Author Topic: 2 questions...  (Read 174 times)

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
2 questions...
« on: January 04, 2002, 06:50:00 PM »
are .50 cals modled correctly?? effective range, DAMAGE, and dispertion?? damage is something i want to highlight here, they seem to course almost as much damage as 20mms!! or do i just have bad luck??

and does having no tracers increase damage,range, etc??

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
2 questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2002, 09:37:00 PM »
IMO the 50's are undermodeled and they certainly do not do anywhere nmear the amount of damage as the 20mm's. As Pyro said in a much earlier post the 20mm's are equivalent to four 50's in damage each. Particularly the hispano 20mm's.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
2 questions...
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2002, 11:38:00 PM »
Who can say? They sure are not as powerful round for round as any 20mm. The ballistics seem to be right from what I recall of previos discussions. But the damage model is just conjecture on HT and Pyros part so our conjecture about their conjecture is obviosly not worth much.
But it makes a good game.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
2 questions...
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2002, 11:44:00 PM »
Ahem...

The AH .50cals are severly undermodeled, especially those on bombers and vehicles.

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
2 questions...
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2002, 03:46:00 PM »
ok, i exaggerated a bit on the 20mm thing, but they do seem like that when i get a few hits on my tail, and the horizontil stab goes by by (or maybe its the planes i fly)

also, wot about my question about tracers

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
2 questions...
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2002, 03:57:00 PM »
1) its not the bullet damage, but the a/c's damage model. In AH you get hit and the entire thing falls off. IMO, this is the 2nd biggest gripe I have with the game.

2) Normally it'd be 1 tracer per X amount of bullets (AH I think its ever 5?). So no tracers may mean you firing 1/5th more bullets. No tracers does nothing to increase damage or range. What it does is not show tracers (duh). It is very useful for 50 cal planes since they can fire at a fleeing con, and since no tracers are seen, the con stays nice and level until the lead wall hits. On the backside, your gunnery goes down a lot until you get used to it. You also lose the ability of making others turn so you can close in since they wont have the fear of tracers.

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
2 questions...
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2002, 04:04:00 PM »
Well i guess i havent checked it in Ah but if you first think that by the 20mm=4*12.7mm you think that the P47 is messed cuz by that it would have the equivelent to less than or equal to 2 20mm(s). But you have to remember that the browning fire atleast 2wice as fast as the 20mm(s) so i take in the amount of time it takes to shoot 2 20mm shells you can shoot 4 .50s so the 47 would have the equivelent or less than 4 20mm(s) which i think is almost about right. But even so the .50s i think are undermodeled.

Thank you for hereing my fuzzy math out.....

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
2 questions...
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2002, 04:28:00 PM »
just thought of another advantage of having no tracers, you can spray and pray like mad and no one can tell

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
2 questions...
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2002, 04:59:00 PM »
Hobodog,

Um, I'm afraid to tell you its not nearly that much of an advantage over the 20s.

The .303 has a RoF of 20 r/sec.
The .50 cal has a RoF of about 12.5 r/sec, a muzzle velocity of 880 m/sec and 17,800 joules at the muzzle.
The 20mm Hispano MkII has a rate of fire of 10 r/sec, a muzzle velocity of 880 m/sec and 50,300 joules at the muzzle.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
2 questions...
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2002, 04:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by BenDover:
just thought of another advantage of having no tracers, you can spray and pray like mad and no one can tell

Not to mention being able to shoot over, around, or through friendlies without them seeing that you're trying to steal their kill.  ;)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
2 questions...
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2002, 07:39:00 AM »
BenDover, the comparison with 20mm guns depends a lot of the 20mm weapon.
I would say an AH MG151/20 is equivalent to 2 .50, an AH hispano to 4 and an AH shvak to 1.5 .50s (or even less).

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
2 questions...
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2002, 01:06:00 PM »
I believe there is also an energy element too.  If I dive 6K feet and cake off a quick burst doing about 400 + mph most of the time my target gets shredded pretty quickly with 50’s.  On the other hand if I’m co-alt on the same target it takes more hits.

Bombers come apart nicely with a good altitude advantage but can take a pretty generous hosing without the energy build up.

Zippatuh