Author Topic: 8 or more kills per sortie  (Read 809 times)

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
8 or more kills per sortie
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2003, 10:46:36 PM »
Grunherz,

I understand what you mean but with a long rifle you are not shooting thousands of rounds a minute. The rate of fire simply overcomes the difficulty of aiming.

Shiva,

That little stall plate is highly overrated. At least in it's change of the F4U flight envelope as recognized by the masses. That stall plate was installed after the first 800 were produced (along with many other drag reducing features) and then all the rest were retro-fitted all by August of 1943. So in fact of the 12,500 that were built only 800 did not have them for the first 3 months they were deployed. So it may have had a huge impact but it was only noticable to the few squadrons of F4U pilots. In any case I didn't want to Thread Jack.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2003, 11:03:09 PM »
I wonder why people think that aircraft shake so much.

Anyone ever see Bob Hoover's film of rolling without spilling the glass of water on the dash?

Turbulence exists. But the idea that you're continually in a martini shaker while inflight.......

As for recoil, remember that the guns are bolted to airframes weighing in around 5 or 6 tons. Also, remember that the little molecules of air are chasing over the top and bottom of the wing at 300+ miles an hour and exerting pressure on both the top and bottom of the wing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2003, 05:09:45 AM »
I'd wager the VAST majority of the player base is under 10% in fighter hit percentage. Is that "too easy"? I don't know; that's a judgement or "gameplay" call for the folks that run the game.

Would agree on that, just check the score pages for most people and it is bellow 10% (for the majority).

Personally when I land my sorties, it's usually quite high kill counts (without vulching). I usually fly 190's and the Ta152 with occasional sorties in the P51, Mossie (this plane I am starting to love), F4u, P47 etc. So I always have fairly much ammo, I almost never use all the ammo though.

Easy gunnery in AH? Possible, don't think so anyway. What is easy though is to spot every hit thanks to big flashes.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2003, 05:13:10 AM by Wilbus »
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2003, 06:13:19 AM »
Mossie (this plane I am starting to love)

LOL wicked Willi is starting to feel the power of the darkside :)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2003, 06:43:18 AM »
Hehehe, cc revvin, landed one 9 kill sortie first sortie this tour (in the mossie). Then flew with Ghosth, both in mossie, We both died as at the end of the sortie it felt like all bish in the area were hunting us (really, they jumped us from every direction) and I died with 13 kills in the sortie (after zig zagging between trees and driving a Yak into the ground the last F4u got me). Landed another 11 kill sortie and a few small sorties aswell. I never used reload pad.

Perk point for my 9 kill sortie: 39.95. 13 kill sortie I had some 30 perks same with the 11 kill sorite :D

it can outturn most planes and outrun the others, gotto love it! :)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Strange

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2003, 07:24:35 AM »
Well,  Its not uncommon for those of us in the 56th to land with 4-10 kills. Thats not by vulching, but by working as a team.  If not we wouldn't be good Jug pilots :D

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2003, 09:26:36 AM »
Ooooo...Wilbus has a thing for mossies.  Next he'll be flying spitfires.:D   Mossies are pretty cool although i don't fly them as often as i used to.  Its a nice feeling you get when you know you can kill out to ranges of 1.2k if a con tries extending in a straight line, those 4 hispanos are nice.:) I don't tend to use the mossie for fighting anymore, but for hit and run against bases.  If you miss the fuel/barracks with the bombs the nose mounted 20mm take them out with ease.  Another thing wilbus, how many of your deaths are from your mossie getting set on fire?  Mine are alway getting set of fire.

Back to topic-

I have a high % gunnery but i don't think all i'm a great shot.  It's not often i fire over 300m and even when it's a deflection shot at 300m it's hard not to miss.  When i fly a spit i try to get 8 kills a sortie, it has enough ammo if you get close and fire under 300m.  However if i'm in a plane with nose mounted guns i'll take shots a lot further out.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2003, 09:53:40 AM »
Don't think any of my deaths are due to fire actually. One is when I got rammed, the other ones have been loss of wings or tail or something like that. But I know it's very prone to burn :)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2003, 11:39:25 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ

F4UDOA I still dont think precision hunting/sniper rifles fired from a bench or prone or anyhow not moving or vibrating are a good comparison to rapid fire MG fired from a dynamic shaking mount such as a WW2 fighter.

Grun i must admit i also thought it was a bad comparison until i saw that F4UDOA has flown in AircombatUSA. To me this makes F4udoa much more experienced in actual dogfighting than any pilot who just flies cessnas.

If he feels the comparison is just then seeing as how he has flown a real aircraft in a mock dogfight and fired therifle he mentions he must be able to see the similarity far better than  us who generally have done neither!

I was lucky enough to fire a MP40 in Las Vegas last year and i was astounded how accurate it was and how easy it was to hit targets the full lentgh of the shooting range. I had always assumed the gun would jump around all over the place and make accurate fire impossible but i could actually hit with relative ease even on my first manic burst of fire :D

I opened up like a lunatic and emptied an entire clip into a osama bin ladin target poster!!! :D. Grinning like a man whos just had sex with 200 nubile amazonians i turned to the gunsmith fellow and said 'wow thats accurate' and he replied 'could you not fire constantly, use short bursts please or you'll burn the barrel out' :p

I think I'll take F4UDOA's word for it at least until I get my chance to experience Aircombat USA too.

Offline meddog

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2003, 11:43:09 AM »
man i must really suck. This was the first month that I scored over a 1.0 kill/death ratio.  That means most of the time ill get 1 kill before being shot down some times 2. but there are days ill up 4,5 6 or more times and only get 1 or 2 kills the whole time. You guys make this seem so easy. Like shouldn't everyone have 4,5 or 6 kill runs 90% of the Time and land them.  Any of you have my permission to look up my stats and tell me what you think

« Last Edit: January 02, 2003, 11:45:55 AM by meddog »
Yes I know I suck, other wise youuuuu would be dead so stop bragging.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2003, 12:15:31 PM »
I've fired plenty of RL M2 .50 cal rounds on full auto and the "vibration" is no big deal. In fact, it's a boring gun to fire. Even mounted on a flex mounting, it's just press the butterfly and walk in the rounds in short, compact bursts. In fact, to qualify you are expected, as I recall, to hit a target at 800m with the first 12 rounds. Setting the headspace and timing can be the most interesting part of the experience :) The only two times I saw significant "dispersion" were with a shot-out barrel where the rounds corkscrewed downrange and an imporperly sandbagged tripod mount. If you look at the gun camera film, for all the "shaking" that is going on most of the rounds seemt to arrive on target with little trouble.

Charon

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2003, 01:01:40 PM »
Meddog, I think your score seams pretty average (think).

Looking back on other tours you've flown your score has improved quite much :) Nothing wrong with you score at all, nor you kill death or any of it.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2003, 01:26:57 PM »
My gunnery has improved some the last couple of months, in the 10-15% range.   One reason is I got a Saitek X45 stick and throttle,  much more accurate than the Thrustmaster Afterburner I was using before.  Second is I started flying the LA7 a lot more.  I have to wait till I'm 300 or less before I start shooting.   That patience has carried over to all the other planes I fly.
I've had several sorties where I got 5 to 8 kills with the LA7 but I keep pressing my luck because I still have half a tank of fuel left or I still have 50 or more rounds left and I'm either defending and there is no time to land and get another plane or I'm capping a base we are attacking and there is no time to RTB for a fresh plane.  

I once had a sortie defending a base on the AKDessert map, only 50% fuel available, took up a Vak 9T.   Once we cleared the immediate airspace around the base, I went towards the base the attackers where using and met them half way.  Killed a couple of goons, B-26's, and P47s.   Spent about 10 mintues flying around.  Got about 8 kills, used up all the 37mm rounds and had about 100 rounds of 12mm, decided to RTB to get a new plane and ran out of gas and had to ditch,  I forgot I only had 50% fuel.

AirScrew  (LA7 Dweeb and proud of it)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2003, 02:06:00 PM »
The spray n pray method with the high ammo count birds is quite something...I'm always in awe (among other emotions...) when someone hoses me down from 1.4k and 1 ping takes off a wingtip and sends me to Earth :rolleyes:

I've been enjoying the planes with far less ammo loads, like the Yak and the Hurricane...both with the big cannon loads.  Mostly for Tiger hunts but I've learned a great deal of discipline when chasing the Spits and La7s around to not squeeze off ammo until I have a sure shot at very close range.  After a few flights in the Yaks, I'm pretty much gaa-gaa when I take a P-47 D-11 up and have more ammo than I know what to do with  :)

I've just had a ton of fun lately flying the Yaks as of late...good perks, crap for ammo, but BOY when you ping em, they fall apart fast  ;)