Author Topic: Limited Lives...what's your opinion for CT?  (Read 1806 times)

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
Limited Lives...what's your opinion for CT?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2003, 03:43:40 PM »
1) For. Would help test for mission theater and cap events

2) 4 lives per hour. Gives buff formations a 2nd chance.

3) For "midair" friendly collisions turned on. I'm under the illusion midair means you've already taken off.. but I don't know we've never tested it.. If not you have to announce on vox when and what runway you want to launch. Adds to immushin'

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2003, 03:48:05 PM »
Suggest you leave the vehicle spots not applicable to this if you can. Figure a whole bunch of us will find ourselves without much to do and a ride across the countryside might be a way out.
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2003, 04:21:24 PM »
This will be an interesting experiment. I'm looking forward to it. If it works out it may represent a new standard for the CT. If not, well we tried it and know for sure. What's to lose? Give it a shot!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2003, 04:31:29 PM »
So... if you fly a formation and all three die, it's three lives.

Sounds like six is two low. Maybe ten would do it.
sand

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2003, 04:32:32 PM »
I'd be willing to give it a try once.  It wouldn't really change my style that much, because I always fly to live, anyway.  (Not nearly as successful as I would like to be, however.)

I think the CT is an appropriate venue for the experiment.

But I think 6 LPH would be a bare minimum, particularly in light of the buff issue and the frequent need to up gvs for base defense due to the lack of mannable field guns on so many CT maps.  I'd like to see the number more in the 8-9 range -- limiting, but not too constricting.

Splash1

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2003, 04:57:15 PM »
Sabre,
I usually think your ideas are great.  This, however, I think is a bad one.

The goal, to make other players fly more realistically, as if their lives depended on it.
The consequences;

Experienced players are more likely to not be affected by the implementation of limited lives.  Many experienced players would be able fly as they normally do and not be affected by death limiter.  Newbies on the other hand, will be out of luck.  Their only chance to make it through an hour with out hitting the death limit will be to play it VERY safe, choose a fast plane, get high, and run from all.  Most newbies will hit the limit soon, leave the arena, and not come back.
So a few newbies leave, numbers in the CT go down, and even fewer players log in because they see small numbers.  Hard to get the old snowball rolling if you essentially kick players out. I think the CT numbers would be very low for this one.

Then there’s lopsided country numbers.  90% of the time (or more) I fly for the country with the lesser numbers.  I do this to even things out, and also because I know I will have to spend less time looking for someone to fight.  While I certainly can find more action per hour fighting for the underdog, I am more often at a disadvantage because the enemy has greater numbers.  With a death limit, I would expect even more players less willing to fight for the underdogs.  Balance will be an issue.

The underdog side often has the slower planes.  Couple this with lesser numbers, AND a death penalty that will have a greater impact on the underdogs (because most will be flying more timidly… for the uberdogs) and you may see a very uneven side balance.  With it being so hard to find a fight, players will likely log off.

Base defense.  Why do it with a death limit?  At times, I love doing base defense.  It can be, however, the most dangerous duty around.  There are a lot of CT players that are very good at holding a base against any odds or situation.  This would put those players out of action and perhaps make base capture much like delivering the daily milk…

Personally, I die in the CT anywhere from less that once an hour to more than 10 times an hour.  Sometimes I play to live, sometimes I play to kill.  One thing is for sure, I still having a lot of fun when I die 10+ times an hour.  Sometimes that’s the most fun that the CT has to offer {Like when one of the airbases gets captured on Malta Island, 4 miles from the other bases. Everyone’s getting 20+ kills AND deaths per hour.}.  If I use up my, say 6 lives in 20 minutes, what am I to do?  Well, what I typically do when the CT is “down” is go to the MA (yet to go there this month).  Once I’m in the MA, if I latch on to something fun, say a good furball, vulch, or tank fight, I’ll likely stay.

Want to make players fly more realistically?  Please think of another way.  But don’t kill the CT in the process, even a week.

eskimo

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2003, 05:37:55 PM »
I dont beleave we canturn the coloshion on after a certain time it is on or it's not, which means if spawn onto a runway whear your buddy is you and he die.
Your right, you can't. It is on or off.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2003, 06:08:23 PM »
Thanks daddog I suspected that but was not 100% shure.

Offline HiJack

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2003, 06:08:35 PM »
Had to think on this one, sounds real interesting, and think it would be fun, but I have to agree with Esk on this one. Not that he ever gets killed, (not by me anyway) but Im afraid it would take players away from the CT and we really dont want to do that.  Right now we have a pretty good turnout on certain nights and i think there might be some more squads coming soon (we can use them) and I thinki something like this will turn some away. To use CTers that fly it almost exclusively it probably wouldnt matter but I would hate to see some players shy away from the CT because of a tryout thing. All we really need are 2 or 3 more squads and the CT will be really fantastic arena. (Not that it isnt now, just sometimes there is a shortage of numbers). So I have to vote no on this one Sabre, think it is a great idea, but at the wrong time.

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2003, 07:01:16 PM »
Hey, it's only a cupla days to start the week, as Sabre said in his original post.  I doubt that's going to kill the CT.

Splash1

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2003, 09:09:00 PM »
ENABLE IT  

Maybe then we'll see some really cool, and survivable tactics showing in the CT hehee   Ya know, folks flying smart versus spray and pray?

Who knows, ya ight even start a trend AND a new arena to use it in.
:cool:
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2003, 10:53:02 PM »
Its a neat idea, but like Eskimo I see some flaws.  Eskimo ran through most of them, but he left this one out.

If you establish a high death penalty in the game you must come up with something that gives the player a real reason to fight now rather than once they are in a hugely favorable position.  Without a real reason to engage, fights will be timid and far between.  There is no real reason to defend a base.  There is no real loyalty to a country or concern that it will lose.

What this will do is play into the "Speed is king" method of combat, and it will increase the imbalance against the side that hasn't got it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2003, 11:59:19 PM »
We'll never know unless we try. If it doesn't work then just pull the plug.

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2003, 07:51:40 AM »
This is an absolutely MUST try.

Eskimo, you have some interesting points.  I'll try to respond tonight when I get home.  I REALLY hope we do this.