Author Topic: Scared by the Community  (Read 494 times)

Offline crowbaby

• Copper Member
Scared by the Community
« on: December 21, 2002, 07:25:54 AM »
I enjoy playing this game in my free time. To my limited knowledge of WWII, it seems very realistic, and i like the challenge of playing online against real people.

If i play for more than a few hours, my girlfriend calls me a geek. I don't think about it much when i'm not playing, though i do read these boards for background, tips, etc.

I do like updates, though there are already planes in the set that i've barely flown. I played with the TE a bit and i'm slowly trying to build a terrain. I like skinning planes, though my work pales to nothing beside the new P51d model.

I'm looking forward to the Mission Arena as a change from the various styles of play in the MA. I can wait, though, there are other things in my life. I must admit to having sort of developed an affection for the game and the whole HTC team, even though i don't know them. I would never dream of slagging them off for choices they have made about their product. Call me a wuss, but i would hesitate to even constructively criticise someone elses unfinished, massively complex meisterwerk.

You probably wonder why i'm posting this. Well, i'd like to know how many other normal/laid back players there are out there? I worry that an unhappy community might have a negative impact on a game that i am quite fond of playing. As the peak of MMOL flight sims, AH is bound to attract more than its share of nuts, but the postings on this BBs recently really SCARE me.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Scared by the Community
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2002, 07:30:47 AM »
The BBS is only a tiny part of the actual "flying community".

And here you only find the most vocal from all across the spectrum of players. Those that love it, hate or are inbetween  post here but BBS posters are just a tiny part of the player base.

Just take it all with a grain of salt. HTC obviously knows what they're doing... look how far they've come with the game in 3 years and how many players have signed on.

It's a great community and a great game. People I've met here have become great friends after I've met them in real life. They're very supportive of each other in RL as well.

You'll see guys arguing like blood enemies in one topic and offering each other hardware tips in another.

Enjoy!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Scared by the Community
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2002, 07:32:04 AM »
Shut up crybaby!  Or as real people would say it, Hello!  :D

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
Scared by the Community
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2002, 07:39:51 AM »
hey Crowbaby welcome:) ; make your choices, fly, fight and enjoy it;)
Read all the BBS, take what cames of positive and throw away all the rubbish:)
And dont worry, here many barks a lot but noone bites:D
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Scared by the Community
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2002, 07:45:34 AM »
There are prolly 4000 people who play this game at least once a month..teeny percentage of that even READ this stuff, much less write it.  (Btw..your girlfriend will VERY soon realize AH is a threat to her control over your life..and will try to stamp it out like bug. You MUST be strong)...I view this..as I did AW before that..as a sort of virtual bowling night, without the funny shoes
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Scared by the Community
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2002, 08:09:59 AM »
Don't worry, you're not REALLY a geek untill you start to think that this or maybe this is a really neat idea.

Also don't take anyone too seriously here.  Even some of the loudest most obnoxious people are only posting because they enjoy arguing with people.

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
Scared by the Community
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 09:12:55 AM »
If your girlfriend really likes/loves you than she would understand what makes you happy and understand to let you bond with it!

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Scared by the Community
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2002, 09:12:56 AM »
Originally posted by bj229r
There are prolly 4000 people who play this game at least once a month..teeny percentage of that even READ this stuff, much less write it.  (Btw..your girlfriend will VERY soon realize AH is a threat to her control over your life..and will try to stamp it out like bug. You MUST be strong)...I view this..as I did AW before that..as a sort of virtual bowling night, without the funny shoes

Listen to this man...he is wise in the ways of AH and the female of the species.:)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Scared by the Community
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2002, 09:26:21 AM »
Crowbaby!  Do not get drawn into the cesspool that just a few individuals create.  There are some great people here.  In fact there are many great people here.  It is a wonderful community. Only a few bad apples that seem to spoil the bunch.  Look through it.  

Get in with a great squad and ignore the whining twits.  They are only here to cause discontent through their arrogance and self-believed technical knowlege.  Go thru the postings and you will see it is the same people over and over.

Many get burned out because they do the same thing over and over.  Do different things to add spice to the sim.

The best advice I can give you is to get in with a good squad (if you do not already belong to a squad).  A squad that likes to have fun and who does not spend it's time quoting technical specifications to promote arguements.  :)  

Where is that pixel or two??  :)

This sim is what you make it.  I've been here since Oct 1999 and have been having fun ever since!!  

and enjoy!!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Scared by the Community
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2002, 09:40:53 AM »
i'd like to know how many other normal/laid back players there are

There are none, and I am not sure you should say "other" as it seems  you are indicating you are normal.

Don't make a map if you care what others think, dont post any comments online in the game if you care what others think, never offer an opinion on this board if you care what others think.

There really isn't squat you can do that will upset the balance of the game or the assumed sanity of the members of this board.

There worst anyone can do is create a tiny blip on the AH radar, we have learned to ignore dummies, or HTC has banned them.

Do what you want and have fun. If you are really thin skinned or sensitive, its probably best not to extend your participation past the anonymous player level.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Scared by the Community
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2002, 10:53:56 AM »
They're all maniacs, except you and me.

And I'm not really sure about you ;)

culero (relax!)
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey