Author Topic: My new tyres, and WRX v Golf R32 etc.  (Read 557 times)

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
My new tyres, and WRX v Golf R32 etc.
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2003, 05:23:39 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
The writing on the side wall is "Pilot Primacy". But flippin 'eck - £68 each, plus new valves, plus balancing, plus alignment, plus VAT - £363. :eek: :(

But the ride on the Michelins is wonderfully sure footed.

Most garages/tyre centres often advertise tyres at certain prices but often omit the price of valves and balancing.  The thing is that the time of fitting a new valve and doing the balancing whilst fitting a tyre is only a minute or two more so that's where they really cash in.  Front wheel alignment will only take a couple of minutes too, unless you want to adjust it then it can be time consuming!  Glad I don't have to do that anymore!! :)

As for the Golf R32, I saw a review of it on TV about a month or two ago.  I think they drove it in Germany or wherever.  They said it was very good but with a totally new Golf out later this year they urged 'new Golf' buyers to wait and see what comes along.
NEXX

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2003, 05:14:35 AM »
Nexx - yes, it all adds up. BTW, I said that place was my local tyre place, but it's about 40 miles away - but their prices are better than anything I could get around here. I haven't bought tyres from anywhere else since 1986. When I had the Toyota Supra 3.0i turbo, the biggest expenses (apart from petrol at 23mpg) were insurance and tyres. By shopping at Micheldever I would save about £160 on the purchase of two tyres, so it was worth the drive.

As for the new Golf, the current one like mine was out for about 2 years before it was made available in the UK. I saw it at the 1999 Frankfurt Motor Show, but had to wait till March 2001 to get mine - probably the usual German reluctance to make the cars in RHD. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2003, 05:17:11 AM by beet1e »

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2003, 05:49:14 AM »
The Golf can still be used as executive car.
The car has style

Our sales managers drive in a AWD Golf
A Subaru would have been an other view.

But i like subaru coz it using boxer engines :)

2wd drive is just as much fun too as long as it is ur back wheel

Offline Mr.H

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2003, 06:07:54 AM »
The R32 is a nice Golf.

Added it to my dream list ages ago hehe

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2003, 08:13:22 AM »
Potenzas AHHH!!! Trash tire!!  Mich's Pilots are ehhh..    

Kumos are great...for Auto-X'n  I wish I had gone to those over these Toyo T-1S that I have at the moment.  Tho the T-1S are showing great wear for being daily driven 7k and 5 Autocross events later.. I say I can get 20K out of them which is far better then the Kumos

And these T-1s are great tires for the road and nice in the rain!

Aye Crow.. do you make it to Gainesville for AutoX'n
« Last Edit: February 27, 2003, 08:23:15 AM by nuchpatrick »

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2003, 09:36:36 AM »
Originally posted by nuchpatrick
Aye Crow.. do you make it to Gainesville for AutoX'n

I was there at the last Divisional and it rained like hell.  It was miserable.  

I know CenFL Region has all but decided not to run there anymore because of the expense and lack of nearby lodging.  The lodging is an issue...the nearest hotel is pretty expensive.  But luckily I've got a friend that will be moving there this summer and it will give me a couch to crash on.  My biggest problem is getting my tires to G'ville...I can't fit 4 race tires in the S2k like you can in the Miata! :mad:

I would have liked to run the SOLO I they held there, but I don't have a roll bar. :(

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2003, 10:27:14 AM »
Yeah.. I have the same issue no roll bar  :(   I do plan on getting one at the end of the year..  You should see if Harddog is going to make one for the S2K.. May be worth while....

Ye should pick up one of those small trailers and put a hitch on yours.. Theres a one guy that does that with his S2K.

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2003, 10:33:05 AM »
Crow this was posted in the Miata.net Forum..  If you have $300.00 you can run at Sebring...lol...w/o roll bar

Heres the link

http://www.speedventures.net/4-29-2003_event.asp