Author Topic: Dweeb Ride Timeline!  (Read 1141 times)

Offline spiegel

• Copper Member
Dweeb Ride Timeline!
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2003, 02:13:28 PM »
I'd rahter die fighting, and give my opponent something to remember other than a long, boring chase.

HELL YAH:D

Offline maxtor

• Nickel Member
Dweeb Ride Timeline!
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2003, 02:21:13 PM »
I try to fly everything a little bit, one tour I even flew a lot of hurricane D because it was fun to shoot that 40mm.   The Tempest is by far the best plane in the game, I should fly it more but I get bored easy and need variety to keep things fun for me.

Offline TWOLF

• Copper Member
I miss my Vader
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2003, 02:48:23 PM »
Well,  I started in AW when there were only 8 birds to choose from.  My first up I flew an ME109 and was immediatly Vulched by FRENCHY!!.  (shakes fist at Frenchy!)  He was driving an A26 with at least one gunner.  I was the A-typical Newb and added about ten kills to his flight.  I just knew I could get in the air and get a shot at him.  NOT!  
  My CPID was McBr then, and I am sure that it graced many a pilots kill board in my first few weeks in AW.  The Ammo load in the 109 in AW was weak so I started flying P38's.  This was before I learned how to use flaps and my J-stick was a simple 2 button cheapo with no rudders.  It was a humbling experience to say the least.  I liked the P38 so I stuck with it.  One day Juce, or something like that explained that I had to have rudders and use flaps in order to fly a P38 and that opened a whole new world.   I went to my local Computer (no best buy back then)store and bought peddles, a throttle and a Brand New Thrustmaster.  I learned, and mastered the 38, A26 (oversized 38 in AW) FW, and Hellcat in that order.  I would fly Jugs and P51's on occasion as well.  Dick Bong, and Erik Hartman's stories inspired my flight choices although the 109 was Hartman's favorite bird, he did fly  FW190's on occasion.  He said in an interveiw once that he liked the landing gear, speed, and roll rate but he thought that the 190 was ruined by all the firepower and prefered the handling of the 109.  So

109F
190A8, D9
P38J
A26 Invader
F6F-4  in AW

Here, 190A8, D9, P47, P51, and P38....(sniff!)  I miss my vader!

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Re: I miss my Vader
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2003, 02:55:30 PM »
Originally posted by TWOLF
...A26 Invader...(sniff!)  I miss my vader!

Ah, yes! The 'Vader...now THERE was a sweet ride! Bring th Vader to AH!!:D

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Dweeb Ride Timeline!
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2003, 03:31:33 PM »
Hmm timeline.. I fly everything.. Depending on the mood.

But i started with an La7 for 3 tours when i was a newb then switched to P-51.

From the point i got familiar with the P-51D i had started flying Spits,  a few Navy planes,  P38,  P47(D11),  Zeke, and even a few LW rides :)

...A26 Invader...(sniff!) I miss my vader!

Stupid Invader pilots...  I could never kill them in AW with my spit! :D

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
Dweeb Ride Timeline!
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2003, 03:41:16 PM »
p51
spitV
spitIX
109g10
p51
tiffie
p51
p38----262 weeeeeee

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
Dweeb Ride Timeline!
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2003, 03:42:59 PM »
I flew spits and 190's in WB back in the day 2.0 or so (with p-38's and 47's for ground pounding).

Then I moved to F6F

Came to AH started with

La-7
F4u-1D
F6F
P-51
F6F
FM2

Looking to try a new ride have been trying out the yak and c205. I am very confident in the blue planes but looking for something new.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Dweeb Ride Timeline!
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2003, 04:03:14 PM »
I was a buffer when I first started AH, but not full time.  Joined the Mad Bombers lead by Sunchaser.  I still remember my first squad HQ run.  Shoot, I didn't know crap about crap when I first began... only a few models stuck out in my mind.

Lets see....

Tour 3 - B17s and B26 big time, some chog, spit 5, and panzer.  (even two kills in a goon, hehe)
Tour 4 - 109 and chog
Tour 5 - B17 and chog.
Tour 7 - Spit 9 and 109g10.  
Tour 11 - P47 and chog.
Tour 15 - La7, 109, chog.
Tour 18 - c205, Typhoon, La7, 109
Tour 21 - Yak, chog.
Tour 23 - c205, c202, 109, 190.
Tour 25 - 190, P51B, dhog.
Tour 29 - (awesome tour) Hurricane Mk1, IIc, and 109e4.  
Tour 35 - FM2, P40, P47
Present - P47 all models, P51B/D, P40, and anything else.

