Author Topic: TOD Bomber operations questions  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
TOD Bomber operations questions
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2003, 05:36:12 AM »
Originally posted by ViFF
I think enforcing a harsh time limit is incorect. I'm not saying a tod should be longer then 2 hrs (even though i wish it was). I believe the CM's should be more flexible on the issue, i.e.  letting an attack conclude itself, and not close  the logs until the last pilots who are rtb land
I do try to be flexible, but where do we draw the line - how much extra time do you think we should allow?  If I know someone is doing their best to RTB, I will leave the logs open until they have landed and returned to the tower.... but if someone insists on continuing their fight before even trying to RTB, then the frame could go on for another hour!  While that would no doubt be fine for you, it is not very fair to a CM who is doing this in their own time, and has already spent the better part of three hours working on the event (up to an hour on setup, and two hours of the event itself).  I do give regular time-checks, more frequently near the end of the frame, to allow everyone time to cease hostilities and RTB safely....  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline ViFF

• Copper Member
      • http://www.101squadron.com/
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2003, 07:16:40 AM »
I have never been a CM, but I have been a trainer in Warbirds, so I am familiar with the extra time sacrifices these positions sometime call for.

Personally I think the CM team is doing a great job, and I appreciate very much all the work and volunteering initiatives that go into the events .. I know much of it takes place even before they start.

On the first frame of operation mercury my squad was rtb, about 2 minutes out from landing, when suddenly the fuel modifier was changed to the highest burn rate and most had to ditch just short of landing safely.

While I agree it was amusing to watch,  I would rather have all land safely. This goes hand in hand with the mentality we preach to our squaddies when attending these events: disciplined flying and the importance of surviving to return alive.

I can garauntee my squad's adherence to orders, if called to rtb, we will rtb. Bottom line is that I'd really like to see CM's being more flexible with us.. if you see we are already rtb... please let us land. I can vouch for my squad that nobody will abuse this.

Kindly,

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2003, 07:25:52 AM »
On the first frame of operation mercury my squad was rtb, about 2 minutes out from landing, when suddenly the fuel modifier was changed to the highest burn rate and most had to ditch just short of landing safely.
I can only apologise for that, which was requested by the Admin CM, Fork, as I think we were given the impression that some players had no intention of RTBing any time soon.  Personally, this is not something I would normally do, and I would rather leave the logs open if I know it is not going to be too long.
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline ViFF

• Copper Member
      • http://www.101squadron.com/
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2003, 07:29:23 AM »
Flossy, you are fast ! :)

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2003, 07:41:11 AM »
Flossy, you are fast ! :)
LOL!  I just like to try and keep on top of discussions like this, if possible.  I was busy cooking my lunch and looking in here in between times.  :)  
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline AndyH

• Copper Member
      • http://www.ahope.myby.co.uk/wod/
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2003, 12:52:56 PM »
I disagree about being flexible with times. When you are the CO you plan the event for the 2 hours, you need to get your planes back to base before the time limit.

If we are too flexible then some people will push it, you will get one CO asking his force to RTB 15 minutes before the end, but the other may take advantage of this and push to attack an undefended target in these last 15 minutes. I have seen this happen, although not recently.

The side CO should plan to have all operations completes and his forces back on the ground by the 2 hour limit.

However if you want to make the frame 2 hours + 15minutes RTB time (where no hostilities are allowed) then thats OK.

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2003, 01:00:11 PM »
When I say flexible, I mean no more than about 5 minutes if players are very close to landing.   On most occasions the frames either end on time, or even early.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Stegahorse

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2003, 05:23:44 PM »
Running out of fuel on a RTB might be a motivator , ya think?:D
If it is obvious that people are RTBing then please do allow the time.
Otherwise , SUCK THE GAS OUT OF THEM!!!!;)
I thought I was important until I got Cancer and had to go to a cancer clinic.

Offline Machine

• Copper Member
TOD
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2003, 06:27:10 PM »
Just getting the squad into a frame would be nice.  How long do you have to wait before your squad can fly in TOD?

Machine

357th Bomber Group
http://www.357thbombergroup.com

:cool:

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2003, 08:19:50 AM »
March 7th is when the TOD's will start up again.

I contacted Ghostdancer who is head of the TOD's. He is going to contact all the squads who have signed up for Friday and Sunday and get them active come March. :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2003, 08:26:37 AM »
and to answer grayarea's questions from a player perspective...
1 Would you fly a TOD frame where night fighters and bombers were only available (no sigle seat fighters)?

2 Would you fly a TOD frame where it was full night time?

3 Is an accurate plane set more important than playability of the frame?

4 What aspect of TOD do you like the least (content not format

1. Yes I would, but 3 frames might be a lot.
2. Yes I would. :)
3. Yes, plane set that is accurate which as funked said can be balanced by numbers.
4. I suppose base capture.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2003, 08:29:22 AM by daddog »
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Machine

• Copper Member
Re: TOD Bomber operations questions
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2003, 02:47:48 PM »
Originally posted by Grayarea
Hi all,

The next Sunday TOD has brough up some interesting debate. Please reply to this thread answering the following questions.

1 Would you fly a TOD frame where night fighters and bombers were only available (no sigle seat fighters)?

We are a bomber squad, so not a problem!

2 Would you fly a TOD frame where it was full night time?

3 Is an accurate plane set more important than playability of the frame?

4 What aspect of TOD do you like the least (content not format)?

1. Not a problem, since we are a bomber squad.

2. Still not a problem!

3. Yes

4. lag   :D