Author Topic: AH voice missing  (Read 667 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
AH voice missing
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2002, 02:52:47 PM »
Yep, onboard sound chips are horrible for gaming.  Before you post about how you have no problems with yours, know this.

The reason they are a bad idea is due to the lack of hardware buffers, which all PCI based cards have.  With no hardware bufffers, the CPU must spend time babysitting the data in a software buffer, instead of just offloading it to the sound card.

In other words, it is a cheap solution.  As with most cheap solutions, it will usually haunt you.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
      • http://mysite.verizon.net/res0v1l1
AH voice missing
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2002, 04:32:24 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Yep, onboard sound chips are horrible for gaming.  Before you post about how you have no problems with yours, know this.

The reason they are a bad idea is due to the lack of hardware buffers, which all PCI based cards have.  With no hardware bufffers, the CPU must spend time babysitting the data in a software buffer, instead of just offloading it to the sound card.

In other words, it is a cheap solution.  As with most cheap solutions, it will usually haunt you.

Scuzzy, MAKE THIS POST STICKY :)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
AH voice missing
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2002, 04:51:05 PM »
Hehe, Dingbat,..experience has taught me most people have to beat thier ahead against the wall at least once before figuring things out. :D

One story serves to remind me of this.

A friend of mine, who does a nice job of maintaining his computer always ranted and raved about how good some companies drivers are compared to the thing I used.
One night at a LAN party, we happen to be on the same team playing UT.
His computer locked up on two occasions, once blue-screening on him.

I looked over at him and asked, "Does it do that a lot?"  He says, "Yea, the game is pretty buggy".

Now I didn't have a crash all night.

It suddenly occurred to me.  He had driver problems, but was instead blaming the application for the problem, instead of what the real problem was.
So in his mind, the his was better and the app was the problem.

Same thing applies.  People are generally reluctant to beleive the product they just bought has a problem and it is easier to blame the application.
So, very rarely, will I even try to disuade people from making a potentially bad choice.

It also works in the reverse.   I won't recommend at ATI user buy a NVidia card, and will not recommend a NVidia user buy an ATI card.
They will both find problems with the video card, even if it is an application problem.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
AH voice missing
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2002, 06:15:56 PM »
Skuzzy,

The reason they are a bad idea is due to the lack of hardware buffers, which all PCI based cards have. With no hardware bufffers, the CPU must spend time babysitting the data in a software buffer, instead of just offloading it to the sound card.

I am curious about the lack of Hardware buffers; although it really doesn't matter much to me since I DO NOT have any sound related issues with my puter.  I run full sound acceleration and everything ,including AH voice works great.  I just ran DXDiag and 8 of the directsound tests were from a hardware buffer and the other 8 were software.  Is that typical of onboard sound or does Nforce MCP use something extra?
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
      • http://home.clara.net/spiff
AH voice missing
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2002, 06:47:23 PM »

You may be right, but I don't usually have a problem in AH with  onboard sound, no crashes or lockups generally.  I may get a CTD once in a blue moon, always after an auger, but very rarely. I don't think Ive had one at all this month, and seems not much problem after the auger bug was fixed.

I have an SB live I bought at the same time with the PC bits (home build) which I could use and which I did intend to fit, but have been too lazy to swap it, as on test the onboard worked well < shrug >

Mine is a SIS based audio Controller SiS 7012 with the AC97 Codec used with a SiS645 Ultra MB and Intel 1.7GHz CPU.

Doesn't seem to slow the CPU down much, getting about 60-70 fps generally, and vox works perfectly. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I did make sure video, sound and network card are all on different interupts.

I've not been enamoured of the latest SB cards, what would our readers recommend? :)

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
AH voice missing
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2002, 07:26:43 PM »

I've not been enamoured of the latest SB cards, what would our readers recommend? :)

I've never used one but I hear the TurtleBeach Santa Cruz is a good card.

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
AH voice missing
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2002, 07:31:47 PM »
A friend of mine, .......

Sounds like a guy I work with too,  but his kick is AMD rocks, and Intel blows chunks.  Well I've built over 10,000 machines (no Joke) and I've seen more issues with AMD than INTEL, but they both have their issues.  AMD is still fairly young in the Processor market, they have a lot of promise but I personally feel they need to work on chipsets, the Proc's are fine.  Basically it's a sum of all the parts that make a good box.  Software included.