Author Topic: how do you fly  (Read 754 times)

Offline Transplants

• Zinc Member
how do you fly
« on: March 08, 2003, 07:27:22 PM »
is there something wrong with me. I cant get in any dogfights or shoot anyone down because when I try to ascend or turn sharply, I get a buzzing sound and I lose control and I crash. How do you fly the plane. Do I have something turned on that I shouldnt

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
how do you fly
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 08:59:40 PM »
You're stalling the plane.  The sound you're hearing is the stall horn, when you hear it, ease off on the stick so you dont lose control.

For climbing, I'd reccomend using the autopilot, hit alt-x to turn it on, and it'll automaticly hold a climb for you.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
how do you fly
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2003, 09:27:23 PM »
Inno is likely correct... after you climb a bit, you can also turn on the level auto-pilot (X key), though if you already have auto-pilot on (like the climb Alt-X), you'll have to hit the X key twice.  The first time will turn off the current autopilot setting, the second one turns on auto-level.  Then, let your plane accelerate a bit.  It can take up to 3 minutes to get to top speed, though if you let it go for about 30-45 seconds you should have some decent airspeed to work with.

Another thing to consider is your control device.  A lot of people have been showing up and trying to fly with a mouse, or gamepad.  Neither of those is really a viable option, they tend to be oversensitive to the point that they stall you really easy.  Make sure you have a properly calibrated joystick.

-Soda
AH Trainer Corps.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
how do you fly
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2003, 05:04:55 AM »
The best prescription in this case, can only be time.

I would strongly suggest that you look up on information related on plane specifications, tactics and basic/advanced flying methods. Flight sim games, especially combat flight sim games, take a lot of time to 'get used to'.

Please take into account that this advice is not just a "convenient way that veterans brush off newbies" :) It really does take a lot of time in bascially even understanding what people tell you, when it comes to the flight-sim genre, and how strong the willingness and motivation for the individual to study and learn about flying determines a lot!

For instance, the phenomenon you experience is called 'stall'. To understand what this is, and how to prevent it, you must also study a bit on basic theory of flight. What causes stall? How can it be avoided?

And then.. as you learn the basics, you quickly realize that some planes cannot follow other planes in turn maneuvers, because they are limited in pure maneuverability. You begin to ask yourself "how can I maneuver to an attack position in a plane that cannot follow the target's turn?" ... and from this inquiry begins your long journey into the world of air combat maneuvers, tactics and situational awareness. :D

So.. give it some time. Pick up some good books, or browse through the internet! Look for information and history of WWII airplanes and air combat! Relentlessly practice with the 'trial and error' mindset! Do not be discouraged of being shot down! ;)

I used to think myself a pretty adept pilot in the days I was flying with my keyboard, with all those 'cumbersome' 'realistic settings' mumbo jumbo turned off :) I used to shoot down zillions of planes everyday. Then I got a stick, started flying in Fighter Ace.. hey, no sweat!

Then I took a step into Aces High version 1.5, and boy, was it a long down hill from there :) It took me nearly a month to get my first kill, and many many many more months before I became to understand and fly around.

Don't hesitate to ask questions on the help forums.. many people will try to answer your questions(as long as they aren't the typical "RTFM" material ;) )

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
how do you fly
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2003, 06:00:19 AM »
First what planes do you fly or prefer to fly?

You may run into trouble jumping from plane to plane trying to find one that fits.

If you have a preference for a certain countries planes set then let us know and we can offer you plane specific advice.

Some planes you cabn slam the stick around real easy others are not so easy.

Try a spit 5. The learning curve is kinda steep but they spit 5 or 9 is the best plane for a new guy.

Have you flown previous fight sims?

Do you have a joystick?

Is it calibrated correctly?

There a good article on BFM (basic flying manuvers) at Simhq

BFM 101 prt 1

BFM 101 prt 2

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/air_combat/air_combat.shtml

Follow the link above and scroll down about 2/3rds of the way until you see Andy Bush's article "Its a matter of PERSPECTIVE"

Its a 4 part article and give it a read.

But "How to fly" could mean anything. Practice offline killing drones. Take it easy on your stick movements. You my need to re-scale your stick to a point where you are comfortable.

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
how do you fly
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2003, 08:57:18 AM »
In addition to what has already been said, I'll suggest patience, patience, and more patience. Get yourself a joystick and fly off-line for a little while. I recommend the Saitek Cyborg 3D; if you have a little more money, get yourself a Saitek X45. Learn a plane, learn to shoot the drones, learn how to take out acks, etc. Then come back. Prepare to be shot down a lot, but we're a great bunch of guys and gals really.

