Author Topic: <S> HTC, Hitech, Skuzzy et al  (Read 1791 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
<S> HTC, Hitech, Skuzzy et al
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2003, 08:53:55 AM »
Thanks Beet1e.

HiTech

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2003, 09:00:59 AM »
slackers (all of you) who have such time to read that wall of text during office hours !

bettle, any chance for you going on reader's digest one of these days. Can't comment on the content yet, I might have the time to read all that on my next vacation :)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline maxtor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2003, 09:06:44 AM »
“Waaaaaah, my tank blew up when I ran over a shrub”

Offline TheflyingElk

• Copper Member
Promotion?
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2003, 09:20:15 AM »
I think Beet1e should be considered for Good conduct medal, ;)
Good post sir, thanks for taking the time to type it all.
You dragged the dead horse into the yard and handed out the bats, sir.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2003, 09:28:02 AM »
Thanks Beetle, not only have I come to grips with my own phanboi nature,  but I think I'm going to convert to Scottish Presbyterianism.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2003, 09:29:27 AM »
Wow...

What exactly was wrong with my post in this thread to warrent it's deletion?

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2003, 09:32:35 AM »
Hail Beetle! Well said indeed!

And THANK YOU HTC!

Give me the pom poms & call me a cheerleader!

Offline DrDea/Kvorkian

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2003, 10:01:00 AM »
First and foremost.This really is anh outstanding game.From the price cut,unheard of in online history,to the free multiplayer yuou really have to admire the HT existance.Where else do you see the owners/programers online not only playing but looking for problems? Not being any sort of a programmer I have no idea of whats involved in creating a game such as this.It must be a serious chore tho. The boards lately have seemed like a repetive droneing of the exact same things.The same issue over and over.diffrent people,same subject.From lag,inherant to a game of this size at times,to I want a death taken away.
  It would see some are peeved because the post they made wasnt answered personaly.I would rather see the staff fix problems.Not surf the boards looking for complaignts.Others just dont get it.HT is aware of the problems.Leave it at that.They have impressed the toejam out of me with there fixing whats wrong in the past and I assume that hasnt changed.Even tho I dropped my account last month I still look at Aces High as "wow.Look at the big white square,whats that insignigant black thing in the middle?"  Its been fixed before,It will be fixed again.  I DO fear that the bonus money thing will create a bigger flock of score potatos tho :confused:    who will hang out a squadie before taking a chance of not landing there precious perk points.  I just picture scrooge McDuck sitting in a pile of perk saying "Oh precious perks.Oh glorious perks."  Great game HT

Offline BD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2003, 10:16:01 AM »
Hear, Hear, Beetle!

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2003, 10:18:20 AM »
LOL Dowding!

Now, at first I thought someone had stolen Beetle's account, but then I noticed it's length and realized it is Beetle and then I also realized I concur with his post and thought it a good commentary!

I'm now going to re-stock my supplies in the bomb shelter as the end is surely near! :eek:

Cobra

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2003, 10:28:17 AM »
Bravo -- it's all about perspective.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2003, 10:45:47 AM »
wise words Beet1e!

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2003, 11:04:10 AM »
Being a programmer myself, I am fully aware of the amount of effort required to put together a complete software package.  It requires many man hours of research, design and code.  Once completed, implementing changes also requires the same kind of effort.  Rarely, if ever, is a change as simple as flipping a parameter value, or re-writing a single line of code.  Almost always, changes are required to many objects, thus impacting the entire codebase.  These changes must then be tested in order to see how they co-exist with the current code.  Repeat this process until such time that you feel your product is ready for release.

It is at this point of release that the cacophony of voices from the customer base is heard.  Occasionally one voice stands out above the others and notices the white paper instead of the dot.  However, most voices are exactly what beet1e describes.  "Howcome I died?" and "Why did my plane blow up for no reason?" and "That shrub caused my tank to flip over and explode!" ad nauseum.  

What these voices do address, however, are the results of the myriad of tests performed by the customer base.  The team at HTC cannot possibly perform every single test in every single situation.  They don't have the manpower to do so.  By having these concerns addressed by the customer base, especially multiple times, and in multiple ways, the staff at HTC can say, "Perhaps we should re-evaluate the object collision code for ground vehicles to see if something can be done."

Again the cycle of researching, designing, coding and testing repeats.  Things will not always work out as planned along the way.  A seeminly simple change may produce widespread effects that could not be forseen.  It is a good company that takes advantage of these mistakes, and makes it a point to correct them.  HTC is one such company.  They analyze the needs of the customers, and make the decision to implement the most pertinent of the changes.

Imagine how many of us would still be here if HTC ignored our requests.  Imagine how many would care about Aces High, if it were evident that the staff that produced the game did not.  We are a lucky group.  We are able to play the most complete massive multiplayer World War II vehicular combat simulation available.  We have a great community of people, who are exceptionally knowledgable.  In short, how many guys and girls would any of you have met, and been enriched by, were it not for this game?

HTC to a job exceptionally done.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2003, 11:08:24 AM »
Nice job Beetle.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2003, 11:21:36 AM »
anti-whiner whiner  :p
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.