Author Topic: An American Abroad  (Read 201 times)

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
An American Abroad
« on: June 13, 2002, 05:05:29 PM »
My wife and I just got back from 11 days in Europe where we visited London, Paris and Amsterdam, The trip was great, and all three cities/countries were appealing in their own way. Frankly, even after nearly two weeks I was in no hurry to return home. But I do have a few questions and a few observations I would like to ask my international friends about.

1. WTF is up with those prices in London?!!! Man, how can you afford to live there? The prices would have been a bit on the expensive side even if they were dollars, but with the pound conversion I was paying $60 for meals I would have been happy paying $20 for anywhere here in the states, and this wasn’t even in the hottest tourist areas. I eventually found one pub in the West End, no less, with real English ales (brewed in house) for about $3.50 which was great. Up until now Georgetown (a part of Wash D.C.) was the most expensive place in the universe (land of the $7 Budweiser), but now it comes in second.

2. My experience with socialized medicine was great. I somehow managed to get a sinus infection early on in London (something about all the rain and cold I guess :) - I  didn’t go to Europe for the weather after all) and was able to find a local office in a row of apartments a few blocks from the hotel where the Doctor saw me without an appointment after only a 20 min wait. Prices for the visit and antibiotics were reasonable.

3. The tube is a bit steep (see point one) but easy, quick and efficient. No part of the London metropolitan area seemed more than 30 minutes away.

4. My wife noticed (of course not I :) ) that many of the women in London are tall and thin and look like models. WTG on the DNA front!

5. Bath and Stonehenge are great, The Tower of London is fantastic, and the Imperial War Museum is perhaps the best museum I have ever visited (also toured HMS Belfast). Never have I seen so many actual artifacts from history (the gun so and so was manning when he got the VC, etc.), and not just examples of some item.

6. In Paris (we only stopped over for two days) it was interesting to find how disorientated you become when you don’t speak the language. Simple things like directions and menus take on insane complications. There was an interesting reversal in Amsterdam whre the French tourists seemed to be out of the game most of the time, and I had to work to use a simple Dutch phrase since English is so common.

7. We toured Monet’s property in Normandy, and man, was he a lazy guy. It seems like just about everything he painted was located in his backyard. His flower gardens and lily ponds, etc. were magnificent, but It seemd they were developed and maintained as an art laboratory. Did he actually paint anything located more than a mile from his bedroom  :)

8. WTF is up with the French translation of the TV series JAG. As an American, I’m embaressed. Is this some Fench plot to help discredit American culture? :) I wanted to go into one of the many McDonald’s or TGI Fridays I saw in Paris (just to do my part in destroying French culture), but couldn’t see wasting a meal when I was enjoying French food so much :). Also, the French version of “Lets Make a Deal” was pretty funny to watch. You didn’t need to understand the language to get a kick out of the guy trading the good prize for the piece of crap behind door number three.

9. Any French I once knew has evaporated in the past 20 years. It did help a little, but not enough to really matter at all. I was pleased to be able to use a handful of lines I remember from the old “Jean Claude et Jacquilne” language series in Jr. High School. I went out of my way to order mineral water once, and my wife wondered why I was chuckling so much. If only I could find Jean Calude to tell him he had a phone call, then the experience would have been complete.

10. Amsterdam was great. Nice, relaxing, comfortable with a little eginess. For a party city, much nicer than a place like New Orleans. The coffeshops were interesting, but really very casual and unobtrusive -- the way it should be perhaps :) The goods were top quality, but moderation pervents stupidity. In contrast, the red light district was like a big alcohol-fueled frat party on the weekend nights, and aside from the novelty value quickly became rather irritating and mundane. FWIW it came up several times how bad things were before the “liberalization” policy came into effect, and this from some rather straigt residents we happened to meet.

11. The Dutch beers are nice, but what’s with thiose 1/2 pint glasses. I dank mostly Guinness in both London and Amsterdam, and wine in France. I also noticed plenty of visitors from the British Isles in Amsterdam, and man can those guys pound the pints. There seems to be a voulme and rowdiness equation at work as well, related to the number of pints consumed :)

12. The Dutch masters suck. Sorry, just my uneducated artistic impression, but how many portraits of Captain So and So and his regiment can you look at in one day. They were all well executed, mind you, but the subject matter was stifiling. I guess when you’re getting paid to paint, you can’t always pick the best subjects.

