Author Topic: Why do I????????  (Read 620 times)

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Why do I????????
« on: February 08, 2003, 05:20:35 PM »
Why do you find always find yourself in a bogey's dead six for the easiest shot of the day.............just when you run out of ammo? :mad:

Why do I never see the one that gets me? :cool:

Why do I keep attacking bombers?:(

Why, while in the middle of a 40+ mission do I get singled out and shot down first?

Why do I run out of fuel after a multi kill mission on short finals with full flap and at the wrong end of the drag curve??

Why does everything climb/dive away from me, out turn me and only need two rounds to blow me up?

Just thought I'd ask?

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
Why do I????????
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 06:33:29 PM »
It always feels like that when you are new (Im guessing you are).

It takes time, and you will die in more ways and more quickly than you can imagine;)

Its a good idea to film your flights, and review them to see what you did right and what you did less right :rolleyes:

In the end, it comes down to a few basics:

[list=1]
  • Learn to conserve your energy
  • Become profiencient with 1 or 2 planes before flying others
  • Get to know what each plane does well, and not so well (yours and the nme)
  • Practice your gunnery, and then...practice some more
  • Dont be affraid to shoot, you cant hit unless you shoot, learn ammo conservation later
  • Find those you have fun with and fly with them, you will learn and they can reduce the lethality of the mistakes you make
  • HAVE FUN....AND DON'T GET FRUSTRATED!!!
  • [/list=1]

The good news is, that in a few months you will be better than you ever thought possible......

The bad news is, no matter how good you get, you will still die with great regularity :D :D :D

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Why do I????????
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 06:43:17 PM »
Because you are not a protagonist.

Offline Moloch

• Copper Member
Why do I????????
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 07:04:48 PM »
Originally posted by ALF

Its a good idea to film your flights, and review them to see what you did right and what you did less right :rolleyes:

haha.... Right and WRONG..  
not Right and less Right ;)

Offline Moloch

• Copper Member
Why do I????????
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 07:30:00 PM »
on a lighter note, cpxxx, have you visited Net Aces

Do you have the Clipboard maps for Fighter and Bomber Fuel duration? (don't have a link for that)  Acid has made some very useful field maps for jabo'ing.  Plane Climb Rates are listed on the HitechCreations web site.  Useful to know if what you're fighting is faster at your alt or can climb better.  There is also a java applet (again, i don't know the url) that you can compare plane performance between any four planes.

Have you asked for help in the training arena?  I was suprised how much help i got there.

Just a few tips..  And remember, this 'game' is NOT easy..  It takes and effort to learn, but DOES pay very well in the end if you work at it.

ps (this should be in the help and training forum)

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Why do I????????
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 07:32:05 PM »
Good questions, and most of them may point out things you can improve on.

...Why do you find always find yourself in a bogey's dead six for the easiest shot of the day.............just when you run out of ammo?...

This means your using up your ammo on long shots or snap shots.  If you have patients and set up your kills, you can get kills with much less ammo.  When you have a snap shot, you aim in front of your target, putting you in a worse position and loose angles if you don't kill him.  You should be point your nose behind your target, get behind him and set up a good shot.  

...Why do I never see the one that gets me?...

Mostly better Situational Awareness (SA), that come from experiance.  You need to keep looking around, check your blind spots, and don't become fixated on one enemy.  Use this when you attack, come in low from behind, they will never see you.

...Why do I keep attacking bombers?...

I ask myself the same thing :)  Just don't sit behind them on their 6 unless you are working with another pilot to distract the gunner.  Head on shots are good, dive from above, or shoot and dive out.  

...Why do I run out of fuel after a multi kill mission on short finals with full flap and at the wrong end of the drag curve?? ...

This sucks :)

...Why does everything climb/dive away from me, out turn me and only need two rounds to blow me up?...

You need to learn how to manage energy and how to turn.  Find a trainer who understands how to energy fight.  On the the two rounds... your enemy have learned how to get withing range and set up a shot :)  Hang in there, I have had problems with all these, but there are solutions.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline GPreddy

• Copper Member
Why do I????????
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 07:44:27 PM »
Murphys Law

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
Why do I????????
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 10:55:21 PM »
originaly posted by a Moloch
haha.... Right and WRONG..

Problem is that with the fluid nature of air combat, whats right is not only a matter of opinion, but also influenced greatly by the outcome.
What you think was a great move, turns out only to be great becuase the enemy didnt you a counter that would make you look really bad
:p

--- or ---

A perfect example of result based analysis would be John Madden....IMHO, the KING of results based opinion formation:

"I just dont understand why they threw a 5 yard pass when its 3rd and 12yards to go for a 1st down.  You may as well not bother to throw the ball if you arn't going to throw it past 1st down marker"

then not even 2 minutes and 4 plays later (on another 3rd and long situation where the player caught a short screen and ran for another 15 yards securing the 1st down)

"You see how smart that play was. the quarterback knew he didnt have an open man downfield so he throws a high percentage pass underneath and the reciever breaks a tackle and runs the extra 10 yards to get the 1st down.  Sometimes I just dont understand why more young quarterbacks dont understand that you cant do it all yourself.  You need to trust your teammates to make that 1st guy miss."

And people wonder why I turn off the TV and turn on the radio whenever Madden is calling the game.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Why do I????????
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2003, 11:43:38 PM »
Originally posted by GPreddy
Murphys Law

Murphy is a jerk.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Why do I????????
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2003, 12:04:47 AM »
Never had that problem... I run out of gas long before ammo. (number 1)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2003, 06:52:44 PM by wetrat »
Army of Muppets

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Why do I????????
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2003, 03:33:41 AM »
Because YOU are the ensign in the red shirt in the away team!

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why do I????????
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2003, 11:18:53 AM »

Why, while in the middle of a 40+ mission do I get singled out and shot down first?

Seems like that almost ALWAYS happens to me when our squad runs a mission  GRRRRR :mad:
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
Why do I????????
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2003, 01:14:47 PM »
LOL Vulcan  

ensign death bait :)

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Why do I????????
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2003, 02:22:14 PM »
It's not the bogeys on my six that I'm worried about, it's the bandits .

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Why do I????????
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2003, 04:09:15 PM »
Yes that's me alright, the one in the red shirt. First man to die in the war or the last.  Remember the movie Hot Shots. There was a character called 'Dead Meat'. His fate was telegraphed a long way out :D I'm dead meat. So much for my Erich Hartmann or 'Paddy' Finucane fantasies.  More like one of their victims. Easy to spot, I'm the one trailing a funereal cloud of black smoke.

Thanks for the tips though. I might have known anything remotely involving aviation however virtual involves study, paperwork and and lots of it. Remember an aircraft cannot fly unless the weight of it's paperwork equals it's MTOW.

Time to hit the books. Now what is the speed advantage of an LA7 over an FW190 D9 in a 60 degree banked turn without WEP,  with a rearward CG at 21,000 feet with a variation from the  ISA  of plus two degrees but what if he's in a spitfire ............................. ......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!:confused:

Hmm where's did I put my copy of 'The Ace Factor', maybe I can find my SA in there?