Author Topic: Radeon 9700 Pro in XP Pro problems  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Radeon 9700 Pro in XP Pro problems
« on: February 28, 2003, 05:31:21 PM »
I've recently had a problem with my new computer constantly resetting in certain situations. Today, after setting XP so that it doesn't automatically reset the computer on a systems fault, I found out why.

Here is the bluescreen error I'm getting

***  Stop: 0x0000008E (0xc00000005, 0xBF9A2C6B, 0XAA5B1284, 0X000000000)
*** ati2dvag.dll - address BF9A2C6B base at BF99E000, Datestamp 3e2cc23e

I'm running XP Pro, DirectX9.0 and the ATI reference Catalyst 3.1 drivers (it also happens with the 3.0 drivers)

System:
Intel P4  2.8Ghz
Asus P4G8X Deluxe MB (E7502 Chipset)
FIC AT010 RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB DDR 8X AGP OEM
1 Gig Corsair PC2700 DDR RAM (matched set x2 512 Megs)
80 Gig Maxtor HD
Plextor 40/12/40 CDR

Anyone seen this kind of problem?

I guess the next step is to try and back out to the 2.XX series of Catalyst drivers, and if that don't work, try to go back to DX8.2

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 06:05:53 PM »
I'd try going back to the shop and replace the card.. ;)

If you made a clean install and the hardware is tested first time in this setup, it's more than likely your crashes have nothing to do with drivers. A lot of the hardware sold out these days ship with bugs and errors.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 06:12:43 PM »
Verm, I have not had any type of problems with my 9700Pro.  I am running Cat 1's at the moment.

Hmmm...but I don't run XP either.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 06:23:20 PM »
Going back to the Cat 2.5 drivers didnt help any.  Guess I'll try to uninstall DX9 next and see if that helps any

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 06:45:59 PM »
*groan*

Did some searches, and come up with a few threads that describe the problem.  Evidently its something specific to XP and Win2k.  This one describes it best.

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64

Unfortunately, its a total crapshoot, and general "1000 things that could be wrong with your system" type problem and no easy answers.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2003, 08:58:57 PM »
I'll take a guess.

The only element of your system that raised my eyebrow was your choice in rams.

I would have gone with Mushkin or Crucial and would have used 4 256MB sticks instead of 2 512MB sticks.

The lower density rams are more immune to cross-talk due to PCB design.  I know people crow about Corsair, but as an engineer, I am not that impressed with them.
The lower layer counts in thier design is enough reason for me to avoid using them.

Just a thought.

I use W2K though and have not had a single problem with my 9700Pro.  I forgot what power supply you got.  I use an Antec 430W TruPower.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BlckMgk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2003, 09:09:35 PM »
This is off topic but it seems skuzzy is reading it
--

Skuzzy where did you learn to do what you do? On Job? Or specific technical school? I'm interested in this kind of field/work but I don't know where to start.

Thanks
-BM

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2003, 09:11:38 PM »
Originally posted by Vermillion
*groan*

Did some searches, and come up with a few threads that describe the problem.  Evidently its something specific to XP and Win2k.  This one describes it best.

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64

Unfortunately, its a total crapshoot, and general "1000 things that could be wrong with your system" type problem and no easy answers.

i have the card, and xp pro, no plms whatsoever for me. i'm using the card as it came with the computer... from dell... heh, .

i haven't touched dx9 yet. still on dx8.1
« Last Edit: February 28, 2003, 09:14:35 PM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2003, 09:52:05 PM »
want good ram for cheap, http://www.excaliberpc.com

Kingston HyperX is just as good and if not better than Corsair XMS and a hell of alot cheaper

PC3000 256MB stick 49.50
512MB stick for $80

I put this in my new 8rda+ and have it on Turbo mem settings and overclocked to 166FSB 1.4ghz XP1600+ running at 1.75ghz with more room to go once I break in the memory

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2003, 10:24:55 PM »
Long story for me Blkmgc.

