Author Topic: 2 Hard drives 1 computer  (Read 538 times)

Offline AWwsky

• Zinc Member
2 Hard drives 1 computer
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2002, 09:51:42 AM »
If you want to make a dual boot system without changing your bios, you must always load the earliest version of the OS then the latest (ie Win95/98, then XP).  Each OS has to be in it's own seperate partitian or drive.  When loading an OS, you will see a prompt asking you where you want to install the program, so if you have 2 drives, you should get 2 drive letters(C and D). Change the Drive letter from C:\win for example to D:\win when you see it, pretty easy eh!!  If I remember correctly, when you load XP, it will automatically make it a dual boot and ask which OS you want to load first if you don't select it within a certain time frame, in other words, when you turn the computer on, you have say 10 seconds to chose which one you want to start be it 98 or XP, or if you leave it, it will automatically boot which ever OS is set to the primary OS.  Hope that makes sense to you.. By the way, I have 3 hard drives in one of my computers and plan on getting another for my current computer... Any suggestions on which would be the better HD to get?? (EIDE of course)

AWwsky

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
2 Hard drives 1 computer
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2002, 08:07:35 PM »
I don't think it matters which is primary and which is secondary. I've had 2xIBM deskstars in my PC for a year or two. I select the one I'm going to boot from by varying the boot sequence in the BIOS. That one is always becomes drive C in the system that is booted up.

Originally, I had mine as Primary Master and Secondary Master, but I wanted both to run off the 80 wire IDE cable, and had only one. So I rejigged and arrived at Primary Master and Primary Slave. Made not a jot of difference to how the system worked.