Author Topic: Gun testing - .50 caliber is not weak  (Read 251 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Gun testing - .50 caliber is not weak
« on: September 10, 2000, 02:54:00 PM »
I made some test shooting at field 1 in off-line mode and tested following guns: MG151/20 (20mm), MG131 (13mm), .50 caliber M2, Hispano (20mm) and 20mm M2.

Ranges: 70 yds (error marginal: 7 yards), 220 yards (error marginal 15 yards), 480 yards (error marginal 35 yards)

I tested shooting on wing and tail few times.
----------------
70 yds:

Hispano / 20mm M2 took part every 1-2 hits (mostly critical / M2 maybe slightly less powerful)

MG151/20 took about 2-5 hits to get one part off, and to blow up the plane, I had to hit over 10 times, compared to Hispanos and M2s 2-10 hits to blow up a plane.

.50 M2 was about same with MG151/20, once got kill with 2 hits only, but otherwise parts flew after 3 hits and blowing up the plane was easier than with MG151/20, but Hispano takes the lead.

MG131 were 2-2.5 times weaker than .50 M2 (read stats for .50 M2 and divide by 2-2.5)

---------------
220 yds:

Hispano / 20mm M2 were still going for 1-2 hits to get part off, bit more often needed 3 hits compared to 70 yds, but critical hits were almost all the time.

.50 M2 got also one 2 hit kill from this range, but more often was seen 3-6 hits per piece and blowing up the plane was not uncommon.

MG151 were about same as .50 M2 from this range, but alot rarer times managed to blow up the plane. (even 15-25 hits needed until blew up.. yeah, you heard me, about 25 hits once)

MG131 was again same as .50 M2 if you divide its stats by 2-2.5.

-----------------
480 yds:

Hispano and 20mm M2 got weaker by now, 2-6 hits needed to get some part off.
damage to tail was almost every time horizontal stabilizer.

MG151/20 were like .50 M2 from this range, with lower velocity, but blowing up the plane was alot harder.

.50 M2 did not get downgraded as bad as Hispano / 20mm M2, 3-7 hits needed to get part off, blowing up the plane was easy.

MG131 got little drop compared to .50 M2, now you can go ahead and divide it by 2.5 from the .50 stats.
-----------------

What do we learn from this?
If you wan't to have easy critical damages, you'll choose Hispano or 20mm M2 armed planes.

If you prefer more to blow them up easier (of course damages will come, but they might also blow up with less trouble), you'll choose plane with .50 M2.

If you feel like great shot, you'll go and choose plane with MG151/20 or MG131 (which both you'll probably get anyway)

Hispano and M2s are for spraying more.
though, with .50 caliber you'll need bit more marksmanship than with Hispano and less effect from longer ranges.

.50 caliber does not lose much for Hispano, when it has high rate of fire.
MG151/20 is more of .50 caliber (slightly better per hit) with low velocity and low rate of fire.

MG131, don't go shoot beyond 300 yards if you don't feel good.

You might not believe me, I know these "luftwaffes whine" and "allies agrees" thing, so, go ahead and do what I did, about 20 times with each gun.

Ps. If you think that .50 caliber is weaker than it should be, then MG151/20 is also weaker than it should be.

[This message has been edited by Fishu (edited 09-10-2000).]

Offline BigJim

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2000, 03:22:00 PM »
thats nice Fishu but it doesn't mean anything the gun models are different ON-LINE

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2000, 03:31:00 PM »
.50's are simply DEVESTATING in this game.  

The P-47 can literally shred an opponent at Convergence and still lay in hard at 2x convergence.  

At convergence any M2 armed plane is a nightmare.  With the 20mm, you only have to get a hit 1-2 times.  With the .50's, if you score a hit, you're not just hitting with one or two shells, you're hitting with 10-20, and that my friend will royally f*ck you up.

