Author Topic: Rockets  (Read 591 times)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Rockets
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2003, 12:35:46 PM »
Farthest I have ever killed anything with a rocket was a PT boat at 1.5 K out.  Surprised me actually, didnt even think I would of hit 'em. It was one of those AA rockets that come with an 110, so I guess I got lucky on that one.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Rockets
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2003, 01:43:19 PM »
One aiming tip with rockets is that they won't follow a side-slip.  If you are using your rudder to aim, the rockets will not hit that point, instead heading in the direction you are travelling, not the direction you happen to be pointing.

Be careful of this as I know it throws a lot of people's aim off with rockets.

-Soda
AH Trainer Corps.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Rockets
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2003, 02:58:54 PM »
Originally posted by Soda
One aiming tip with rockets is that they won't follow a side-slip.  If you are using your rudder to aim, the rockets will not hit that point, instead heading in the direction you are travelling, not the direction you happen to be pointing.

Be careful of this as I know it throws a lot of people's aim off with rockets.

-Soda
AH Trainer Corps.

That's interesting.  I would've thought turning the plane would affect the rocket direction since the wings would've moved with the rudder twist.  I guess its something in the game code.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Rockets
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2003, 04:07:10 PM »
Remember though, the direciton of motion is not the same as the direction you are pointed if you are sideslipping the plane with rudder.  Once the rocket leaves the rail, the sideways forces of the direction of motion would likely straighten the rocket out in that direction, making it follow your path, not your direction (if that makes sense).  It's like throwing a dart out the window of your moving car, it straightens out in the direction the car was travelling pretty quickly since the forces from the wind rushing by are enough to stabilize it in that direction.

It only really is a problem where you are trying to aim your rockets while "crabbing" the plane though.  I see people do it all the time but it's pretty easy to avoid.

-Soda
AH Trainer Corps.