Author Topic: P-51D Joyflight- Video and Photos  (Read 998 times)

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
P-51D Joyflight- Video and Photos
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2003, 07:59:58 PM »
Ahh i thought Uncle was fester since the website said "Festers Day"  

But anyways very cool Uncle! ;)

Offline Lazer1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2003, 10:52:03 PM »
haha.. Fester has a new name! :D  Cool ride, looks uber.

Offline Uncle

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2003, 01:02:48 AM »
Uncle was my name in AW3 and I managed to get it here when it went thru the free trial period a few years ago. Fester's my handle in WW2OL and IL-2 hence the name in the website:)

Now for the bad news. It costs AU$1100/20 min, AU$2200/40 min and AU$3300/60 min. For you folks in the states the Aussie peso is worth roughly half what the greenback's worth.

I've got no experience with powered aircarft but have been flying gliders on and off for the last 20 years or so. After doing my first aileron roll unassisted I guess he trusted me at the controls.

Getting in the plane it was pretty tight because of the dual configuration but I can imagine it being fairly roomy as a single. Having sat in the cockpit of  a Spitfire Mk5 2 years ago this is a great improvement.

On start-up as you can hear in the video the Merlin has got a beatiful throaty roar to it which Mitsu has  captured quite well in his soundpacks. (I've sent them to Mitsu already) Next we do the taxing down the runway doing the zig-zag motion 'cause you can see SFA with that big nose in the way. HT's left and right views are a bit too much 'cause when you're strapped in tight you've got around 6" of head play either side.

I was really surprised during take-off as to how quick we got up in the air, it would've been less than 200 yards. As soon as we took off he fairly pointed the nose up and by this time we were doing 150 knots.

According to WA regulations we were only allowed to do 200 knots:( More on this later. The visiblity was amazing. If you try to look back your peripheral vision will just allow you to spot a bogey on your 6. HT's rear 3/4 view is pretty well spot on as to what you see in the plane itself. Mind you, this plane  has no headrest to obstruct the view.

The other thing I wasn't prepared for is how loud the Merlin is. Try this- DL the barrel roll avi., crank up both your speakers and subwoofer to Max. and you'll get a good idea of how loud it is. I tried but never got to hear the landing gear go down or retract.

At the start of our first loop before we went vertical the g's hit the 4.5 mark. It was being hit by a steamroller. It took all my neck muscles to stop my head snapping back and I could feel my facial muscles starting to peel back. Neg g's were even worse 'cause they made me feel like throwing up. Even a small dose of forward stick and I could feel my breakfeast coming up. Mind you, being on the piss the night before didn't help:( Plus there must have been some fuel leakage when going inverted 'cause you could smell petrol for a minute or so afterwards.

I found the controls to be fairly stiff compared to gliders and what most game sticks have got to offer. They require positive and assertive use to get the nose pointing in the direction that you want but when it does it's like it's on rails unlike the wavering that I find in most flight sims. (Could be my stick settings though) Doing rolls was very easy, just point the nose up a bit and move the stick as you apply a bit of rudder and presto, done. Wingovers were the same, just take her into a gentle climb, roll the plane as you pull the stick back and then you're into a shallow dive. Now I've got the spring on my TM stick to hardest setting and it's very much lile the real thing.

I wasn't allowed to do loops because of the danger of me stalling the plane. Apparently the 51 can get pretty nasty when it gets out of control.

Spent the rest of the time doing turns with the wings vertical to see how much E I'd loose. I had to keep the speed above 150 but it seemed to maintain E pretty well.

Towards the end of the flight the pilot demonstrated an air-to-ground attack and by the time we got to 500 ft we were doing around 320 knots and you could start to feel the vibrations coming thru and the g's climbed as we pulled out of the dive. The acceleration in the dive was pretty bloody quick.

And now as to how it compares to our beloved sims. I can't comment on WB's, but WW2OL, IL-2 and AH do a very good job of simulating something that's very hard to simulate. Within the limits of what I was allowed to do the pony in AH seems very much like the real thing. It's impossible to judge acceleration in a sim unless you look at speedo 'cause you haven't got the g forces that really let you know how fast you're going plus the vibration as the plane speeds up. Stalls and the like aren't allowed so I can't pass comment on them.

And now to personal preferences. Personally I think that IL-2 gives me the most feeling as to what it was like for me being in a real warbird. When it comes to game play and sheer fun AH is hard to beat, so that's what I play most of the time.

