Author Topic: I want to write a scenario  (Read 504 times)

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
I want to write a scenario
« on: December 17, 2002, 08:18:25 AM »
On and off, ever since Big Week, I've thought about writing a scenario to be considered for the SEA.  It would be loosely based on a WWII engagement, but would involve more freedom of action for the commanders than a traditional event.  The focus would be on an actual air campaign with target opportunities that ranged much farther than bombing factories.  Each side would have a set of ultimate objectives and scoring would be determined by how well they met those objectives.  Unfortunately, I don't know where to begin.  Could I get a CM to send me some info on what has been done in the past to prepare for previous scenarios?

Thanks,
Preon

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2002, 05:17:18 AM »
I will make the CM Staff aware of your request.

Just make sure you get the plane set PERFECT including making your own planes that HTC does not have in the inventory yet !  :)
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2002, 08:05:51 AM »
what all should I submit to the CMs first?

I'm thinking:
Planeset
bitmap of theater of operations
timeline
target sets w/ consequences
preliminary scoring scheme

Not certain where I'd go from there.

Offline Greg Stelmack

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2002, 08:30:50 AM »
Originally posted by jordi
Just make sure you get the plane set PERFECT including making your own planes that HTC does not have in the inventory yet !  :)

If you designed a scenario that pitted Spit V vs Spit V, the complaint focus would then shift to the fact that one launch airfield is 200 yards closer to the target than the opposition launch field...

Good luck with the scenario design!

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: I want to write a scenario
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2002, 09:52:49 AM »
Originally posted by Preon1
On and off, ever since Big Week,

It helps to structure a presentation regarding your ambitions for the scenario.............

The obvious stuff is

ac/planes to be used
map ideas

to this you have to consider balancing

a rule set
a scoring or victory condition system

but I believe it is also important that you consider a description of what you hope to achieve with the plot / gameplay balance you are constructing...............

When doing this you should consider where and what type of conflict takes place on your map........ will the scenario frame survive the 1st conflict?........what new facets of game play / player challange does your offering give?........how will the myriad out comes of frame 1 influence frame 2?.

Your ambitions should be clearly stated....as the author/designer you should be very clear as to the primary game play influencers you want to reproduce................

This may seem like a lot of work .................but is well worth it in the end.

An example is seen here  ...........probably OTT but it provides the structure......... the Notes section is quite important IMHO.
Ludere Vincere

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2002, 09:00:33 PM »
Preon it is a LOT of work just to build a foundation to start on.

Here are some other links to look over.
http://events.simladder.com/sicily.php
http://events.simladder.com/scenarios_bigweek_intro.php

Best of luck to get started.  Feel free to post here if you have any questions. :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure