Author Topic: Map Critique (we knew it was coming)  (Read 893 times)

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Map Critique (we knew it was coming)
« on: February 06, 2003, 11:48:10 AM »
Overall great map

Things of interest.

Current radar range allows for bomber pilots to plan out mission that can for the most part remain undectected. There is gaps in the radar ranging from small to large and can easily to avoided by proper planning.

I dont know if the current radar range will remain. The reason I say this is along the front and inparticular in the center the airfields are spaced further apart and beyond current radar range. In the center there is a series of vbases that are un covered by radar. The Front is medium sized (inbetween ndisle and pizza)

Theres plenty of blue water.

Things that are So/so. The mountain ranges look good but some peaks were up there. I like the look but other then that no biggie either way. Airfield alts are reasonable. I think I saw one at 6.5k.

The tiles and textures are very pleasing to the eye. Not the bright green and blues of ndisle or mindinao. They look really good.

Some possible cons

The center area no radar coverage and airfields at a further distance then the other maps, its just in this area. Personally I have np with that and like it. Some of the "quick yo get to the furball" guys may be put off by it. But the bases near the edges of the front make up for.

My current impression is that its a playable map and should be a lot of fun.

S!

to the map makers.

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 01:22:47 PM »
Agree,I like the map a lot,though the hills ARE a bit on the high side lol
Joc

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Re: Map Critique (we knew it was coming)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2003, 01:37:30 PM »
Originally posted by Batz
Current radar range allows for bomber pilots to plan out mission that can for the most part remain undectected. There is gaps in the radar ranging from small to large and can easily to avoided by proper planning.

Does this mean fields are further apart now? WTG!!

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 01:57:48 PM »
If the dar bar stretches 25 miles, you know something is there.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Map Critique (we knew it was coming)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 01:59:01 PM »
Originally posted by ccvi
Does this mean fields are further apart now? WTG!!

Yep..Wait till Lazs finds out...:eek:
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2003, 05:39:53 PM »
I would think having a few more higher bases would make launching bomber raids much more likely.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2003, 04:11:46 AM »
those center mountain ridges go up to 25k :eek:

isn't that a little too much? (Everest scale...)

this encourages just 2 furball on the coast bases before inland bases are captured.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline mijoieau

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2003, 04:22:20 AM »
i feel like more whining this map is to big to boring,looks good but game play will suffer,maybe if your online in usa times with 500 people on it would be good but playing in aus etc parts of the world after a hard days work i want to kill stuff and most nights i am on there 100 pople on if that, :[ which makes this map an utter bore , no action u fly for 10 -15 min to find a base deack it and noones home :[ then reup to find a furball if thats possible and by the time youer there its gone ,this map promotes furballing ude to why bother tring to take fields ,try getting a c47 over 10 k + mountians ,its no fun ,so thers less need to play aces if this is going to be a map that ever resets with in a week. again if i could be on in prime time maybe theres some fun in it,but some of us arent , to the makers for the nice looks but the gameplay suffers, to anyone stupied enough to try getting a c47 over the hill ,which makes this map only worth playing on the coasts, i whould whine some more but ,give it 2 weeks or less and i wont have to ,most others will do the hard work of whining for me.

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2003, 04:49:05 AM »
Although mijoieau could do with some use of the enter key I mostly agree with him.

I live in Europe and the Trinity map is too big for the few people who are on-line when I am too. Same goes for Pizza, but at least I can find some action there, most of the time.

I shamelessly admit that I'm one of those 'quick to the furball' guys and that isn't likely to happen in this map either, only with a massive raid on some field. Up there too late and you only get vulched. And the mountains are ridiculously high... I tried to get to a high field with a goon but it was barely able to get over the humps.

I quote Mr Horse:

No sir, I don't like it.

Offline maxtor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2003, 05:34:06 AM »
hitech has no choice but to develop for the bulk of his audience - what sense would there be in doing otherwise?  (ala warbirds).

I do play when there are less than 100 online during the week (5 or 6 AM EST ).  I still have plenty of fun.  I must say I like the new map too.

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2003, 08:10:38 AM »
I don't want to sound too critical, but yesterday I finally could spare some time to play and didn't have as much fun as I usually have.

I still think AH is great for many reasons and that quite a lot of people complain a bit too loudly and demand everything for $15 a month while being unbelievably rude in the process.

Let's call the Trinity map my least favourite map then and the
F4U-1D my least favourite fighter.

By the way, if you read the message 'hogenbor shot you down' this month, I was probably in the aformentioned F4U-1D Why? I didn't like it because it is so demanding, so I figured if I can kill in this thing, I can kill in anything. Yesterday I managed to limp home with half a wing missing (manual trim rocks then) after some idiot HO-ed me in a LA-5. At least he never made it home :D

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2003, 09:28:45 AM »
I noticed first thing.. The map is not only huge (low population density) but they have made the fields even farther apart (late war plane friendly)..

I didn't know that we had a shortage of late war plane useage in the MA but if we did.... This map cured it... I seen nothing but La7's, D9's, P51's a few tyfies and p47's   The spits that showed up after the long flight to a field were pounced on and slaughtered... The late war planes (even seen some spit14 and 262's) did nothing but B&Z a capped field...

This is a late war gangbang map so far as AC go.   Even worse than Pizza for AC variety and fights....

The only good thing was finding a good carrier fitght that lasted for a couple hours... I have no idea why someone didn't spoil it.

I would like us furballers to get thrown a bone... maybe double the amount of CV"s?   or .... harden em even more?
lazs

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2003, 10:54:33 AM »
It's hard to put the blame on HTC. The players' tactics are getting worse and worse, no one tries to make the given map interesting, not the maps getting less interesting.
Players are too lazy to make an interesting fight, they will see the big outdoors and large numbers, and intead of forming up in flights and having some sense of fairplay and originality or equal competition within the furball areas, you will see the vulching, the porking of good furball base fields, the taking of strategically worthless fields; like vbases almost dedicated to center GV town, they will just take the best performing plane as a safety net, that's all fun, but it makes impossible for one guy to affect anything = teeming masses' mindless lemming take "the throne".
It's easy to say the missions are never fun, they're too repetitive, never the right plane you want, long waiting time in the tower, no real reward besides perks, too disorganised, etc.
Normally AH2 should force players into "real" WWII combat organisation. MA is just a competition between players, whether it means vulching them or out climbing them to the fighting line or chopping off their legs with this or that strategic plan or dogfighting them to pieces or outranking them or whatever.

A bit like blaming architects their building was too difficult to escape a fire from when the stampede consequent to mass hysteria was the first cause of casualties.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Tuck

• Copper Member
      • http://hometown.aol.com/tuck0006/
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2003, 04:00:17 PM »
only suggestion i have for future maps is to design the airfields just like the ones in the finland terrain.  for those who didn't see them, they're totally believable!  outstanding job on that map as a whole, but the airfield layout/graphics were tops.

like the trinity map/terrain overall...one little, or big...as it were, problem:

the mountains are too damned big!

PERK THE MOUNTAINS!!!!!   :D

The Tuckster
How's My Flying?  Call 1-800-BITEME

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2003, 06:29:17 PM »
Great map....nice change from the "ZA!!"