?
Who not use scheme 3d model +skin+uv mapping  but replaced by script?  Or u do thiss only for funn?

/forgivme my english is not good enugh, so somtimes i not catch/

ramzey

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
Under Construction
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2002, 11:54:15 PM »
Yes HT. Except with Pov a texture is like a C program statement. Shiny steel for instance would be something like:

texture {
   pigment { color rgb .325 }
   finish { ambient 0 diffuse .275 reflection { .64,.95 } phong 1 phong_size 180 specular 5 roughness .01 metallic }
   normal { granite -.1 scale .025 } }

I might have as many as 200 textures on a single wing, as they add up quickly (each individual stencil, panel, and perhaps even spot weld is a separate texture).

This wouldn't be very useful for AH, but once rendered to a model (from several different views) you will have enough to build a skin from. I go to the trouble of building a 3D model directly over some high resolution 3-views of the original aircraft, so the finished product will be as accurate as possible before adaption to AH.

It's more involved and some may consider it a waste of time, but I have seen the result in other games and I know it is worth it. It's a hobby I have been doing for over ten years now. :)