Author Topic: whats you FS history  (Read 2101 times)

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
whats you FS history
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2002, 11:50:32 AM »
I was sitting at Roadhouse grill having steaks with "X" CPID=AW2 or X427" AH CPID... And he started describing AirWarrior on AOL and food was flying out of his mouth and his hands were mimicking plane manuevers in the restaurant, The whole dinng room was watching him as his right hand shot his left hand down... After about 2 hours of plane combat noises and flying steak chunks
I agreed to dload airwarrior from AOL and try it out...
 First thing I remember was Airwarrior on AOL really bit the big one!! especially on a 486dx33 with 4mb ram.... But there was nothing else out there like it...

T0J0

Offline bizket

• Copper Member
whats you FS history
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2002, 12:09:35 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu
FO?

Fighter Ops. I never played it but I think it was basicly Warbirds for the AOL crowd.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
whats you FS history
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2002, 01:10:56 PM »
Ah.. OK... I vaguely remember that coming around.  I'd strayed from WB by then and didn't see what happened with it.

My On-Line flight sim history:

WB .94-2.0 (Beta tested 2)
Flying Circus
Some RB2/DOA
Aces High

Off-Line... memory test:

Falcon
Falcon 3.0 (plus both add-ons)
Falcon 4.0
F-19 (Microprose)
F-117 (Microprose)
F-15 Strike Eagle
Jet Fighter
Jet Fighter 2
Jet Fighter 3
Aces of the Pacific
Pacific Air War
Heroes of the 357th (one of the worst ever)
Chuck Yeager's something or other
Strike Aces
A-10 Cuba
A-10 Thunderbolt
A-10 Thunderbolt II (I think.. can't really remember)
F-18 Hornet
Jane's USNF
Jane's F-15
Jane's JSF
Jane's IAF
Jane's F/A-18 (Never installed... though Creamo has me almost talked into it)
Jane's Longbow
Jane's Longbow 2
Red Baron
Flight of the Intruder
Comanche 3
Microsoft Combat Simulator 2
WWIIOL
Warbirds III

I figure I've remembered about half of them.  The only one that is not listed that is a glaring ommition is SWOTLW.  I never bought that one and tried it out.  None of the B-17 stuff either.

AKDejaVu

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
whats you FS history
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2002, 01:26:42 PM »
Flight of the Intruder

Now there is a game they need to rerelease, with good terrain.
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline 715

• Silver Member
whats you FS history
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2002, 02:02:24 PM »
Online (goes back about 14 years):
AW Amiga on GEnie, CPID 715 ($6/hr plus $6/hr long distance phone charges to reach POP)
AW DOS on CRIS
Confirmed Kill (I can't believe you all forgot that one; even Hitech forgot to list it and I think he created it- at least he was involved with it as I remember his 'creative' spelling in the help files)
Warbirds from beta to III
AH from just after beta to present
Although it's probably a coincidence, I have always switched to the cheapest online flight sim.

Offline: I buy many but almost never play them for more than a few hours, so I don't recall them.  I've had CFS3 and BF1942 sitting unopened on my desk for over a month.  One I did play for a bit more was IL2- the best I have ever seen in offline flight sims.

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
whats you FS history
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2002, 03:53:41 PM »
LOL AK seems you and I had similar addictions :)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
whats you FS history
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2002, 04:15:05 PM »
F-111 and A-10 simulators at WPAFB circa 1979
SubLogic Flight Simulator (Apple IIe)
SubLogic Flight Simulator II (Apple IIe
Microprose F-15E Strike Eagle (Apple IIe)
Microsoft Flight Simulator (IBM PC)
SubLogic Jet (PC)
Microprose Gunship (PC)
Spectrum Holobyte Falcon (PC)
SubLogic FS 2 (Amiga)
SubLogic Jet (Amiga)
Spectrum Holobyte Falcon (Amiga)
Electronic Arts F/A-18 Interceptor (Amiga)
LucasArts Battlehawks 1942 (Amiga)
LucasArts Their Finest Hour (Amiga)
LucasArts Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe (PC)
SubLogic ATP (PC)
Spectrum Holobyte Falcon 3.0 (PC)
Microsoft Flight Simulator 4 (PC)
Sierra Aces of the Pacific (PC)
ICI WarBirds (PC)
HTC Aces High (PC)
:)

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
whats you FS history
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2002, 04:20:06 PM »
sub-logic.. there's one I couldn't remember...
how many of you, like me, have had, or still have, most of these games ?
was the the one, or was it MS, that was on the C64 ?
anyway, that was my first flight sim.. on the C64,,

now THAT was a powerhouse !!!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2002, 04:22:32 PM by Wlfgng »

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
whats you FS history
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2002, 06:15:58 PM »
I believe SubLogic relased FS II for the C64 and Apple II at about the same time.  The PC version was distributed by Microshaft but it was SubLogic's work.

