Author Topic: [Kanttori!] P-40B/Russian/winter camo  (Read 953 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
[Kanttori!] P-40B/Russian/winter camo
« on: February 22, 2003, 01:53:06 PM »
Finished the Lend-lease Russian P-40B in winter camouflage!

Now, I must say, that the P-40B is a royal pain in the prettythang for skinners!!!

I found out how some of the recent skins made by Nate or Supe boasted such hih quality in markings: they used bits and pieces of unused space in the BMP files, and put markings in enlarged sizes there.

Now, this, is a very good attempt IMO, for making one plane scheme look pretty :D, however, when others try to alter it, it becomes very very difficult because it is like putting pieces of puzzles together, and accounting for difference in tones of color in the 'marking area' and the 'fuselage area', when a certain scheme doesn't use particular markings, is simply a head banger.

For instance, the "shark mouth" and "eye" parts had to be done separately in white winter camo.. and since the differences in tone show more drastically when in white color, it took a considerable long time to make it look natural!

But alas, I've finished it. The P-40B skin has some quirks, like multiple parts depending on a single area.. this problem shows in the left cowling part where there's a long brown "patch" near the guns.. but thankfully, I think it's no biggy.

I thought of two ways to do winter skinning. In reality, winter camouflage was nothing but coat of white, water-soluable paint applied on some parts.. and this paint weathers out pretty easily.  

So, the first option was make the panel lines, and do the 'background' painting by scratch.. second option was to do the panel lines, leave the background as it is, and apply a separate coat of white to act as white paint and erase it out in parts. In this instance I took the first option, just for the experience.. (which I admit, was a big headache..!).

I tried especially hard, to make some parts look 'weathered' out, where the white coat wears off, and show brown original paint underneath. How good it turned out, is up for you guys to judge :)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 01:54:57 PM »
This P-40 was modelled with this historical piece..

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 01:56:57 PM »
Here's the BMP for the fuselage:

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2003, 01:57:38 PM »
.. and the BMP for the wings and stabs..

Offline ChuBBs

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.81x.com/Chubbs/AcesHigh
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 03:42:13 PM »
very very nice

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2003, 04:55:50 PM »
looks great

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
Winter Fin-Rus needs more skinners!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2003, 05:51:24 AM »
As I said in another thread: GREAT WORK!:D

I have just looked her new winter clothes in Offline and they're just what I desired!

THIS IS ADVERTISEMENT:

I am working with Winter version from Finland - Russia terrain and I need skin makers to create winter camouflages to Russian and Germany planes. I make skins myself to Finns Ju88 and Brewster/FM2 (Our Bf 109 G2 and G6 didn't have any winter camos).

Look at this thread:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78827

Please contact me via e-mail, if you are interested! I promise that your names are shown in the Winter Fin-Rus clipboard map like Kweassa's! Your names and skins are also shown in this wep site (under construction now):

http://www.savanne.org/ah/FINRUS/

My e-mail:

ismo@kesalesket.net
« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 05:53:25 AM by kanttori »
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2003, 04:25:57 PM »
This is the winter Fin-Rus landscape where Kweassa's Curtiss P40B Tomahawk "White 58" is flying soon. Kola Peninsula looks like this in the morning light. This is Russian Lovosero Airfield.

Actually the morning light should be blue, but this is default HTC's Lightning System Show and the light is red!:D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 04:28:09 PM by kanttori »

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2003, 04:32:23 PM »
Oops! :confused:

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2003, 04:34:17 PM »
The seas and lakes has in Finland area always ice in the winter time, so I covered them with it. Now it looks like winter must look!;)

This is Lake Aaninen (Lake Onega) and the Solomanni Airfield near Aanislinna (Petroskiy) town. Finns were deep in Russia 1941-44, but nowadays not so deep. But still independent!:D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2003, 08:38:03 PM »
Awesome job on the skin. I am a lil worried that he has 8 frag kills marked on the side ... but beautiful. :D

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2003, 08:30:58 AM »
Originally posted by kanttori
The seas and lakes has in Finland area always ice in the winter time, so I covered them with it. Now it looks like winter must look!;)

but can you drive over them?  

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2003, 08:31:42 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Awesome job on the skin. I am a lil worried that he has 8 frag kills marked on the side ... but beautiful. :D

that's a commisar's plane.

:eek:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2003, 08:45:59 AM »
First off, great job Kweassa, you really do some good research and skinning!  It's too bad we don't have all those rivets showing, as that would add to the clarity of the plane.  It will most likely be in future versions of AH, but for now we have to go with what we're given!
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline Epsilon 5

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2003, 02:56:15 PM »
Impressive :)