Author Topic: If there was a Vietnam war draft today...  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
If there was a Vietnam war draft today...
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2003, 03:25:14 PM »
Gunthr,

Knowing the Tri-state savages that are down here. Getting yourself kilt by motorcycle is pretty good...

I dont know who would run into you first. The Tri=state trash, old battleaxes, or immagrants who got their first license at age 33...

The Florida 500 is no joke... (I95)

2 cents

DoctorYO

Funny you mention it, Doctor -  I crashed a motorcycle straight into a palm tree down here in the late 80's. Broke my back and half my ribs. But daily driving on I-95 is really tempting fate.  I-95 is the Ho Chi Min Trail ... and if you drive it on a bike long enough you are going to go down. I would'nt do it.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Re: If there was a Vietnam war draft today...
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2003, 03:34:34 PM »
Originally posted by StSanta
Would you volunteer? Let's say the war had been ongoing for three years and details about it were known.

I like to think of myself as an honest person. I'd probably try to get outta it on medical grounds. Or studies. Like my life too much to lose it in a foreign nation fighting a war politicians had screwed up. But if I couldn't get medical/school leave,  I'd accept my fate and go - preferrably as an artillerist, since that tend to be away from the real mens fighting :).

So, be honest. What would you have done/did you do?

1.  I'm too old to enlist.  If they invaded the US I would arm myself though.  WOLVERINES!!!

2.  If I was not too old, there are two cases:

a.  Knowing what I know about Vietnam (30 years hindsight), hell no.  I would have evaded the draft to the best of my abilities.

b.  Knowing what I would have known back then (Evil Commie PAVN attacking friendly innocent ARVN) then I would not have volunteered, but would have served if drafted.

3.  In a really alternate universe where I did not have a bad knee and a birth defect (vision problem), I would have been in the USNA or NROTC at age 18 and would have gone whether I liked it or not.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2003, 03:38:35 PM by funkedup »

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2003, 03:37:13 PM »
Although ineligible,

It would be an honor if our gvmt. recalled me. I'd go in a heartbeat.

But then, I decided to join in '66, my time in the Army was some of the best and worst times in my life and I feel that I'm a much better person today because of it.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2003, 04:58:44 PM »
For that war?
I rather be jailed.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2003, 05:01:27 PM »
I like to think I'd be capable of doing what my dad did. (He was drafted)
-SW

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2003, 05:07:02 PM »
Joined the Air Force in '73 at the tail end of that war. Two months before my turn for a 6 month rotation to Korat Thailand they shut it down. Retired in '95.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2003, 05:14:33 PM »
My brain prevents me from service.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2003, 05:28:31 PM »
In the middle of a career....joined when I was 17 and went to Desert Storm at 18. Got out at 22 and played civilian for 4 years. Came back in at 26, which was 5 years ago. If and when I get out again, I would be first in line if they needed the manpower. No one wants to die, but sometimes someone has to...

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2003, 05:35:20 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding
My brain prevents me from service.

No need to feel bad about it. There must be something you can do with your limited abilities. ;)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2003, 05:40:02 PM »
The draft was legally ended 1 month before my 18th birthday.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2003, 05:59:31 PM »
I was 18 when I joined the infantry in 1983. If I was 18 now I probably would go even with the lame bellybutton excuse that GW is peddling.
But now all grown up...not a hope.
Maybe if they identified the cave osama was in and needed volenteers to dig him out..
But not to invade Iraq. And I pity the MPs that tried to make me.

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2003, 06:15:33 PM »
Without a change in the law, I can't be drafted
<~~umm i thought all ex military could be recalled incass of emergancy,,,i heard about ex military in veitnam being recalled into servis at 40 years of age allmost,,lol after they severd there time allready and got honorable discharge,,,,i thought there was somthing that they could call you back in time of emergancy,,or has this changed?

Offline hardcase2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2003, 06:29:24 PM »
THe cut off age during nam was 26. The army found out that over that age men would question why they had to risk their lives.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2003, 06:31:55 PM »
Originally posted by hyena426
<~~umm i thought all ex military could be recalled incass of emergancy,,,i heard about ex military in veitnam being recalled into servis at 40 years of age allmost,,lol after they severd there time allready and got honorable discharge,,,,i thought there was somthing that they could call you back in time of emergancy,,or has this changed?

Only if you're in inactive status. Usta be that everyone who joined had a total 6 year commitment, typically 4 active and 2 inactive. Air Force retirees can be recalled though only by the Secretary of the Air Force and up.

Offline Altec

• Zinc Member
I would
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2003, 02:57:21 AM »
I served for almost 2 years. Medical cause some moron of a Private decided it would be cool to hit the wrong button on the lift and pinned my knee inbetween an engine and a tank rear deck plate.

If  they would take me again I would of already signed up. Only I would of done 11B this time. GROUND POUNDER BABY!