13. If you could tube anywhere in London in 30 minutes, could walk anywhere in Amsterdam in about the same time. Just watch out for the bikes and the trams. That was an eye opener. In the U.S. the pedestrian has the right of way and will easily step out in front of your car even if they could wait 5 seconds and walk across a clear street. The pecking order in Amsterdam seemed to be trams, followed by bikes, followed by cars followed by sprinting pedestrians :)

14. Those tiny cars (in all cities, but mainly Paris and London) are way, way cool. The SMART -- what a neat machine. http://www.smart.com/ Driving that around over here would cause accidents as people stared. And as soon as I stop telecommuting and can justify a car payment, I’m going to get one of those Morris/BMW Mini Sport models.

15. I noticed, particularly in Nothern Europe, that some individuals have a different concept about standing in lines/ques. That is, cut in front if you can. In the U.S. that’s the case in traffic, but it isn’t all that common in person just yet.

16. The Canals were cool, hell, I’ll say it again, the whole city of Amsterdam was cool.

Charon
« Last Edit: June 13, 2002, 05:21:30 PM by Charon »

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
An American Abroad
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 05:17:55 PM »
"I eventually found one pub in the West End, no less, with real English ales (brewed in house) for about $3.50 which was great."

Sounds like 'Freedom', a chain of microbreweries, which is heavily overpriced :).  Normally, pubs that serves ales and bitters got a sign out front saying 'real ales'.

"My experience with socialized medicine was great."

If you paid for it, it was most likely a private GP, hardly an example of socialized medicine :).

"4. My wife noticed (of course not I  ) that many of the women in London are tall and thin and look like models. WTG on the DNA front! "

West End, yes, rest of the UK, no. (Well, maybe Essex, but you can't stand listening to those more than 10 seconds anyway :p)

Daff

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
An American Abroad
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 06:07:11 PM »
If you paid for it, it was most likely a private GP, hardly an example of socialized medicine

While in London, on my honeymoon, I developed an incarcerated hernia [pause while laughter dies down] and spent a night in St. Mary's (I think that was it) next to Hyde Park.  While the hospital was certainly part of the socialized medical system, that was not extended to the point of giving a yank from the colonies a free ride.  As I recall, tests, medication and the overnight stay only came to something a little over $300.00.  (Which my HMO paid 100% of :eek: )  Here in the states you would have paid $300 just for the pain killers.

When my wife tells the above story, she is always sure to add, "Next time I'm getting a more durable husband."
« Last Edit: June 13, 2002, 06:09:34 PM by HFMudd »

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
An American Abroad
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2002, 06:41:22 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the highlights, Charon. :)
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
An American Abroad
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2002, 06:51:07 PM »
On Stonehenge. I really thought those stones would be bigger. The impression you get from watching them on tv or in pictures are that they are tall and mighty.

When you get there, Stonehenge is like right inbetween a heavily trafficked highway and a huge parking lot. Not really a good atmosphere for an age old mystery, when you have large trucks roaring past you 50 yards away. And the stones are much much smaller than you'd think.

But it was cool anyway.

The thing I'll never understand with the british though are the wall to wall carpets in the bathroom (exactly how disgusting is that), and the separate tabs for hot and cold water (made washing your face in the morning a whole new experience "what do I choose first, Ice cold, or boiling hot")

Offline superpug1

• Probation
  • Silver Member
An American Abroad
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2002, 09:22:22 PM »
My experances of Europe were, uhh, strang. My mom and I went to Austria, hungary and the Czech republic. The best part about Austria wa a tie between watching the pigeons literaly kill eachother over a slice of pizza and the great Austrian airlines. In the Czech Republic we stayed in Breslav. That was cool. Thean we went to Prague. No offense, but I didnt like it there. The worst part was having to pay to go to the bathroom. Hungary ws strange. I dont know if it was every channel showing prn after 2100 or the sounas with naked people.

In all europe was strang. for me atleast.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
An American Abroad
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2002, 10:42:06 PM »
"11. The Dutch beers are nice, but what’s with thiose 1/2 pint glasses. I dank mostly Guinness in both London and Amsterdam, and wine in France. I also noticed plenty of visitors from the British Isles in Amsterdam, and man can those guys pound the pints. There seems to be a voulme and rowdiness equation at work as well, related to the number of pints consumed  "

The Dutch idea is:  With a small beer you can finish it before it gets warm, with a large beer it's warm at the bottom.

The British response:  You're not drinking fast enough and have to make twice as many trips to the bar. :rolleyes:

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
An American Abroad
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2002, 12:02:53 PM »
Sounds like 'Freedom', a chain of microbreweries, which is heavily overpriced . Normally, pubs that serves ales and bitters got a sign out front saying 'real ales'.

