Author Topic: mabye proof the 1.03 model was right?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline bod

• Zinc Member
mabye proof the 1.03 model was right?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2000, 08:35:00 AM »
Cool,

Just a few questions and comments regarding the thrust/climb speed calculations:

Considering all the planes in AH hace constant speed drives, i would believe that your propeller efficiency curve a bit wrong. The thrust of a constant speed drive propeller is in general relatively independant of aircraft velocity, although designed to have a maximum at some point (with real values of max speed and max climb or static thrust, you will have a good idea). Also i don't understand why you include the propeller efficency curve also in the excess power calculations when you already have included it in the thrust calculations?, or maybe i have missed something?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2000, 08:45:00 AM »
Re: The Bumbblebee

I recalled this from our BBS on 10/29/99, posted by Pyton in "Aircraft Sizes":

"Just a point about that "bumblebee can't fly" thing (it's something of a crusade for me ). The proof prooves only that bumblebees can't GLIDE, not that bumblebees can't FLY.
When the engineer who made the calculations did it he failed to take into account the movement of wings and this version spread around. Later when he checked it he took into account the movement of wings it was clear that bumblebee could easily fly, but science prooving that bumblebees can't fly was a much better story than science prooving that they can fly."

FWIW.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

-towd_

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2000, 09:07:00 AM »
sheesh this is almost like the okd days . kinda cozy.