Short version:
I wanted to design computers, so went to college and got my EE.
This was back when small computers occupied a good size room.

After a couple of years (almost 10 as I recall), this company called Tandy/Radio Shack were making noises with the TRS80 Model I.  I landed a job with them.
During my 10 years there, I did quite a few things.  I got fed up with the software engineers once as they took a good hardware design and made it look bad, so I re=wrote the Xenix kernel in assembly.  My first major programming job.  It was Motorola assembly which is about as simple as it gets.

Kinda got intersted in programming as hardware was moving away from TTL design to doing more and more in single chips, which was not much fun for me.

While doing software work, I managed to get put in charge of the local area network.  We had this new thing called DARPANet, and no one knew how to make it work well.  I figured it out and got the task of managing it.
My last hardware design was rejected by Tandy, so I shopped it around and found Adaptec.  They took it to heart and created the AHA-1540 SCSI Host adapter.
I went ahead and quit Tandy and went to work for Adaptec.  They need help to get the software done for the adapter so I persuaded SCO to build native support for the 1540 into the kernel.
Then got tasked with doing all of Adaptec's UNIX drivers.  Got to write code at USL, DEC, HP, SCO,..and several other places.
After 6 years, I started my ISP business.  Got really back into the network thing and the coding thing.
Being a startup, I had to build my own computers to save a buck.

OY!  Basically, everything I know today is a direct result of me needing to know it to get something accomplished.  I have been very fortunate in my career to be in some once in a lifetime places.

Want some advice?  Find something you like to do, and then find someone that is doing it badly and take thier job away from them, by virtue of accomplishments.
Every step of my career has taken me into places where challenges are high.  I thrive in those environments.

Good luck.  Don't know if any of that will help.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2003, 10:30:08 PM »
I have basically the same system and the same problem. I use Radeon 9700 Pro with Windows XP on a P4 2.8 Ghz with 2 Gig PC800 ECC Ram at 40ns, with 2 120 gig drives in RAID. It all stopped when I replaced the ram. I am almost positive one of my sticks was bad. I'm assuming since the 9700 Pro is AGP and uses system memory in addition to it's on board memory that it hit on the bad ram alot, especially considering with my system I had the highest settings selected (therefore most memory instensive). My guess would be bad ram...

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2003, 05:59:17 AM »
Memtest showed the RAM was clean after the most intensive test ran multiple times.  Not a single error.  Not to say that it still couldn't be a problem, but that its not just your normal "Bad stick of RAM" situation.

Skuzzy, the power supply is a new Foxcon 450w supply in a Chieftech full tower case.  

From searching the net and reading the multiple threads on different forums, two things I've tried at this point, and I'll test today to see if it crashes.

1.) Turn off Fastwrite on Radeons.  It increases stability and has no effect on speed.

2.) Trying out a set of "Omega" drivers.  Based upon the stock ATI drivers some guy at http://www.omegacorner.com  trys to optimize the driver set for actual games, and not benchmarks.  I've seen them highly recommend on some of the 3D Card BBS's.  I know, its playing with fire, but at this point I don't much care ;) I have a Ghost image of the system from right after I got it up and running in a "barebones" XP setup that I can go back too if I royally screwup.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2003, 07:05:55 AM »
Verm have you tested the 9700 in any other pc before this?

I'd try it out on another box if possible or try another displaycard in your box and see if the problems repeat. That way you can rule out hardware malfunctions (they are unpleasantly common these days.)

Oh, another thing.. I've had two accounts where I had similar kind of symptoms on my computer. They were traced to something as unlikely looking as the harddrive!

The hardware created I/O errors which crashed the computer in places that seemed to have nothing to do with hd access.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2003, 07:08:06 AM by Siaf__csf »

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2003, 09:19:30 AM »
My bad ram didn't show up on the standard integrity tests either...But, it was bad.

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline DES

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2003, 11:53:04 AM »
I've worked on pc's that memtest showed the memory being ok but replacing the memory cured the problem.

des