Author Topic: Free until mid-march?  (Read 545 times)

Offline Stickman

• Zinc Member
Free until mid-march?
« on: February 22, 2003, 07:31:33 PM »
I just read on a thread in another forum that people who've had 2 week trials or accounts in Aces High should've received an email stating that AH is free to try again for a period of a couple of weeks. Is this true? And if so, why didn't I receive an email?

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Free until mid-march?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 07:42:19 PM »
Limited mailing, or your two-week was under an old email address?  Email HTC...if they're handing them out to any previous 2-weeker, then maybe they'll set you up with this free trial.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Stickman

• Zinc Member
Free until mid-march?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 07:53:15 PM »
No, I've had the same email address for about 5 years, so I doubt that's it.

I think I did the 2 week trial a couple of years ago and had planned on trying it again soon, but it seems the 2 weeks is a 1 time deal only and I was unable to get another 2 weeks. However, one of the Hitech guys did email me when I posted about that on this forum some time ago and offered to give me another 2 weeks. At the time, however, I'd intended to wait for a new arena that had been rumored to be arriving soon that had a strategy layer and was an ongoing conflict with detailed missions planned and carried out routinely. Having never heard any more about this, and over time I simply forgot about it.

Is this new arena in place yet, or is this going to be the AH2 I've been reading about?

Anyway, if someone at Hitech Creations wants to get me set up with a trial account again, I don't remember what my handle was, but I fly as -stick at Warbirds, and would appreciate something similar if possible. I'm not adverse to having an account to 2 sims (kept a WWII Online account for a year, didn't even fly it for the last 8 months), I just didn't care a great deal for the gameplay last time I tried it. Maybe it's changed enough that I'll be apprecaite it more this time 'round.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Free until mid-march?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2003, 08:51:19 PM »
You don't need to get an e-mail to play again... just make any account.
Army of Muppets

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Free until mid-march?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 10:40:31 PM »
Stickman :)

I recommend the CT for your tastes, 38 is featured with the lastest map. Good people in there..

Put some time in, ya never know..
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Stickman

• Zinc Member
Free until mid-march?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 02:25:44 AM »
Ok, having a few problems, maybe someone here can help.

First (and foremost), AH doesn't seem to find my second stick, which is essential for me to fly comfortably. Not sure why, but every other sim finds it.

Secondly, for some reason, I'm getting a "torquish" yaw to the left when I roll my contra-rotating twin P38 down the runway. I don't know if it's something I'm forgetting, but my rudder is centered before I'm rolling, but the ball swings anyway. Once I'm able to get airbourne, I can select auto-trim and it corrects it, but I can't help but think this is effecting my ship's performance in flight.

Additionally, a few small things: How do you look back up in the text buffer? There were several times when a couple of guys were in an argument, filling the text buffer with stupidity, and I wasn't able to see what I'd missed from other players that might've been important; What's the range icon given in, feet or yards? It seems to be in feet, but just wanted to make sure; Is there any way to turn off my tracers?; How can I call someone's six if the mouse doesn't work for it?

And finally, where is a good site that gives performance stats for all the AH aircraft? I need to see something that gives me an idea what a 109G-10 can do better than my P38 so I can exploit both my strengths and his weaknesses. The old standards really aren't (standards, I mean) and I can't seem to go by what I use in Warbirds.

Some of the things I really liked were:

Automatic warning when your base is under attack

Sexy female voice giving said warning;)

Ability to use voice to anyone (don't know how to do it myself yet, but someone was talking to me)

Ordnance is absurdly easy to deliver on target without taking damage or risking self anihilation.

P.S.
The 5/7 view really sucks the big one, and forcing someone to move their head to look around the headrest is insane. What pilot would've turned his head and simply gazed at the headrest/pilot armor? I could understand if it took a second or two to get to and from this view, but forcing me to hold 2 or 3 keys down to get there? Sheesh! Not only that, but the "Linda Blair" view is available. Not trying to be overly critical here, but this is something I found very troubling in an otherwise decent sim.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Free until mid-march?
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2003, 04:44:38 AM »
Originally posted by Stickman
Additionally, a few small things: How do you look back up in the text buffer?
To expand the text buffer, hit the ~ key (or whatever key is above the Tab on your keyboard).  This is a toggle between the 4 lines and full screen.
What's the range icon given in, feet or yards?
Icon range is actually in yards...  :)
Is there any way to turn off my tracers?
Yes - click Setup on the clipboard, then Flight and check No Tracers
How can I call someone's six if the mouse doesn't work for it?
The ' (apostrophe) is the Check6 key - keep hitting it until box is around intended player, then release - the Check6 is sent about a second later.
And finally, where is a good site that gives performance stats for all the AH aircraft?
A very good site is Netaces.org as well a HTC's own help pages - http://www.hitechcreations.com/ahhelp/models/models.html
forcing someone to move their head to look around the headrest is insane.
Various head positions can be saved by pressing F10 - to save you some work, there are several websites where people have already saved optimum head positions for most aircraft - one of these is http://home14.inet.tele.dk/snefens/views/views.htm

Hope that has answered at least some of your questions.  Welcome to AH.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 05:54:36 AM by Flossy »
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Free until mid-march?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2003, 04:53:30 AM »
Stick old buddy,

next time you're in the arena look out for anyone who's with "VMF-323".  You're welcome to fly with us.

Oh and the "torqish yaw" you're getting is, I think, due to the trim.  For some reason it thinks you're in a single engine fighter and standard trim setting is to counteract the torque.  Try trimming manually to neutral.  I notice it in a few planes, P38, ME163, ME262......none of em should yaw but they do.  Maybe the deadzone on my stick needs to be bigger.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Free until mid-march?
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2003, 04:59:41 AM »
oh and btw, to set a head position:

Hold down on your PoV hat (or whatever position you use to check 6), then move the head position around the headrest (also pgUp and pgDn raise and lower your head position) then WITHOUT letting go of the PoV hat press F10.  You'll see a system message in the text buffer saying head position saved.

If you screw up the head position and want to go back to normal and start again press HOME.

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
Free until mid-march?
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2003, 05:00:28 AM »
Flossy, the period at the end of the address should be omitted.

Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Free until mid-march?
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2003, 05:56:00 AM »
Oops, thanks Snefens.... now edited.  I usually check the links after posting, but forgot this time.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Free until mid-march?
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2003, 10:39:34 AM »
How can I call someone's six if the mouse doesn't work for it?

Use Vox !! that's the beauty of it. The button check six gets confusing when you have 3 or 4 countrymen in front of you. You have to cycle through to get the correct countrymen.

EVERYONE is on your RW channel :D
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Free until mid-march?
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2003, 10:45:08 AM »
Originally posted by nopoop
EVERYONE is on your RW channel :D
RW channel?  :D  Yeah, what nopoop said - works with everyone who appears in your Range vox list (within icon range)   :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Free until mid-march?
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2003, 11:18:30 AM »
I never use the checksix button, it's a clumsy way or warning someone when I can just press a button a call his name over the range comms. That's the beauty of the integrated comms here you can do away with all the immersion ruining little things like having to type everything and press buttons to give quick warnings.

Offline Walker42

• Zinc Member
Free until mid-march?
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2003, 11:26:33 AM »
Stickman,

The yaw to the left. Is it really bad?   I know if you map the throttle to both engines.  One needs to be inverted.  

Select one engine at a time, just start that engine, and  observe what's happening.  

That might be it.

I couldn't get off the ground though when I did it though.   If you did, and that's happening.  You rock!

S!