Author Topic: I didn't realize...  (Read 737 times)

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
I didn't realize...
« on: February 26, 2003, 08:32:40 PM »
...exactly what I got myself into when I accepted the challenge of learning AutoCAD, Land Desktop, Inventor, and VIZ4.  I haven't slept in over three days, but damn have I learned a lot! I don't recommend these programs for the casual modeler, terrain creator, or animator, but damn!...

I'm sorry about letting the tiler program go. I'll get back to it this weekend I believe.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Re: I didn't realize...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 11:00:10 PM »
whats Land desktop?. inventor? Viz4?

I never heard of them. I have ALOT of programs From Max3d, and every other 3d program under the sun. I even beta tested Pixars 15 years ago.

I never really got into 3d'ing, my love lies in skinning the objects. Althoug IF HTC would allow 3rd party 3d objects ( minor ones like bridges,houses, objects) I'd be more than happy to help.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by Voss
...exactly what I got myself into when I accepted the challenge of learning AutoCAD, Land Desktop, Inventor, and VIZ4.  I haven't slept in over three days, but damn have I learned a lot! I don't recommend these programs for the casual modeler, terrain creator, or animator, but damn!...

I'm sorry about letting the tiler program go. I'll get back to it this weekend I believe.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
I didn't realize...
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 11:52:11 PM »
Land Desktop allows you to use DEM files to accurately develop landscapes within a project. It is capable of taking even air sectionals and creating terrain (after you get the hang of it).

Inventor has enhanced 3D functionality over AutoCAD with enhanced physics based kinematics and the like. I haven't used it much, but it has my attention. It allows for developing projects and designs without the constraints forced upon a CAD operator. It's a new approach to 3D design/creation that you have to try before you'll know if you like it or not. I like it, because it takes a great load off of robotic design (my field of study).

VIZ is what 3D Studio has become, albeit with new features. No doubt you've heard of the radiosity changes that Maya and others are developing (and first off by Pov-Ray). It's in there.

DenebaCAD is their (Autodesk's) new all-in-one product. I didn't hear about it, until these other packages arrived. There should be demos available for any one of them available at any Autodesk dealer. I also hear you can rent products, but I don't know the details.

It looks like Mechanical Desktop will be the modeling package I settle with. It's got enhancements over the AutoCAD drafting tool set that make it the best (IMO).

These packages are not cheap.

Offline F6Bomber

• Zinc Member
I didn't realize...
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 05:54:26 PM »
Yea i payed for my version of 3D studios Max 4 and 3, I just hope i can exsport the 3D Polygons models that i have in the works into aces high new terrian editor.

Also I am a 3D modeler not a texture and i have to learn how to correctly texture a 3D model sooner or later. I also have C and C++ coding skills so i hope onday i can get a program up and running.

F6Bomber.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
I didn't realize...
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 06:25:01 PM »
Originally posted by Voss
Land Desktop allows you to use DEM files to accurately develop landscapes within a project. It is capable of taking even air sectionals and creating terrain (after you get the hang of it).

Inventor has enhanced 3D functionality over AutoCAD with enhanced physics based kinematics and the like. I haven't used it much, but it has my attention. It allows for developing projects and designs without the constraints forced upon a CAD operator. It's a new approach to 3D design/creation that you have to try before you'll know if you like it or not. I like it, because it takes a great load off of robotic design (my field of study).

VIZ is what 3D Studio has become, albeit with new features. No doubt you've heard of the radiosity changes that Maya and others are developing (and first off by Pov-Ray). It's in there.

DenebaCAD is their (Autodesk's) new all-in-one product. I didn't hear about it, until these other packages arrived. There should be demos available for any one of them available at any Autodesk dealer. I also hear you can rent products, but I don't know the details.

It looks like Mechanical Desktop will be the modeling package I settle with. It's got enhancements over the AutoCAD drafting tool set that make it the best (IMO).

These packages are not cheap.

Voss,

As one who uses these products you have made several mis-statements.

1. Inventor is a peice of 3D mechanical design software.  Similar to Catia and Unigraphics.

2.  Viz is a trimmed down version of Studio for Architectural  visualization.

3.  Deneba has no association with Autodesk.  I think you may be refering to Revit.

F.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
I didn't realize...
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 08:18:40 PM »
Aye, I meant that Inventor is creatively enhanced over AutoCAD. I don't know quite how to put what it lacks, but I want to say complexity. I still can't believe VIZ is a dummied down 3DS. It's amazing. I know Autodesk has an all-in-one and the notes I have from my call to the local dealer has DenebaCAD highlghted. I must have gotten crossed up.

Furious, I'm obviously going to be spending the next year mastering this AutoCAD program, so I won't have time to work much with LDD. Have you tried it? I'm curious what the file sizes are with a completed landscape and how much terrain it can work with at one time.

Doesn't 3DS come included with the latest version of MSFS? I think it was 2002 Pro that is alledged to have a fully functional 3DS with it? It's hard to believe, but so I heard.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
I didn't realize...
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2003, 02:07:06 AM »
As I am not a civil engineer, I really have no need LDD.  I have no idea about its capabillities.  All the site modelling I need to do, I do in ArchiCAD or formZ.

3D design and creation in vanilla AutoCad is about as much fun as pulling your nose hairs.  Inventor is Autodesk's next step up from Mechanical Desktop, meant to compete directly with the software I mentioned above.

Deneba creates art programs, such as Canvas, and DenebaCad is a fairly crappy peice of architecture software.  Also, I believe it is Mac only.

Viz is trimmed down 3DS.  It does have a pretty good tie in with the AutoCad and particularly Architectural Desktop.  

F.

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
I didn't realize...
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2003, 05:36:57 PM »
The difference between AutoCAD and inventor is that AutoCAD is just that, a CAD program. Whereas inventor is what is known as a solid modeler, since you aren't 'drawing' as you would in CAD, but rather, creating the 'object' in three dimensional space including it's physical properties, as you have stated. Also, solid modeler progrmas typically have a built in relational data base, such that when you change parts it auto updates the drawings or if you change a dimension on the drawing it auto updates the part.

However, as far as Solid Modeling goes, for the price, I would recommend Solid Edge or Solid Works, although Autodesk is working hard to catch up to them with Inventor. That is, of course, unless you get a deal on Inventor ;)

As for 3D modeling, if I have accurate blue prints, I like to create a wire frame, similar to the pic below, in AutoCAD, then introduce it into 3DSMax and create the poly's using the wireframe as the reference. It's labor intensive, but when working from blueprints with actual cross sections and coordinates I like the control it offers.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2003, 05:41:07 PM by Sundog »

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
I didn't realize...
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2003, 08:03:35 AM »
I worked with Autocad for years from version 4 to version 12. Version 12 has the capability of rendering a polygon 3D object.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
I didn't realize...
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2003, 09:06:02 AM »
Used Autocad 200 for my degree quite a lot. Found the 3D features pretty good really. No complaints. Used almost the same method as Sundog during my final year design project. All the plans in 2D then it's relatively easy to get it fleshed out into 3D. I won't claim to be anywhere near an expert but even with my limited knowledge the results were better than I expected.

Gatso

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
I didn't realize...
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2003, 07:55:40 PM »
My first 3D model in Acad and it's not complete yet! Damn thing takes forever!

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
I didn't realize...
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2003, 02:04:17 AM »
nice