Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 291 times)

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
Suggestions
« on: February 18, 2003, 01:10:08 PM »
I've been playing air combat similators ever since they came out on computers. I started with Mig Ally on the Atairi! I even played a flight similator on the Sinclair 2000.

It's amazing how far they have progressed.

AH is certainly one of the best on the market today.

"Software is never done", in that light, I have a few ideas for improvement - these could be used for AHII:

1. Mission planner - Please make a full screen mission planner. Add to it the ability to zoom in and select targets (like hangers and buildings) for each flight. AW's mission planner was pretty darn good in this respect. Include the ability to have private briefings for each mission. Also, improve the setting of way points. A look down view is needed to create accurate way points - rather then the current first person observer from the side view.

2. Ship Damage - please model gun damage on ships.

3. Trees and Rocks - Please remove the instant explosions that occur when making contact with these booby-trapped objects.

4. Trees and Rocks firing obsticles - right now the person behind a tree or rock is at a disadvantage, their fire is obstructed by these objects, yet someone shooting at them are not - in fact the attacker may not even see the object.

5. GV control - please map throttle to throttle, as well as brakes, and make all controls available to gunner and command's cupola positions. This is just a game, it is assumed these vechiles would be fully manned and one person doesn't have to run the entire GV by hopping from position to position. I love the improvements to damage model and hill climbing - it now makes sense!! GV battles are a blast and have added to the fun in this game - especially with the trinity map.

6. Ship Guns and Shore batteries - an Observer view position is needed. These guns elevate so high when shooting long range - it's difficult to see where they hit which out lowering the gun to view. Please add a view that can be used to observe the shot.

7. Fog, Rain, thunderstorms. would love to see these weather affects scattered through out the map. Add buffetting when flying through storms.

8. Air Turbulence- would love to see this modeled.

9. Anti-Tank/Artillery guns (stationary) - please add these to bases or near bases (like on top of hills) for base defense against GV attacks.

10. Of course add more planes, GVs, and boats!

11. Destoryer groups - would love to see task forces of just destroyers and transports for shore bombardment and capture.

12. Different models of CV Please. I know some suck, but would make great scenario matches.

DmdNexus

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 01:37:00 PM »
agree on everything , but with Anti-Tank/Artillery guns would like to see towed guns

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 02:31:43 PM »
Originally posted by DmdNexus
6. Ship Guns and Shore batteries - an Observer view position is needed. These guns elevate so high when shooting long range - it's difficult to see where they hit which out lowering the gun to view. Please add a view that can be used to observe the shot.

Nahhh. Rather than being in the turret -- for the main guns on a cruiser, the crew in the turret didn't direct the turret unless the ship had taken a lot of damage -- put the gunner in a gun director up in the superstructure, where you have an optical-coincidence rangefinder. You slew the director to point at your target and dial the range in and out until the two images overlaid correctly and then order the battery to fire.

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
Suggestions
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2003, 02:43:56 PM »
Sure that would work for me - would be fun..... but is that feasible to implement in a game?

That would require two people to fire the guns.

Or allow each gun to jump to this kind of view.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Suggestions
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2003, 03:24:45 PM »
great list.

especially like 1,2,5 and 6  all Very good requests that would greatly add to the game.

As far as i have seen in WW2 pics of artillery etc usually there is an observer position directing the guns.Rarely do you see the crew actually watching where they are firing.Usually they are just trying to maintain a fast firing rate etc.
In German artillery guns you often see those strange looking spotter scopes set up nearby, you know the ones that look like a telescope sideways on, or a VERY wide pair of binoculars :)

could we get this scope modeled as the veiw for firing artillery i wonder?

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2003, 11:19:03 PM »

7. Fog, Rain, thunderstorms. would love to see these weather affects scattered through out the map. Add buffetting when flying through storms.

DmdNexus

Nex...

Should we also have cancelled flights because of "fog, rain, thunderstorms". That would be lovely...log in for a 30 minute ride and have it cancelled because of weather....Damned realism weenie :D.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline loser

• Silver Member
Suggestions
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2003, 11:24:17 PM »
agree on all counts

Offline gunnss

• Nickel Member
      • https://grantvillegazette.com/wp/lastname-firstname/evans-kevin-h/
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2003, 12:38:01 AM »

DmdNexus

Grizzly in my squad suggests that the Ship gunner use the key and then the <8> key to drop the view untill the impacts can be seen, then in the land mode aim can be adjusted with the J/S to bring the fire on target.

My modification of the suggestion would be to have your shellfire colorcoded so you can tell your own shellfire from others, that is to change the shell tacer to another color from all other shellfire, >it would help in Battery GV fire too<

Gunns

5,486 HP 110 MPH @500 tons
My other "ride"
http://nmslrhs.org/Photos/photos.php
Alt History, The butterfly made me do it.....
https://grantvillegazette.com/wp/lastname-firstname/evans-kevin-h/

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
Suggestions
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2003, 11:19:02 AM »
Sheesh NB,

Did I say anything about cancelling flights? No!
You said that! Not me.

As it is now, the game already has 10,000 feet cloud layers modeled - That means 25k bombers can't see their targets.

For fog, rain, and thunderstorm systems - works the same way, they affect a certain area, not the entire map. If the target is fogged in, choose another target - doesn't mean someone can't fly when they log in.

But heck, if someone wants to fly in the fog, more power to them, visibility might only be 2 miles. Might give HT a reason to add night fighters.

Fog would just be another twist in the game. might make the difference in saving a base or launching from a base.  As with nighttime and cloud layers, it shouldn't be so often that it becomes a nuisance to play.

If I wanted realism, everyone would only get one life per account. You cheeser! :D

Nexus

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Suggestions
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2003, 01:18:32 AM »
Heck yeah, great ideas. Of course, if we're gonna have all this rotten weather, maybe we can get rid of the damned 14k gale... the bane of my existence when level bombing (well, when I did level bomb, finally gave it up.). Anything that brings in more GVs, boats, or bombers is fine by me.

blue skies,
hub

Dogs of War
~Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip... us!~
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2003, 01:42:54 AM »

Try: F8, numpad 8, z, [ ], if needed cursor right/left