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
how do you fly
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2003, 10:00:42 AM »
i think some players show up in a WW2 sim after flying jets, or maybe even TIE fighters, and are surprised to discover how little thrust WW2 era a/c generate.

i know this was true for me, my first sim was JetFighter. and it wasn't just the E-management issue. after spanking bogs BVR with AIMS, learning how to get on a bandits 6, and staying was a steep learning curve.
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
how do you fly
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2003, 01:32:23 PM »
Try the A6M2, A6M5, or the FM-2.  They are a little less stall-prone.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
how do you fly
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2003, 04:27:26 PM »
Also there is a stall limiting feature that you can turn on in the setup menu on the clipboard.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
how do you fly
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2003, 05:01:15 PM »
"Back away from the P-51 and the F4-U son !!!"

Just a guess on my part.

I remember when I first started AH and these were the first planes that I jumped into. American WWII icons !!!

Needless to say, flat-spins were a way of life ... until someone said ... "Get in one of the Spits and come back to those planes later".
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
how do you fly
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2003, 05:36:13 PM »
I know this was mentioned in another thread recently, but a Spit V or Spit IX is a good starter plane.  It tends to have very easy handling plus is something that can grow a bit with you as you get more comfortable in the game.  Most of the later war (typically faster) planes tend to have more handling quirks and are easier to lose control of.

Once you get the feel for a Spitfire, then you can jump more easily into something else.  Eventually you will want to try basically every plane in the game out anyway.

-Soda
AH Trainer Corps.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
how do you fly
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2003, 04:06:30 AM »
Dont fly zekes, they are not good planes for beginners. The are energy fighters that when placed in the main are too slow and climb to poorly to be flown correctly.

All you can do is pull the stick to your stomach and fly in a tight circle. Their ammo is limited and realitively weak. Actually actually on the a6m2 the only plane with weaker guns is the 202.

The a6m2 is a brick above 325 and the a6m5 at 375. They compress very easily.

Listen to Soda get a spit 5 or spit 9. They turn well, climb ok and dive with the best of umm. And they carry hizookas.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
how do you fly
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2003, 01:55:04 PM »
Batz, careful on berating the Zero too badly.  The 5b model climbs at over 3,300ft/min at low levels, bettering a good portion of popular MA aircraft.  It also tends to accelerate reasonably at low speeds and certainly turns like crazy.  The firepower isn't great, but not nearly as weak as you make out in the 5b either, 13mm in the cowl, plus 20mm in each wing (125 rounds/gun).  That's decent, though the ballistics are somewhat poorer than hispanos or something.  You usually face things very close up in a Zeke though, making aiming less of a problem.  the guns are certainly far better than a C202 and no where near the weakest in the game, being more "average".  I don't think they hit any less hard either... they seem to work for me whenever I've used them.

The compression issues are there, though the early Zero seems far less effected than the later version (no idea why).  There are some very good, and successful, Zero drivers out there though who can give you a very hard time and not just be TnB'rs.

The reason I always come back to the Spit's as planes to start with though is they really have no vices that stand out.  Sure, they are a little slow, but they handle at all speeds, are almost indestructable to failure from even extreme dives (though they'll creak like incredible), and the guns are a pretty decent setup (with the .50's and Hispanos).  It's hard to get in trouble from a control standpoint in a Spit, where other planes often have limits that need to be cautiously observed.

-Soda
AH Trainer Corps.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
how do you fly
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2003, 04:08:31 PM »
I fly both zekes, (well I used to; i dont fly much anymore) but 3300fpm a minute aint that good either compared to the what planes are flown most in the main. Same with its accelleration, it may be adequate but its doesnt make the zeke a winner. Accelleration only matters when closing or extending. It wont let you get away from a faster plane or catch one. And 90% of the planes are faster. Unless you are good enough at e fighting you'll rarely bleed an nme down to where accelleration will be a factor.

Add in limited ammo and not so strong guns and it will frustrate any n00b just like jumping right into a g10 on his 1st day. The a6m2 controls become heavy way before the a6m5, so much so that above 315 or so an F4f can own you easily.

I think I have like a 3 to 1 k/d in the a6m5 flying in my main career. I only ever flew it as base defense.

The zeke maybe easy to turn but its not a new guy plane at all. Just pulling your stick to your belly wont get ya any where.

New guys should stick to spits. They can do everything, from BnZ to TnB to straight e fighting. They are more forgiving and have the ballistics and lethality to make them fun.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
how do you fly
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2003, 05:04:50 PM »
The Zero has enough climb and acceleration to pin an already slowed contact though.  That's the key.  It's like a broom that sweeps up people who are already helpess... and there are lots of those.  As an "open spaces" type fighter though, it's out-classed since anyone who meets one will likely just take their shot, then run away (easily).  There are lots of suckers out there though, so still lots of targets for the Zero.

The Spit covers a wider range of ability though.. it can be a good intro and intermediate plane, and a lot of very good veteran Spit drivers can still find great success in it.  So I totally agree with your final statements... it's a plane you can start in, and grow with.  Hell, if it were 30mph faster at lower altitudes you'd probably only ever see Spitfires around.

Hard to believe some of the planes you see people trying to start out with though... ouch.  F4u's, 109g10, 190A8... damn... you're not helping yourself in one of those early on.

-Soda
AH Trainer Corps.