Author Topic: Time to Buy a new Cpu..advice??  (Read 718 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Time to Buy a new Cpu..advice??
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2002, 02:29:25 AM »
Used ASUS only Mobos in all the systems I've built (9)
Best manuals in the business.  Easy to understand and complete.

Never had trouble one with the ASUS product.

No matter what, after installing new mobo reinstall your OS.  You don't have to reformat just reinstall.  That way any new instructions from the cpu and new mobo can be picked up by the OS.

By the way.........as I said you don't have to reformat...but it sure is nice to have a fresh system.  One usually does that about every 2 to 3 years anyway.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2002, 04:43:59 AM »
Originally posted by StSanta
My ASUS CUV4X won't allow me to install Win XP. Not sure why. Father had same mobo; same problem. He changed just the mobo, and WinXP installed fine.
if the "scan master boot sector for viruses" is on in the MB BIOS you will never be able to load XP or 2000 or NT ...
that is with the kernel in the NT based systems. you can turn this off in all BIOS and then load fine.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2002, 01:18:28 PM »
JB73:

'Oh'. Why doesn't it say so somewhere? :).

What happens is it'll load for a while, and then give me a cryptical error. Seems it's just when it is about to write, so it's likely something to do with the boot sector. Thanks for the heads up.

Will try that once it's time for another reinstall (just reinstalled when removing Linux fediddleed up the LILO boot).

Oh and yeah, buy ASUS. I haven't bought anything else for years. Great manuals, great features, ok customer service if you ask specific questions.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2002, 04:17:21 PM »
Originally posted by StSanta
JB73:

'Oh'. Why doesn't it say so somewhere? :).

What happens is it'll load for a while, and then give me a cryptical error. Seems it's just when it is about to write, so it's likely something to do with the boot sector. Thanks for the heads up.

thats why we MCSE guys go to $5000/year schools and take expensive tests only to find a job market thats F***** up. :(
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline rc51

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2002, 06:58:20 PM »
http://www.moto-one-computer.us

check it out benchtested a 13.000 on 3d mark 2001