Author Topic: Perk planes, uber planes... What's the big attraction?  (Read 819 times)

Offline anRky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.domogarden.com
Perk planes, uber planes... What's the big attraction?
« on: January 13, 2001, 12:55:00 PM »
Why do most people want to be in a 'better' aircraft than the enemy?

When I play this egocentric game of domination over my opponent, what I really get off on is taking an inferior position and turning it into a victory.  That is NOT to say I like being gangbanged, but when I'm tooling around in a 202, and come across a high F4, I get a real big grin on my face -- even though it's going to be a tough fight, I know now I have the chance for a spectacular kill.  Even if I don't get a shot, and the F4 runs after the merge because he knows he's outclassed, that's much better than any amount of 'points' I could possibly receive.

How could I get that same thrill with a plane that has all the advantage?

Were it possible, I'd spend every single perk point I get in the next year, if I could just fly a P40 every once in awhile.  Make it a P40N, call it a 'perk' plane  

anRky
-Ih8ubb

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2001, 12:58:00 PM »
 I could care less if I am in a better aircraft than an enemy. Otherwise you would never see me in a Zeke or P-47.

I want to fly P-47Ms, TA152's, etc, etc. Perks points would allow that. However an arena with freely vailable aricraft like that would be completely out of wack and it is ALL you would ever see being used.

-Westy

Offline anRky

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2001, 03:01:00 PM »
Westy wrote:
----------------------------------------
I want to fly P-47Ms, TA152's, etc, etc. Perks points would allow that. However an arena with freely vailable aricraft like that would be completely out of wack and it is ALL you would ever see being used.
----------------------------------------

Yep, mostly TA152s instead of mostly hogs like it is now.

Personally, I'd rather see lots of early war planes added to the mix, instead of ultra late war planes, and have the hogs, ponys, etc. be the 'perk' planes.

anRky
-Ih8ubb

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2001, 03:09:00 PM »
Well youll get lots of points for your Hog kill in a 202. The perk point system encourages you to fly the 202 for the extra recognition of every victory. If that does not influence you either way then just ignore it. No harm to you either way. But if you do like to make generation gap kills in fighters then the system will reward you for the accomplishment.
Understand?

Offline anRky

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2001, 03:36:00 PM »
Pongo, I guess you don't get my point.

My problem isn't with the proposed perk system, it's that it appears this sim, that I've come to really like, is having its main emphasis being put on late, and very late war planes, instead of early war planes, which I'd prefer.

Not much I can do about it except make my opinions known, hence my post.

anRky
-Ih8ubb

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2001, 04:08:00 PM »
"this sim, that I've come to really like, is having its main emphasis being put on late, and very late war planes, instead of early war planes"

Well AH had to start somehwere. And from what people tend to fly, be it AW, FA, WB's and here too, folks love the 1944-1945 planes more than th eothers. But HTC has repeatedly said they will add mid and early planes. Version 1.06 is all about adding planes. The 109F, Macchi 202, Spit V.....   What are those?  I'm looming forward to the P-38F's and ME-110's. But I'm also looking forward to the KI-100's, P-47M, FW-190-D or TA-152. I'm not as particular.

-Westy

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2001, 04:31:00 PM »
"Been there done that" I'm not so much interested in early war planes anymore, I've flown 'em all and crashed 'em all over in WarBirds. I'd like to see a few planes I've never seen modelled before. A good example are the Yak, La5FN, C202 and C205 all currently modelled in AH. It's something "new and different" to try out. "Change" from the same ol' thing can be a good thing. Everyone resists change gnawing and clawing their way about it, but when it comes they learn to accept it and sometimes they actually enjoy it. For some reason this is particular to the american government worker, they can't stand getting newer and faster computers with upgraded software. It's beyond me, but I see the same thing here amongst the AH customers.
-SW

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2001, 04:58:00 PM »
Imagine how sweet your victory will be when you tag that ta152 in your 202  
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group