Daff

That might have been it. I was staying in the West Kensington area most of the time, and found it to actually be about the cheapest beer around (by a good margin). Maybe they were running a discount at the time. Then I got the infection and had to wait a few days to start drinking again. I was in good shape by the time the train arrived in Amsterdam.

On Stonehenge. I really thought those stones would be bigger. The impression you get from watching them on tv or in pictures are that they are tall and mighty.

Hortlund

They are a bit less impressive, but then you can't go right up to them. Not bad for being older thant the pyramids though.

The thing I'll never understand with the british though are the wall to wall carpets in the bathroom (exactly how disgusting is that), and the separate tabs for hot and cold water (made washing your face in the morning a whole new experience "what do I choose first, Ice cold, or boiling hot")

Hortlund

Yeah, that was a bit of an interesting adjustment with the hot and cold. It was also interesting dealing with the small hand showers. The hotel in Paris didn't even have a shower curtain, so I assume it a conservation approach where you sit in the tub and use the detachable hand shower head to wet, lather, then rinse. On the other hand, what impressed me about European bathrooms were the turbo charged toilets I found in each country. They could flush a kitten with no problem :)

The Dutch idea is: With a small beer you can finish it before it gets warm, with a large beer it's warm at the bottom.

The British response: You're not drinking fast enough and have to make twice as many trips to the bar.

Swoop

Fortunately for you brits and us yanks, there is usually the full pint option :)

The worst part was having to pay to go to the bathroom.  Superpug 1

Hey, at least they had bathrooms to use in public. The funniest was Harrods in London where a trip to the loo was a pound!

Charon

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
An American Abroad
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2002, 12:58:06 PM »
Charon, great reading and very refreshing! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
An American Abroad
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2003, 12:11:49 PM »
Stumbled across this while researching something else.

Charon is right! London is one of the most expensive cities in the world. The tube, once the envy of the world, is now falling apart. Its greatest problem is its age. The other significant factor is that there is no flat rate fare, so an expensive ticketing system is needed, and the fares for longer journeys are ridiculous. Other cities (eg Madrid) have a modern system with a flat rate fare. In Madrid, that fare was 0.95 Euros (95 US cents). Even a large city like New York has a flat rate subway fare.

The 25cl glasses suck!  That's not even ½ an Imperial Pint. However, it is usually possible to get a 50cl/½ litre glass. Remember, those European beers are much stronger than the beers at home, Charon. :D  Ooops, sorry -

A pint of beer around here costs around £2.20.

Good to see Charon enjoying Europe, and being brave in non-English speaking areas. Next time I'm in Chicago, we will have to do Rush Street. ;)

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
An American Abroad
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2003, 12:58:01 PM »
Good to see Charon enjoying Europe, and being brave in non-English speaking areas. Next time I'm in Chicago, we will have to do Rush Street.

I can think of a few better places to visit Beetle. Rush Street has always struck me as the place Attorney's go to meet 18-year-old receptionists in black mini-dresses. However, it has been a while. As I remember you're familiar with the Chicago area.

Charon

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
An American Abroad
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2003, 01:11:45 PM »
Yes, I lived in Mt. Prospect - very close to where Twolf lives now. My mother-in-law lived on Keeler (midway between Cicero & Pulaski) in the old Irving Park district, and I knew that area quite well. I used to work on West Wacker, close to the Marina towers and where the L makes that rightangle turn out of Wabash. Gawd, my teeth are on edge as I recall the sound they made doing that! Maybe we should go to N. Clark instead...

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
An American Abroad
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2003, 01:20:27 PM »
That roadsters pretty sweet looking.  What does that thing cost???

Offline 28sweep

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
An American Abroad
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2003, 01:43:04 PM »
I have traveled through-out Europe and I have noticed that the best looking women were from Spain.  I almost exploded in Madrid  ;) .  All the women were lean and beautiful...

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
An American Abroad
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2003, 02:31:52 PM »
London is a strange city, Charon. The rest of the UK is very different (and cheaper). Generally, the further north you go, the cheaper the ale becomes.

Most people in London have their pay scaled in comparison to their colleagues in other parts of the UK. Unfortunately this doesn't work quite so well for public sector workers (nurses, teachers etc) and they are finding it harder and harder to find housing and basically live.

I have a friend in London who's a Barrister. He's earning a £100,000 a year (the bastige ;)), but still can't afford to buy his own place.

Everything is expensive in the UK generally, but London just takes the p***. It's one reason I wouldn't want to live and work there. I'll stick to quaint, little Sheffield as a city.

As for women, I believe Spain has the best looking 'average' woman, probably closely followed by France. England is a huge melting pot, so it tends to be very... diverse. :)
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.