Looking back, I never realized I flew chog so much.  I still sucked half the time, but hey, its been fun so far :)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Dweeb Ride Timeline!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2003, 04:22:09 PM »
I remember my first flight in AH, I think it was Beta3. I dove from 20K in a P38 to attack a 10K Buff. Must have been a funny sight cause I missed completely and lawndarted. Then the 'vet' got on Ch1 and let everyone know that "that P38 that dove from 20K and augered was a stupid dweeb"......and I thought to myself, "Welcome to AcesHigh".

I tried the Pony my next flight and after getting it up to 22K I saw a B17 at 30K and decided to attack. I climbed and climbed then the B17 turned...I tried and stalled. Spinning down from 28K trying to pull out of it when at 13K my engine quit. I finaly regained control at 10K, spoted an airfield close by and deadsticked to a safe landing on the runway...after a 20k fall from the sky I felt lucky and proud of myself for making it back to earth safely.

Switched to the 109G series < my ride of choice in AW's Fightertown > but I found that AH's MA, even then, wasn't anything like Fightertown and that having  a wingman was a must until I got my SA leggs back.

I tried the Spits but a pure TnB plane wasn't for me.

I tried the FW's but they seemed way too twitchy for someone hamfisted I gave it up after a week or so.

Went back to the 109G-10 and tried my hand at buff killing and failed miserably.

Then along came the La7, I flew it for almost 5 months straight and eventualy got bored with it. It was too easy for a n00b like me to get multiple kill sorties of 6 or more damn near every flight.

Then came the F6F-5...I was amazed at how much better the ballistics of the .50 cal were compaired to the La7's cannons and the multiple role capabilitiesof the Hellcat kept me in it until a few weeks ago.

Now I'm in a Typhoon as my main ride but will be checking out the 190's again sometime soon since I have more control of my right hand......in AH that is ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2003, 04:25:45 PM by MrLars »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Dweeb Ride Timeline!
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2003, 04:30:24 PM »
Spitfires: Got sick of the whining, put it down.
Bf109G-10: Certain people said it was vastly harder than Spits.  It wasn't.
Fw190D-9: Very capable, easy to survive but a bit harder to get kills.
Typhoon Mk Ib:  Good fighter, but it rolls like crap.
Spitfire Mk Vb: Too slow.
Mosquito Mk VI: Very leathal firepower, good attack capability but hard to survive in.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BlckMgk

• Nickel Member
Dweeb Ride Timeline!
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2003, 09:26:41 PM »
Pretty cool list so far.. hope we could snag some more vets in this thread, maybe the subject is scaring them off.

-BlckMgk

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
Dweeb Ride Timeline!
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2003, 09:36:54 PM »
F4U-1C - With my dad, learned nothing except BFM
F6F-5 - As soon as it came out, learned E management and ACM
P47 - Learn more ACM and more E management
F6F-5 - Got mostly everything down

Now I fly a lot of different planes

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Dweeb Ride Timeline!
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2003, 09:43:17 PM »
Originally posted by BlckMgk
Pretty cool list so far.. hope we could snag some more vets in this thread, maybe the subject is scaring them off.
-BlckMgk

they're afraid to admit to their dweeb days,  :D

spit9 - to learn the fm. and they're fun.
all - just to see what they could do.
yak9u - because it's a spit9 without the stigma attached.
51d - got tired of not catching stuff in a spit/yak. i tnb in one too.
la7 - because i got tired of not catching stuff in a pony. i tnb in this one, too.

i've flown all planes enough to know their relative strengths and weaknesses. the 38 is the one plane i haven't yet bit the bullet on and died enough in to learn its quirks. the 109's are nice rides, but the gunnery... whoooo... maybe when i get a better system i'll fly 'em more.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Franco

• Copper Member
      • http://www.yabstudio.com
Dweeb Ride Timeline!
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2003, 10:14:43 PM »
Spit IX
La7
p51
F4u-D, C- hog
P38 - i just love this ride :D

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Dweeb Ride Timeline!
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2003, 10:59:21 PM »
1. P-51D
2. F6F-5

Mustang has been a lifelong favorite of mine but after talking to Mathman too much I started flying the hellcat.  

There was month or so where I was flying LW rides too (mostly the 109F-4 and 190A5 but those were dark, dark months, to this day any thoughts of sheep, leather or StSanta brings an involuntary shiver down my spine.) but I don't like to think about those. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.