Author Topic: Horrible FPS despite good system...??  (Read 590 times)

Offline Keez

• Copper Member
Horrible FPS despite good system...??
« on: January 22, 2003, 07:43:48 AM »
Hi all,

I think that my fps in very low if you look at the system I've got, and I havent been able to figure out why this is. Just a minute ago I flew behind a 190 but couldnt hit at hing because framerates dropped as low as 10 fps, with some longer stutters even.

I've got a

PIII 933 mhz
512MEGS RAM
GForce 3 titanium 200

and lots of free discspace. Hell, even IL2 and that monster CFS3 run better on my system while they look a LOT better :). So my question is, does anyone have a clue as to what is wrong? Because altough it is possible to fly with this fps, it's almost just a matter of luck wether I hit something!

Thanks for reading this :).

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 08:53:52 AM »
Nah that's no good. Must be something up. What are your settings. Make sure AAliasing is off. Try 1024 x 768 at 32 or 16bits color see if any help.

Usual stuff. latest drivers.No irq conflicts? Direct X 8.1?

Nothing running in the background?

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2003, 03:48:33 PM »
Try reducing sound acceleration one notch. That can fix sound related stutters (I assume you were shooting cannons..)

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
      • http://mysite.verizon.net/res0v1l1
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2003, 09:00:15 AM »
If you are using a FFB joystick might turn that off as well and see.  I've read some laptops users had to do that to get there frames up.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2003, 09:07:05 AM »
also, how's your connection stability?  an unstable conenction can result in this, altho' i'm leaning toward what the other's have suggested.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Keez

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2003, 01:19:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

I did not fire cannons tough, I was flying a P47 at that time. Plus it also happens when during squadron meetings we fly formations with 21 B17's. Ok that's a lot to handle but should certainly not be too much for my system with a game like AH.

I do have FFB and will try to shut it down (XP wont let me install the usual software for it so I'm not sure where to look for the settings now).

Plus someone mentioned to me "shut off anti-alias" but I cant find it anywhere. He mentioned something about display-settings-etc but my windows is in dutch so altough I'm quite sure I'm looking in the right place, I'm not a 100% sure.

But I will try the things you suggested. Thanks a lot!

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2003, 02:05:12 PM »
sounds like you mite have to reformat your computer,,,,,or find a new hard drive,,or 3d card<~~i know a few people who have had more trouble with geforce 3,,than a geforce 2,,lol,,,and game shuttering and loss of frame rates,,can be your hard drive taking a dive,,,my cousin was having about the same problem,,and thought it was 3d card,,,but it turned out  being a hard drive going under,,even know all the scan disk and defrag said it was still good,,,it wasnt,,,after multiple reformats,,,we gave up,,and got a new hard drive for it,,,,and it fixed everything,,no more shutters or slow frame rates

Offline Keez

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2003, 02:05:29 PM »
I now think the problem is indeed the connection, but I never ever had problems before.

I took some screens of my netstatus. I would like to ask you; do you think the connection could be the problem? Because ofcourse I can not compare my netstatus and fps and their correlation to that of others since I dont know anyone else who plays this :).

This here was a bad moment: 9 fps. As you can see I had a good few seconds before that, the framerate went up to 52 at that time, yet didnt last very long. 6 seconds max, and then the netstatus would stay the way it is in this pic for like 20 seconds again.

As you can see the view isnt a straight forward one... for some reason the game was snapping to this view for a second from time to time, even when my hands were completely off the controls. It would also disengage autopilot by giving my plane a short jolt to the left or the right. Like a squaddie said... My PC is tripping on LSD :).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 02:07:44 PM by Keez »

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2003, 02:08:11 PM »
again that mite be your hard drive taking in the info so slowly that its making your computer slow down<~~i seen people with horrible connections still get great frame rates

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2003, 02:16:02 PM »
You didn't mention which video drivers.  I use 30.82 with my GF3 box.
DJ229
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2003, 02:27:38 PM »
Yes use 30.82 for ti200. Go to d3d properties and set antialiasing to manually disabled. <--- This is important because if it's set to anything else you will see a hit in fps.

You shouldn't get big fps hit at those specs.. weird. Have you disabled other apps running in background? Made sure findfast is turned off? etc.

Offline Keez

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2003, 06:17:56 AM »
Thanks for the replies, people.

I shut down the anti-alias and that seems to have helped. I get acceptable fps again, so it's playable for me again. And that's all that counts! Thanks!

Keez

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2003, 08:14:43 AM »
Another way to increase fps is to turn off anisotropic filtering etc. if you have them on. Fastest option is no texture filtering at all, which gives jagged edged textures but no fps hit. I actually like it that way in AH, it gives the illusion of a sharp image..

On most other games however it makes the textures look horrible.