Author Topic: OK Intel gurus give me the run down here.  (Read 1861 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
OK Intel gurus give me the run down here.
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2003, 04:05:57 PM »
The tool is already there.  Its called your internet connection.  There still is not a way to get into a disconnected PC.

And... you may want to re-read that article and see what was said about spying.  Please... cause you're going in a totally different direction right now.

AKDejaVu

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2003, 04:52:55 PM »
This whole concept goes way beyond that article.

You're right about that net conn thing. However it's necessary to connect to the internet so we end up with that two machine configuration again. No big deal just $1k extra expense.

It's not a question about how to go around the problem, it's the whole principle of putting this stuff in the computers in the first place just because some corporation is paying off and lobbying congressmen in order to ensure thier profit.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2003, 05:16:35 PM »
Nobody wants congress involved:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030123/tech_piracy_1.html

MiniD

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2003, 07:24:27 AM »
The whole "OS locked to a valid computer" and "locking apps to a registered CPU" thing MAY sound great, if your one of the computer law and order types.  

But how many of you have actually worked on computers where this is done???

Basically this is how many high end UNIX workstations already works.  And is SUCKS !!

At my job, we have a Silicon Graphics workstation (SGI), an Octane.  And I don't give a crap about copying illegal programs or such things.  I just want it (ie software that we validly own) to work when they're suppose too.  I can't even begin to describe how many times our "licenses" all of a sudden dont' work, and we have to spend hours and hours on the phone trying to get new ones.  And of course nobody can explain why all of a sudden they fail.  

Oh, and its no suprise that we have to pay thousands of dollars each year for "support" contracts so that they can give me new licenses when the old ones fail.

Its no suprise that individuals and corporations are moving away from extremely overpriced high end workstations, to much simpler and easier to operate linux based PC clusters.

So now they want to do this to PC's as well? em

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2003, 08:02:09 AM »
From workstations to linux clusters?  Maybe some... but LINUX will always have the curse of minimal support.  Most buisnesses don't like that.

I think you'll see a greater move towards wireless in the near future.  There are just too many upsides.  Of course, there's one major fricking downside (security), but that seems to be what's being adressed.

MiniD

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2003, 10:43:40 AM »
You can hire one full-time linux geek to maintain the cluster for the price of the support :)

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2003, 10:59:51 AM »
Never before has there been a medium for corporations or governments to access your everyday routines without you knowing or most important without our consent. Never before have they been able to manipulate your files, papers whatever without you knowing (well unless agents actually came to your house, broke in and did it..) or without your consent.

ok Orwell,
just disconnect from the internet (then your data is 'safe')
or keep printed documents (same as always)

never make available to others what you want to keep private.
You KNOW what you're getting with global connections (internet)... the possiblity that someone will have access to your 'stuff'.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2003, 11:52:21 AM »
Originally posted by mrsid2
You can hire one full-time linux geek to maintain the cluster for the price of the support :)
yea... right.  Then he quits and you're screwed.

Oh well.. simple solutions for those that think they'll never have problems.

MiniD

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2003, 12:33:57 PM »
Wlfgng you dont seem to get the real picture..

This stuff enables them to quietly censor whatever they like from your computer. See no evil hear no evil..