Author Topic: Iraq - US drone Shot Down  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Iraq - US drone Shot Down
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2002, 02:23:15 PM »
Predators are tough. Ask Arnold ;)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2002, 02:29:05 PM »
Originally posted by miko2d
and US population had nothing else against them in 1991,
 miko

Well, there is that little matter of the Invasion of Kuwait... you know the invasion of a sovereign nation by another sovereign nation for the purpose of replacing their government.

That's clearly wrong and need redress.

Hey....... wait a minute!

:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2002, 02:29:20 PM »
Originally posted by miko2d
So we should forgive them an incident with the drone that left no survivors...

miko

Actually, I believe that the pilot of the drone did survive, with minor injury to ego probably.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2002, 04:02:43 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Also, have you forgotten why it was imposed? Maybe something to do with the extermination of 5,000 Kurds?

No moral high ground there, only hypocracy.  No one gave a toejam that, our ally Turkey was exterminating Kurds.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2002, 04:12:18 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
No moral high ground there, only hypocracy.  No one gave a toejam that, our ally Turkey was exterminating Kurds.

The US isn't the world's policeman even though we often find ourselves in the role, far too much imo. If you're saying the US never takes the moral ground then you're talkin' out your ass.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2002, 04:20:03 PM »
The US isn't the world's policeman even though we often find ourselves in the role, far too much imo. If you're saying the US never takes the moral ground then you're talkin' out your ass.

"No one gave a toejam that, our ally Turkey was exterminating Kurds."

Note the "No one" and the plural, "our".  And I am certainly not saying the US never holds the moral high ground.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2002, 04:26:21 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
"No one gave a toejam that, our ally Turkey was exterminating Kurds."

Note the "No one" and the plural, "our".  And I am certainly not saying the US never holds the moral high ground.

Didn't think you were Thrawn, just checkin'.

It's never too late to do the right thing. Preventing genocide is never the wrong or hypocritical thing to do.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2002, 05:02:01 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Kurd slaughtering is still an active sport in Iraq, but the media seems to have lost interest.

Can you reference your source for that?

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2002, 07:22:18 PM »
Toad, resolution 1441 is the latest one right?

It might, as you say, mean that they shouldn't shoot at planes in the no fly zone. But that assumes that the no fly zone is valid.

And what about before this new resolution? US and UK were flying then too.

Not saying it's wrong - I believe it's a bloody good thing they do. Just saying there ain't really a UN resolution that directly supports it.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2002, 07:39:23 PM »
Imagine how much worse it would be for the Kurds if not for the US and the UK. There likely would be none in the region.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2002, 01:11:02 AM »
Can you reference your source for that?

Iron, although evidence might seem to be to the contrary.  I am a huge fan on the Consitution of the US.  But I do not believe that our love for our respective countries should make us blind to it's faults.  In fact, because we are great patriots, we should be the first to point out it's illnesses.

Although I think that Canada is a great nation, it does not mean that I don't see where we are failing our allies in our mutual defence pact.  Once again,  my patriotism and love for my country and what it was, and what it can be, makes me more aware of our short comings.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2002, 01:26:51 AM by Thrawn »

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2002, 02:53:11 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Like everything else, there's plenty of gray to balance out the black and white.

Do politicians EVER vote or sign anything that doesn't give them a huge amount of "wiggle room"?

Provision in U.N. resolution could trigger Iraq war even before inspections begin

Simple solution: The Security Council meets RIGHT NOW and resolves the "no fly zone" issue. It's either approved or disapproved. Right Now.

Any bets on whether or not any member of the Security Council would have the balls to bring this to the table will full media fanfare?

No chance. All of 'em like it just the way it is. Lots of wiggle room.

Toad, you are funny as usual. Your trigger-happy cowboys don't give a flying f#$k about any resolutions. In case such a meeting will be about to happen - I am 100% sure you'll not admit Russian and Chinese reperesentatives there, like it was in 1950.

What poor Iraqi need is a good team of SAM officers from independant countries to shoot any agressor violating their airspace.

You "fighters for peace and democracy" need another good punch in the nose to get down to reality.

Damn. Got up too early after drinking till 4 AM, spent 2 hours in a subway, then an hour trying to get a bill from some stupid telecom hardware company, then an hour in a traffic jam for my own 100 roubles, and when I come to work and look at the BBS - what do I see!?

OK, let me see if Toad will get into my little trap.

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2002, 03:28:20 AM »
Last time we declared war on Iraq and killed about 80,000 of them because they trew away some pre-term babies from the maternity-ward incubators.

Since that whole baby-story proved to be a hoax and US population had nothing else against them in 1991, I think they are entitled to one free athrocity or a few minor transgressions.

So we should forgive them an incident with the drone that left no survivors...

miko

The sooner Sadaam is killed, and the sooner that a democratic goverment is set up, the sooner the Iraqi people will be happy.  I'm looking at the long-term success of Iraq.  

Also, we didnt declare war on Iraq because of a few babies, we went to war because Iraq invaded Kuwait.  Less Americans died in the Gulf War than during peace time operations.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2002, 03:50:34 AM »
The sooner Sadaam is killed, and the sooner that a democratic goverment is set up, the sooner the Iraqi people will be happy. I'm looking at the long-term success of Iraq.

You must be a genius to prove a connection between "democracy" and happiness.

Wasn't Hussein democraticaly elected? Or your understanding of "democracy" means "set up by American armed forces"?

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2002, 06:03:26 AM »
The US isn't the world's policeman even though we often find ourselves in the role, far too much imo..

US puts themself in the role. And now is facing the problems it can cost to be onvolved alot crisis on the world.
Freeze