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
whats you FS history
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2002, 07:46:22 PM »
FS 4.0 (Anyone remember the WWI subgame? Bizarre and utterly unplayable!) This was in 1992.. I was 8 years old and hadn't a clue about planes! I thought 'gear' was something you used to accelerate on the runway! Memories: Most of my memories of FS4 are just watching the demo with neat flybys.
F-15 Strike Eagle III (From 1992 to 1994 I guess) Memories: For some reason my main memory of F-15 III is of an OV-10 being shot down.
Overlord - 1994. Or 'How I learned to stop jetfighting and love the Tiffy.' Memories: Rockphoon attacks on trains, and Fw190s' wing roots exploding. Also ditching the Tiffy with cool panning external view as you did so! The diary part of this game was inspired.
Strike Commander - 1995. An RPG flight sim. The geeky side of me wishes we had more of these, (though I don't play RPGs). And who cares what the other 1% of me thinks? Memories: The infrared warning light blinking ever closer, teaming up with MiG-29s briefly, the cafe meets with shifty persons, the nukes hitting Ireland and the screen whiting out. Class.
EF2000 - 1996. Probably my favourite flight sim. Memories: Barrel-rolling to defeat incoming missiles. Firing off Meteors. Low-level runway attacks. MiG-29 dogfights. Ejecting and watching the plane plunge into the sea with an incredibly cool splash. I still use the EF2000 sound pack as my computer sounds (Warning, systems failure!), which annoys the hell out of everyone :)
Warbirds - 1996/1997/1998
Or so. I actually played Warbirds online in the arena (for one night, till the 5 hours was up!) when it was in a very early stage, having got the demo off the US version of PC Gamer. I shot down a P38, as I recall. Played H2H from release till it got porked in 2.xx, first finding opponents in DALnet #fscombat then on some sort of H2H ladder. Wally? Memories: Loads. Mostly duelling vs 'Jedi Lancelot', a Hong Kong Ki84 pilot and bloody alt monkey, whilst I flew a Hurri IIC (or Spit, or something) and the crazy method of ACM it taught.. flying low and watching the shadows of the planes on the surface of the sea to judge the angles.)
Hornet 3.0 - I got invited into the 44th Werewolves squadron in Hornet 3.0 and had a great time with the 4-player games that game was capable of. These games were all about stealth and radar evasion, not furballs. Memories: High-speed chases through canyons with 'Altitude! Altitude! blaring and ground effect buffeting. The sound of missiles launching. Watching another Hornet streak overhead, missing me by less than 50ft without seeing me as I made an attack.
Flying Circus - 1997/1998
Pure unadulterated online air combat. Utterly daft. Great fun.
Memories: The AK, WingWalkers, Jasta 11,  A1 vs C1 (?) 'gentlemans' duelling area with no firing on the merge (!), cheating for my Blue Max (20 kill streak) by pulling out the phone line when I was losing (and by that method keeping the kill streak next sortie!), not cheating for whatever the !! icon was called (50 kill streak) and hence never getting it, bizarre collisions, joining the Red Dragons, and Photoman's great doctored FC screenshots (Which is where Loose Rivets came from really)
Red Baron II - 1998/1999/2000
With FC's beta ending RBII was a poor cousin. OK, so it was more realistic, but the online part was uninspiring. Losing most of the Red Dragons didn't help matters. I ended up playing offline more than anything else, since the single player game ruled. RB3D was the 'massively multiplayer' element and extremely cool by comparison, though I don't really remember it as fondly as other online games. Memories: Fokker DVIIs going insane when damaged. Nieuport 28s spiralling down without the top wings. The best use of 'skins' in any online sim ever, with every squadron having individual paints. Making the Red Dragons paintschemes. Picking the Pfalz DVIII(?) and eventually DIII so as not to be flying a dweeb plane. Finding the DIII was as uber as anything else when damaged and finally giving up because of it. Thinking what a bunch of lamers some squadron who had bat-like wings (hard to describe.. the trailing edge was sort of webbed) on their aircraft (by playing with transparency) were. ;)
Confirmed Kill - The beta. Bad memories: The game. Good memories: Didn't those beta CDs look nice?
Aces High - From whenever it started. Don't remember much about it really. Wouldn't waste your time if I was you. ;)

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
whats you FS history
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2002, 08:01:07 AM »
Originally posted by 715

AW... on GEnie, CPID 715 ($6/hr plus $6/hr long distance phone charges to reach POP)

lol me too (CPID 2214). Not to mention that I was playing at 2400 bps from Japan... talk about warpage hehe.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
whats you FS history
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2002, 08:05:43 AM »
anyone remember tfx?
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
whats you FS history
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2002, 08:08:33 AM »
Falcon 1.0 (Spectrum Holobyte the real company before corruption that was Microprose)  for MAC

nuff said...

DoctorYO

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
whats you FS history
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2002, 08:09:01 AM »
Secret weapons of the Luftwaffe
Aces over europe
Aces of the pacific
Falcon 3
Warbirds 2.x about 1 year
AH since beta, with little breaks every now and then.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
whats you FS history
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2002, 09:07:01 AM »
I've only had a computer since April 1999, so my list is short:

WB
Jane's Fighter Squadron
Some other Jane's game, can't remember it now
IL-2
DOA
MS Combat Flight Simulator
Falcon 4.0
WB III
AH
AW (tried it for about two months, hated it)
Fighter Ace (what a joke)
When the upgraded DOA comes out I will probably try it out, always had fun in that setting and era............