Author Topic: Proximity sounds...  (Read 671 times)

Offline kfsone

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.kfs.org/~oliver
Proximity sounds...
« on: January 12, 2001, 04:28:00 PM »
I remember Pyro saying once that WarBirds had the ability to do proximity sounds, i.e. the sound of another vehicle or aircraft.

I just wondered if this ability exists in AcesHigh, and if so, if it could be an arena option so that, for example, you can turn it on in head-2-head flight.

If memory serves, the reason it was disabled was that it spoiled people's ability to sneak up on someone's 6... But I wonder... Given the relative volumes of different engines, I wonder (figuratively) what effect this addition would have on people's plane choices.

K

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
Proximity sounds...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2001, 08:08:00 PM »
If it's not realistic I dont want it.  I stated previously that I would like a certain amount of "very close" proximity effect.  If a lane passes you less than 50 yards then ok, maybe you could hear him passing by you. If you are sitting on the tarmac with engine running then maybe you could hear a tank rolling by 50 yards away. WW2 cockpits are very loud with those engines running at full rpm's.  I'd be the first to jump on any fly-by sound effects. But they would have to be within realistic specs.

fscott

Offline Gunslayer

• Zinc Member
Proximity sounds...
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2001, 09:27:00 PM »
I wonder, has anyone asked a WW2 vet if they could hear the other planes sounds as they flew by. Being a music producer I have a certain interest in sound anyway. I have never been in a WW2 airplane, but i have been in a small single engine plane and i guarantee i would hear another plane, particularly a loud WW2 style plane.

Just for comparison, When they have tractor pulls in my town you can hear the motors racing at least a half mile away. And what about hearing guns firing. I used to live about 5 miles away from an army amunition plant. They were always test firing large machine guns like the ones that would be in these planes. They were so loud they shook the windows even 5 miles away.

Realisticly I don't think you would hear someone coming from behind very well as most planes had the exhaust pipes pointed backwards thus the cone of sound would point backward. Also having seen fighter jets flying by at low altitude at sub-sonic (400-550mph) speed, you heard almost nothing until the jet was past you. I think in aces it should be the same, almost no sound when they are behind you then a quite loud sound if they are in fron of you.

Gunslayer

[This message has been edited by Gunslayer (edited 01-12-2001).]