Author Topic: Maps in general...  (Read 315 times)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Maps in general...
« on: January 24, 2003, 11:24:26 AM »
The one thing that is missing from every map I've seen are truely random terrains. Either terrains are generally all flat or all hills. And on top of that the hills are less than realistic in appearance.

What we need are maps with a good mix of 15,000+ ft mountain ranges and flat/hilly terrain. Land shapes could be the same, but as in real life a generally random terrain would be on each land mass. That and land masses really don't need to be identical. In my opinion, the number of bases being identical is what's important.

I do have a map such as this, no bases have been assigned (other for inspection flights) since I really don't think my ideas will be accepted very well...

Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
Maps in general...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 01:13:12 PM »
looks good
Freeze

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Maps in general...
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 01:21:11 PM »
What we need are maps with a good mix of 15,000+ ft mountain ranges and flat/hilly terrain. Land shapes could be the same, but as in real life a generally random terrain would be on each land mass. That and land masses really don't need to be identical. In my opinion, the number of bases being identical is what's important .

I would agree with some of this but, remember that LAND plays apart if using Ground Vehicles, or Landing Crafts to capture a Field, not so much for Troop Transport Planes.

Even the Hills or Mountains surrounding the Field can play an important part for those Planes trying to take out the Ground Guns.

Getting this balanced out for all 3 Countries so one Country doesn't feel like they are at a disadvantage over the other 2 is the tricky part.

So if you made Fields that ( not expected to be captured with Ground Vehicles ) have similar land mass around it, say 2 mile circumference ( or more ) then the shape of the land mass wouldn't matter that much IMHO.

Pokie

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Maps in general...
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2003, 02:15:51 PM »
Actually dividing this terrain is pretty simple.

The gray areas would be used for the needed carrier map rooms or could be used for a small amount of fields for each side and still have enough dead space for the map rooms.

There are plenty of areas open for GV ops and they are fairly equal in size. The only difference is there is no point on this terrain that is identical to another. They may be similar, but nothing is exactly the same other than shapes. Setting up bases in similar terrains would be easy, but again they wouldn't be exactly the same. You'd have to fly it to see what I mean. ;)

Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Maps in general...
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2003, 02:22:46 PM »
LOL!!

I didn't see it until I posted the picture.....

Get rid of the big gray island in upper right and cut off the two lower 1/2 islands and it's perfectly balance. :D