Author Topic: Video Games No Match for Fighter Pilot's Reality  (Read 214 times)

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
Video Games No Match for Fighter Pilot's Reality
« on: March 04, 2003, 09:56:14 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=2324769

Still video games do have something in common with flying, which is why Navy pilots in flight school often use a modified version of a commercial flight simulator game to hone their skills.

"One guy on the course used this program a lot and at the end they looked back and said, 'Holy cow, your grades are amazing.' They said, 'How did you do it?' He said, 'I have this video game at home'," said Lt. j.g. Steve Dean, who flies the F/A-18E Superhornets.

After that the Navy bought licenses for the program and set up facilities for the pilots to practice, Dean said. "It helped me study," he said.

Frodo

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 10:59:09 PM »
Gotta be something to it... Can't remember the name, but one fo the younger NASCAR drivers swears that NASCAR simulations help him time his responses on the real track.
sand

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 12:33:42 AM »
So what do all those who poopoo'ed the benefit of sims say now?

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79972

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 08:36:30 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
Gotta be something to it... Can't remember the name, but one fo the younger NASCAR drivers swears that NASCAR simulations help him time his responses on the real track.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. said that of the "NASCAR Racing" series by Papyrus/Sierra Sports.  Jimmy Johnson and Kevin Harvick used it, too, as a way to familiarize themselves with the new Las Vegas and Chicagoland tracks.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Re: Video Games No Match for Fighter Pilot's Reality
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 08:38:28 AM »
Originally posted by Frodo
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=2324769

Still video games do have something in common with flying, which is why Navy pilots in flight school often use a modified version of a commercial flight simulator game to hone their skills.

"One guy on the course used this program a lot and at the end they looked back and said, 'Holy cow, your grades are amazing.' They said, 'How did you do it?' He said, 'I have this video game at home'," said Lt. j.g. Steve Dean, who flies the F/A-18E Superhornets.

After that the Navy bought licenses for the program and set up facilities for the pilots to practice, Dean said. "It helped me study," he said.

Frodo

I posted this story a couple of days ago.  The sim is Microsoft's Flight Simulator with a T-34 add-on.  The cadet was based up in Pensacola and the story about how he used MSFS for his aviation training came out 4 or so years back.  The cadet was then assigned to adding MSFS to the cadet training curriculum.