Author Topic: AH review at Games Domain....  (Read 991 times)

TheWobble

AH review at Games Domain....
« on: January 13, 2001, 02:11:00 AM »
 http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/reviews/pc/may00/ahso.html

THE GOOD

Flight model - Excellent.  Few sims force a player to interact with their aircraft with as much respect and awareness of its performance limitations as Aces High. Each aircraft must be mastered individually, and its strengths and weaknesses must be understood in relation to each of the other planes' capabilities in order to have any success in combat.  It will make a WW II scholar of you in short order.

Visuals - Everything is crisp, clean, and easily discernable from a distance. Successful dogfighting is aided by being able to quickly and easily observe the actions of your opponents, and the graphics allow this at very high resolutions with little performance loss.

Stability - The game has never crashed a single time on either of my systems.  Similarly, the actual network coding appears to be very efficient as evidenced by a distinct lack of "warping" and lag effects in the game.

Community - The price point of $29 monthly appears to be just right.  The game avoids punishing pay-by-the-hour subscribers for their enjoyment of the sim, and the slightly higher than average price ensures that only mature individuals with a genuine interest and dedication to the simulation are present.  Everyone appears to be equally helpful and knowledgeable, and even a quick read of the Hi-Tech Creations message forums can be quite an educational experience for the WW II aviation enthusiast.

Free 8-player head-2-head play - Also new in 1.02 is the ability to host an 8-player game for free.  This is also useful for squad training and grudge settling, away from the main arena.

THE BAD

Too much detail?  The flight model is indeed superbly effective at inducing a sense of realism, but it may be just a touch too much for some players.  The constant need to trim the aircraft -- and I mean constant -- can become annoying, especially if you aren't lucky enough to have a programmable joystick to assign this function to a hat switch.  I do, but it still bugs me.  However, I can easily forgive this, owing to the realistic feel it adds to the already great flight model.  At least the workload is the same for all participants.

Super tough opponents - That community of helpful and knowledgeable folks that we love so much will blow you away in a split second if you fumble the dogfight even the slightest bit.  They are tough and I can see some less hardcore or skilled players potentially getting frustrated at having their wings clipped off constantly.

Spoiled - I'm ruined for enjoying other flight sims. I keep trying to play EAW and WW2 Fighters, but find myself going back to Aces High because they just don't provide the same thrill anymore.  Darn.

The game is free for a two-week trial.  If you have any interest at all in flying an online WW II sim -- and you wouldn't have read this far if not -- then go try it out.  There's nothing to lose, except potentially becoming completely addicted to the thing,  and at 7Mb, the download itself is relatively painless.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2001, 05:18:00 AM »
Always liked Games Domain.  They know a good game when they see it  
ingame: Raz

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2001, 08:25:00 AM »

Originally posted by TheWobble:

Spoiled - I'm ruined for enjoying other flight sims. I keep trying to play EAW and WW2 Fighters, but find myself going back to Aces High because they just don't provide the same thrill anymore.  Darn.

Ditto  

BTW on the tough oponents part...really I can love or hate a lot of things in this game but if there is a single thing in this game I still love is that 70% of the fights are guaranteed a very high quality flying from both sides  

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »
Hmmm in combat trim I don't have to trim all the time. What does he mean?

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2001, 08:59:00 AM »
"Too much detail?  The flight model is indeed superbly effective at inducing a sense of realism, but it may be just a touch too much for some players.  "

HTC could make AH like Crimson Skies and there would be folks who find it still too difficult.

Let Darwin do his thing. If somone wants an easier and more unrealistic air action there is AW and FA.  Please, NO MORE DUMBING DOWN of AH. There's already combat trim, padlock, easy mode take offs....

-Westy

Offline llbm_MOL

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2001, 09:01:00 AM »
Jimdandy, a word of advice. Turn CT off. If you fight someone that has it turned off in the same exact plane same fuel like in a dual you WILL lose. I found this out the hardway in a dual with Citibria.

LLB OUT!!!!!!!

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2001, 09:42:00 AM »

Originally posted by llbm_MOL:
Jimdandy, a word of advice. Turn CT off. If you fight someone that has it turned off in the same exact plane same fuel like in a dual you WILL lose. I found this out the hardway in a dual with Citibria.

LLB OUT!!!!!!!
cc thx. BTW why is that? does it give you more control when you turn it off?

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2001, 09:51:00 AM »
 JimDandy, combat trim helps keep the plane in trim. Kind of an "easy mode" trim feature for newer folks. A 'pilot' who trims manually can get better flight prefomance out oh his craft than one who does not trim, other than via combat trim.

-Westy

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »
I think folks overestimate the advantage you get by turning CT on /off.
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"