Author Topic: guns idea  (Read 1078 times)

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
guns idea
« on: October 17, 2000, 08:57:00 PM »
 Watching gun cam footage, I was surprised to see sprites. Much like the ones we have in the game. I don't see how a FMJ hitting aluminum would cause this. Then it occurred to me that it was explosive rounds. This got me thinking. Perhaps we should only see hit sprites, if we hit with cannon rounds. Mg rounds would have to depend on debris,for feedback.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
guns idea
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2000, 09:07:00 PM »
Hi

Some incidary ammo on the MGs did cause hit sprites to varying degrees. A good idea might be smaller hit sprites for the 12.7/13mm class weapons, the current hitsprites for the cannon, and very small or non existant ones for the 7.62mm weapons.  Maybe this will be hard to do computer wise, but it be very nice.

thanks GRUNHERZ

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
guns idea
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2000, 09:37:00 PM »
Most countries used some sort of observation round in the rifle calibres to tell the pilot if they were hitting.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
guns idea
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2000, 10:06:00 PM »
There are flashes from ALL rounds hitting metallic targets. This is not a game bug, this is real life. There is a certain amount of heating going on due to friction from impact. That heating presents visible light, hence the hit sprites you see. You don't need explosive rounds to get flashes guys. Look at gun camera footage from early spits firing only .303 MG's. There are lots of flashes visible from plain old ball and AP rounds.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
guns idea
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2000, 10:10:00 PM »
Even solid ball hitting metal causes a flash..

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
guns idea
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2000, 09:10:00 PM »

Originally posted by Pongo:
Even solid ball hitting metal causes a flash..

And a bigger flash then AP, might I add.

- Jig