And now for a thank you to my sponsors- The M.A.W's and all those other wonderful gentlemen flying for a just cause and all that is decent in this world- the Knights!:D

The written word isn't my strong point so I apologise for not being as articulate as I would've liked.

BGB, try using Quicktime to open them because that's what my camera uses to process the video.

Uncle.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2003, 01:13:04 AM »
And now to personal preferences. Personally I think that IL-2 gives me the most feeling as to what it was like for me being in a real warbird. When it comes to game play and sheer fun AH is hard to beat, so that's what I play most of the time.

Many people without flying a real aircraft come to that same conclusion. The AH numbers would agree.

Good read.

Fuzzybunny

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2003, 01:20:48 AM »
Cool stuff. I bet many of us are jealous, I know I am.

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2003, 01:56:33 PM »
very sweet Uncle...i want a ride !!!!!!!!!!!

I will try the Quik time ...thx..Try2 was also having problmes running the video...

Salute

Love
BiGB
xoxo

Offline viking73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2003, 02:46:38 PM »
BGB, you must me thinking of someone else cause I just looked at this today and had no problems.
T2Maw
80th FS {OM-KNIGHTS} Kommando Nowotny {FSO}/{CCS}
S.A.P.P.
Air Warrior 1996, Aces High 2000
Skin Designer

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2003, 03:07:43 PM »
I flew in a B-17G 2 summers ago...the"909"...

BGBMAW, I actually flew the "909" six years ago before they stopped letting you fly them. It cost $500(which you can write off)and it was worth every penny. I got about 15 minutes stick time and we were flying over Puget Sound. After flying straight for a few minutes, the pilot(I was in the co-pilot's seat)said bring her around, we're headed back to the field. The yoke was a little stiff, but after a little effort, I dropped the port wing and brought her 180 degrees about. Needless to say, I had the biggest "woody" of my life.
     My buddy was behind me filming the whole thing and I have pictures also. There's a museum in Olympia, Washington that has a Mustang and they'll let you fly as a passenger behind the pilot(they removed all the radio gear)and that is $500 for just 20 minutes. Maybe some day I'll do that one. They also have a Corsair that they give rides in along with a Skyraider.

Stony
1st Nasty(and a Knight also)

:D

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2003, 03:20:12 PM »
that i ssweet i didnt know they used to let u fly the "909"... Thwe pilot that was flying with us..he fle LO the Whole time..really was kik ass..we strafed the lake..and he was banking hard...really really worth everypenny....

Dam $500 for 20 minutes...Ouch,.,,,,But i would defntly do it ...I need an hour tho...$2,000.!!!..oo im gonna have to rob som ..1..lolo

Ok..Try2..must have been Ice who said he had the problem..I was too bust killn the 5 Bish or Rook that "tried" to jump me...

hehehe

BiGB
xoxo

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2003, 09:23:27 PM »
I dl'ed Quick time and still cant get it to work :(

Offline Uncle

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2003, 09:54:05 PM »
2stony:
    Do us all a big favour and post those photos and video ASAP. Hanging out to have a look at the insides of a 17!
    It looks like the prices in the states are the same as here in Oz, so go for it BGB.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2003, 10:15:10 PM »
Wow!  I just looked at this thread - VERY cool!

I start my CFI classes soon - hope I get a shot in the next few years at an aircraft as beautiful as that one!  :eek:

Offline Booky

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2003, 12:52:29 AM »
I can't decompress these at work, I'll ahve to try at home with a updated media player.

I almost did this same thing in California for $650/hour. Mayby when I finish school and get a job flying for the USPS (hopefully, or airlines) I will be able to afford this fun stuff :-)

Booky

Offline CMC Airboss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2003, 01:55:21 PM »
I too was presented with an opportunity to take a P-51 flight last summer at the NW-EAA's Fly-in at Arlington, WA.  

As for AH, IL-2, etc simulating flight: well, no desktop flight sim really does.  The biggest difference is the effect of G forces followed by how much more you can see at one time.  A computer screen gives too much of a "soda straw" view effect even in AH's excellent view system.  Stick forces also vary wildy from slow to fast flight (from zero force when stopped to dozens of lbs. of force past 300mph) in the P-51.  No autopilot or autotrim either.   Airplane emergencies don't really matter in the sim but the risk losing that big Merlin could mean a crash landing and potentially life threatening injuries.  Hard to simulate that.  Still, the flight was simply amazing.

Here's one of the shots I took:

MiG

Offline Uncle

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2003, 09:21:14 AM »
Sorry guys but my host for the videos and photos has pulled the plug on me because of bandwidth problems:(