Author Topic: Is it really any surprise at all..  (Read 301 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Is it really any surprise at all..
« on: February 17, 2003, 06:23:32 AM »
That the supposedly largest protests ever held in Europe were protesting against America..

That really is the whole point of this isnt it europeans?

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
Re: Is it really any surprise at all..
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 06:28:02 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
That the supposedly largest protests ever held in Europe were protesting against America..
That really is the whole point of this isnt it europeans?
No, Grunherz, all those Europeans are doing it just to annoy you personally. :D I salute them for their efforts.
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 06:29:16 AM »
As the conflict is between some Euro and USA we cannot expect anything else :)

In short I would have been very surprised to see some reaction from any African country :p

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Is it really any surprise at all..
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 06:30:17 AM »
Originally posted by -dead-
No, Grunherz, all those Europeans are doing it just to annoy you personally. :D I salute them for their efforts.

Sure ,I love annoying GRUN ;)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 06:55:27 AM »
Last time I heard, the British government was on this rollercoaster - didn't stop a million people marching through London.

Perhaps you could take your 'Europe is against my new country' line elsewhere.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 06:55:28 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
As the conflict is between some Euro and USA we cannot expect anything else :)

Yea...

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2003, 08:23:56 AM »
These were not protests against America. Plenty of Americans on the London march made that clear, they and we were marching in opposition to the British and US foreign policy on Iraq.

It's possible (if you can think in terms that aren't merely black and white that is) to disagree with US foreign policy and yet still have a great deal of respect and admiration for the USA. The US administration is not synonymous with The United States of America, thank heavens. Our countries (UK and US) have much to commend them, but now and again, we get leaders whose standards and behaviour fall below a critical threshold.

I marched in protest at my Government's willingness to commit our forces 'in defence of the realm' to a conflict that I believe will herald the start of many crises, rather than putting an end to an existing one.

And there's no 'supposedly' about it. Even the metropolitan police put the London figures at between 750,000 and 1,000,000 on the march alone between 11:50 and 5pm. the march went on until after 7pm and many, many people went straight for hyde park without marching for the rally. It was certainly the largest single gathering of people in the history of the British Isles (c:a 2000 years of it).

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2003, 08:29:20 AM »
Well put Bounder, except that anyone who dares to disagree with Americans is either Commie, US-hater or a democrat.

Thank goodness all of 'em aren't like the few loud ones on this board.

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2003, 08:45:47 AM »
Perhaps you could take your 'Europe is against my new country' line elsewhere.

what does that mean? 'new country'?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2003, 08:51:29 AM »
Originally posted by bounder
The US administration is not synonymous with The United States of America, thank heavens. Our countries (UK and US) have much to commend them, but now and again, we get leaders whose standards and behaviour fall below a critical threshold.

Your right. However, in this case, the US is largely behind our president.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/releases/pr030207.asp
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2003, 08:59:49 AM »
Grunherz wasn't always a US citizen, although he'd have you believe he was a founding father.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2003, 09:09:37 AM »
Thats crap Dowding. Why are you attacking me for being an immigrant -if anything that gives me much better appreciation of the USA.  But I guess thats a bit to incovenient for you, knowing somebody actually thinks the USA is a dam good country.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2003, 09:21:03 AM »
I'm not attacking you for being an immigrant. I dislike your hair-trigger knee-jerk reaction to the slightest criticism regarding US foreign policy when it comes to the question of war. Or, in fact any issue, going on past experience. You constantly turn the discussion into a 'You Euros...' mud slinging match, in which you are apt to pull out your desperately unfunny 'DETH TO AMREEKA' roadkill at any opportunity.

I know a lot of people who think the US is a fine country. I am one of them. I know fewer who think the sun shines out of Bush's arse, however.