Author Topic: Three out of four S3's have crashed and burned so..  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
Three out of four S3's have crashed and burned so..
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2003, 05:18:15 AM »
I would also say that CAP events are very comparable to the "Target for Tonight" events in WB.
"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2003, 05:21:08 AM »
Target for tonight is a branching campaign with historical medals and respawn windows every 30 minutes?

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2003, 05:29:17 AM »
Geez I think somebody's feeling a bit threatened.  ;)
If those events were so great we'd all still be in WB playing them.  :)

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2003, 05:36:02 AM »
That is true of CAP in AH Swoop.
When I left WB 7 months ago they also had a logged event (with 4 lives) there that ran on Thursday nights in the Historical arena called "Target for Tonight". It was at that time very similar to the CAP event we have here in AH.
Of course they didn't have all those purty medals that we have. :D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2003, 05:40:13 AM by Skyfoxx »
"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2003, 05:39:39 AM »
Blimey.  Think I'll lay off the coffee in the mornings......

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2003, 06:49:01 AM »
Warbirds had Large Scenarios, Scenario Lites, EMC (Euro event), Target for Tonight, Weekend Warrior, and S3s.

WB had a large and sophisticated event community, but it gradually declined as WB 2.77 sat unchanged and WBIII stumbled along from one beta patch to the next. It is now a shadow of its former self.

The WB S3 series is a great event, the last really good event over there, but it struggles under the weight of WBIII and its incomplete plane set, and lack of terrains, and other problems.

I had a close look at where AH was going with their events, and jumped ship in June, to form my new squad here. I have not looked back since, and am having a great time in the events here, as many of my former WB comrades are as well.

Regards.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2003, 07:07:46 AM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2003, 07:12:18 AM »
What Tilt said is correct.  We at HTC do not pick the CM's.  Initially, we did, just to get the ball rolling, but there have been some very good people running the CM show for quite some time.

I provide the support mechanism for the CM/CT group and act as a contact point for them at HTC.

The events are all run without any need of anyone at HTC, other than getting terrains up, providing the various arenas to run them in, and some tools to aid in the overall running of the events.
We also provide the secure BBS forums for the events.

The onus of running the events in the SEA/CT are all on the CM/CT teams and we do as little as possible to intervene with that.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2003, 07:46:18 AM »
personally, I think the CM's do a heck of a job......seems to me it could get very frustrating for them.

I never subscribed to WB, but still have 2.77 and III on my 'puter. (cant run III though, not enough video memory)  I was playing it offline just the other day....and was very suprised to realize that I now positively hate it.  When I first joined AH, I thought it was a lesser game, but soon realized that I was wrong about that.  Now I cant even get a good feel for the WB flight characteristics....its just not on par with AH.

But in fairness, I owe 1 thing to WB.....the high price there allowed me to convince the wife that AH was a heck of a bargain :D

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2003, 08:38:08 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
Maby if I set up an S3's arena once a week free for  a couple of months?

HiTech

Great idea HT!

Anyone can just try it and decide for themselves.2 months or so gives you plenty of time to evaluate it.

Frodo

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2003, 08:41:07 AM »
Why not just call the TOD an S3? Damn near vanilla....or "S3 Tour of Duty" ?

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2003, 10:03:58 AM »
strictly object based events wont be enough to attrack the more serious players that participate in S3s.

I would ellaborate but I sure most know what I mean.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2003, 11:20:37 AM »
Sorry batz, not a clue what you mean.   We have objective based events (CAP) and we have score based events (TOD), we even have events that can be either (scenarios), we have kills based events (KOTH), we have events based on nothing whatsoever (snapshots).

Now what are you talking about?

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2003, 12:10:11 PM »
Gents,
You may want to re-read my post on the S3's.....

To the comment "squads are on their honor not to take up a better plane."
True but the logs are parsed and inspected.  Violators risk having their squads removed for some period or possibly re-assignment to a more inferior ride for the remainder of the S3 event.

Another example:  A squad may begiven Ki84's, however the replacement planes of that time may be the 61's.  Each 84 you lose during the frame is repalced with a 61 then next frame.  Lose too many and the squad is all in 61's.  Obviously your success rate diminishes and the K/D hits the bottom.

I am at work.  If you are truly interested, when I get home I will post links to ALL the S3 rules, regs, scores, and awards.

Ya know, your doing more right than wrong here at AH.  It is a cool SIMM.  The S3 is a very Historically fun event but it is not CRITICAL.  I doubt you'd capture all of the remaining players.  Certainly not the MAC guys and there are many considering World War II ONLINE, although I don't know why?  It sure isn't a fighter SIMM.

Regards,
Dracon

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2003, 01:26:37 PM »
As head of the CM group (for a short while longer ;)) I want to welcome any and all players from WB’s. Vadr and some others from the War Birds were a big help in getting the events over here started and a personal help to me. I have respected your events for a long time and used the success of the S3’s as a bench mark for our TOD’s.  

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions you might have.  jwg11@mlode.com I look forward to your participation and the possibility of some joining the CM group to further our events in Aces High.

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2003, 01:26:39 PM »
objects based events = capture x and win or destroy y and win.

Every scenario since Big Week has been object based.

ToD gave up on score for the longest time (which cool because tod was more of squad thing then who won).

Cap is object based. I totally gave up on it so I am not really concerned.

Events that take account of losses as well as the objective leads to a better type of event. AK, HS and BW accounted for losses as a part of the over all "who won."

Applied to tod a smaller squad could actually effect the outcome by enflicting enough losses on the attacker so as to offset the advantage they have in numbers. The smaller group need not necesssarily stop building x from being blown up but make it so costly that it doesnt matter. This balances "flying to live" with need to achieve the objective. Dowding came up with a great "score" system in Big Week.

BoB was a "bomb every building in x area". It didnt take into account what so ever losses. In reality the lw used their bombers to draw out fighters and kill them.

Taking losses into account allows for things like "mission kills". With strict object based events the large force need not be concerned with losses but just the objective. This is the same mindset behind the 50 man missions in the main.

You see events where 1 side takes incredible losses and still gets a "victory". I dont care much about who "wins". But I think it leads to a "different style" of gameplay. and imho an all round better event.