Author Topic: World War II veteran interview project update 01/2003  (Read 297 times)

Offline Grendel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.compart.fi/icebreakers
World War II veteran interview project update 01/2003
« on: January 04, 2003, 01:13:05 PM »
Hello guys,

I haven't been giving regular updated about the Finnish Virtual Pilots Association's WW2 veteran interview processes lately, so here's something shortly.

Some time ago we presented the birthday greetings of Finnish and international online sim pilots to mr. Kauko Aho, Blenheim bomber pilot 1944-1945 and the retired chairman of Finnish WW2 veteran pilots' association Pilvenveikot. Mr. Aho has been very actively helping and participating in our happenings.

Birger Vesoma, HLeLv 30 (Fighter Squadron 30), 1944. Flew Fiat G.50s and Messerchmitt 109s in combat. Was in Germany in 1944 grabbing new 109s for FiAF and was caught cold in middle of B-17 daylight  bombing raid in Berlin.  

Erkki Pakarinen, highly experienced fighter pilot with combat experience on Brewster B-239 and Me 109. Also acted as pilot trainer. Is extremerely talkable and enjoys sharing his memories, so we've so far met twice with some almost nine hours of recordings already and we've barely reached the end of 1942. We'll be meeting again! :)

Georg Strömberg, unbelievable person. Has flown over 40 different plane types. Has created the Fokker D.XXI pilot's manual for FiAF, then flew the Curtiss Hawk 75 fighter in combat. Was the Air Force representative in Finnish Army High Command and was responsible of the Soviet  prisoner's interrogations. For example interrogated major Bamshin, the regimental commander of a VVS IL-2 assault plane regiment. Also participated in the highly secret "Stella Polaris" operation, where Finnish radio intelligence materials were transferred to "west" to make sure they won't fall into Soviet hands.

Heikki Tuominen, a submarine hunter. Navigator in SB-2 bombers hunting SOviet subs in the Gulf of Finland. Was in infantry during the early Continuation War participating in the heavy battles of Aunus Karealia.

Jarl Arnkil, Curtiss Hawk 75 fighter pilot. Flight commander, participated in the heavy battles  of early and middle COntinuation War, then acted as the squadron intelligence officer.

Mr. Erkki Palosuo, submarine hunter. The most successful submarine hunter of FiAF in the  WW2. Joined the Air Force already in 1935 - 91 years old gent!

Antti Tani and Jussi Huotari, two great gentlemen. Antti Tani, ace of 20+ victories and Jussi Huotari, 10+ ace. Antti Tani flew the Morane Saulnier 406 and Me 109, Jussi Huotari flew the Brewster and Me 109.

No photo of mr. Hemmo Leino here, I'm amazed to find. Just wonderful Sir too, officially credited with 10+ kills but research in Russian archives have actually over doubled his victory list to 20+.

No photo of mr. Martti Uotinen either. But he's renowned Junkers Ju 88 bomber pilot who had lots and lots of excellent information to share :)

And all these will be available, sooner or later, here:

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/hist/

Take care and visit... ->

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/hist/

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
World War II veteran interview project update 01/2003
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2003, 11:59:27 AM »
wow thanks for your trouble . wonderful project you have going !

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Awesome, Grendel!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2003, 12:51:21 PM »
You are very fortunate to be able to spend time with those veterans and get firsthand perspectives from them.
Keep it up, good luck on your project!  :)