------------------
-Rebel
JG2 "Richtofen"
"You Rebel Scum"
"You rebel scum"

funked

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2000, 04:29:00 PM »
What were you shooting at?

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2000, 06:23:00 PM »
Fishu, test the UBS and ShVAK too plz.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2000, 05:00:00 AM »

Originally posted by BigJim:
thats nice Fishu but it doesn't mean anything the gun models are different ON-LINE

That what I know, gun models should be very much same on-line, only damage ratio might change.. generally for every gun, so, doesn't this mean that gun power raises for every gun that 20% if you raise it that much, for example?

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2000, 05:02:00 AM »

Originally posted by juzz:
Fishu, test the UBS and ShVAK too plz.

Sorry, got bored after some hundred dead drones.. and had to leave couple guns out for some other time  

Originally posted by Funked:
What were you shooting at?

Those shiny P-51 drones around fields.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2000, 07:41:00 AM »
Tried ShVAK and UBS just..
not as good testing this time as with other guns though.

UBS we're good for chopping wings, but exploding planes or damaging tail went to between .50 caliber and MG131. (I liked it's wing shredding capability, already in 1.03 I were enjoying to chop P47 etc. planes wings with UBS)

ShVAK wasn't as good for wing chopping compared to UBS (UBS only needed couple more hits to take off the wing)
some 3-4 hits to take wingtip or whole wing, usually whole wing flew off even if hits were to wingtip.
Though, this gun seems to wreck tail parts easier than MG151/20 (let's not talk about Hispano, it shreds everything under 2 hits and 3 as maximum)

Conclusion for ShVAK and UBS: ShVAK is good for shooting fuselage and UBS for shooting wings.

I Have noticed that Hispano/M2 20mm are like twice more powerful than any other cannon, I wonder why.. it wasn't supposed to be HE.
More reason for 'uber Hispano' talking..

Another thing that wondered me was that .50 caliber did very closely equal damage with MG151/20, though, this might be because of AP/HE against P-51s armour (not a word about super Hispano..), but still...?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2000, 07:44:00 AM »
I had a variation of sorties  this week-end where the .50's were simply devastating and some where I felt I had 'rubber bullets' , so I wonder how much of this is  due to the server being extremely busy?

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2000, 12:53:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
I had a variation of sorties  this week-end where the .50's were simply devastating and some where I felt I had 'rubber bullets' , so I wonder how much of this is  due to the server being extremely busy?

When shooting beyond 400-500 yards, dispersion might luckily throw your shots on different parts of the plane over and over, instead of hitting the same spot +2 times to break it.
Within 300 yards this shouldn't be any problem if convergence is set right.

carl

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2000, 05:45:00 PM »
.50's are  sniperguns in this game i'd rather send a bunch of .50 cal metal downrange than 20's , especially now since ditching counts as a kill.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2000, 06:39:00 PM »
 Ive seen some wild claims about how strong the guns are in ah, since the beta. The few films ive seen posted didnt bear this out though. When I have slowed the film down and started counting hit sprites there are more than one or 2 always. And the 1000yrd thing ive never seen, though someone once said they posted one.

I can see where some one might down a plane that was already shot up with a ping or two. But I would sure like to see one of these 1 ping kills on an un touched plane. Please post a film with your claimes of super guns.

Not to put to fine a point on it . Put up or shut up.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2000, 01:41:00 AM »

Originally posted by easymo:
Ive seen some wild claims about how strong the guns are in ah, since the beta. The few films ive seen posted didnt bear this out though. When I have slowed the film down and started counting hit sprites there are more than one or 2 always. And the 1000yrd thing ive never seen, though someone once said they posted one.

I can see where some one might down a plane that was already shot up with a ping or two. But I would sure like to see one of these 1 ping kills on an un touched plane. Please post a film with your claimes of super guns.

Not to put to fine a point on it . Put up or shut up.

I counted in the test my bullet usage though..
One shot, ammo check, one shot, ammo check...